Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

How about a civ that can treat barbarian camps as mini militaristic CSs? You could become their allies and in turn control the units they spawn.

I think it's already been said, a civilization that can produce / buy UU or UB from other civilizations.

link / quote ?

That would certainly be an interesting ability, be a "bombshell" and a "pro" civ (in that you need to be careful not to run yourself into a wall), I guess its balancement depends on the costs and availability, so "need more info".

Also, is this an argument for the Cherokee (adaption ability)? It would work with the alphabet theory if you consider them a late replacement for the Pueblo.

If it were an alien civ, it would have to be made to appear (or have a chance of appearing) in the late game, around the time the X-Com unit becomes available. Then it could actually be fun. Civs uniting to fight off an alien invasion.

But nobody wants an alien civ starting out in 4000 BC.

Maybe a civ that barbarians don't attack and who can boost the barbarians? Give them units, build units for them, etc. The difference between this and a civ that controls barbarian units is that it doesn't control the barbarians, just boosts them so they can raid other civs. Would explain the NA-looking unit as a barbarian.

Though I don't think this is the case it would be a cool civ to play.

My thoughts:

1. We'll not see any fictional or fantasy civ. Civilization is about alternative history genre and even some near-future fiction fits. But adding other genres would be a bad style.

2. We'll not see great changes in game mechanics. Civilization can't live without cities, for example. Any implementation of nomadic people I could think of is too big for just one civ. The idea of military settler replacement and cities from barb camps I proposed before (and repeated by other people) seems more likely.

3. If we consider the mysterious axeman to be a hint, this means what the civilization is:
- Able to build barbarian units and/or grant units to barbarians.
- If it builds barbarian units, it needs some sort of peace with them. I can't imagine any appropriate implementations.

So:

UA: Tribal unity. Conquered barbarian camps become cities/settlers. Could grant units to barbarians (probably gaining something in return).
UU: Tomahawk warrior. Replaces Settler.
The second thing is difficult to suggest, but it would be too dull for such civ to have any typical unit/building. I'd implement some "camp" UI, which grant something and in addition turns barbarians off. This could also be UB.

Speculation time:

-The hypercube civ is Venice;

- The design is all about your trade empire (the fourth dimension of the hypercube):
- you get a UA which links your gpt with your beakers. For example: +100 GPT-> +100% for science in your capital;
or:
-you get the production (all the types) of the cities that you target with your trade routes.

-The civ can still produce settlers or it's an OCC with a special merchant as a settler replacement.

On a sidenote we should remember that Ed (or Dennis) said in an interview that BNW civ are either fan-civ or related to BNW mechanism. He didn't point out to a surpise civ that don't fit one of these two categories.

I pretty much agree with the three points above by stealth_nsk.

What I think is the most probable option at the moment is the suggestion that the mystery civ's units are seen as barbarian units when outside their borders. It is kind of useless in MP when it comes to the UU, so I think it will be all units, and not just the Tomahawk.

I hope I am wrong though, as this doesn't look like a fun mechanic to me.

it's racist to suggest one civilization's identity ties in with barbarianism, especially considering the only purpose of barbarians in game is to kill them. based on this i don't think we'll see such a mechanic in game

The thread is quite long, so apologies if I missed something.

My feeling is that the hypercube civ is Venice. The PCGamer guy said something about a "bombshell" civ, then, when pressed if it was Venice, more or less confirmed it.

I'd say that the hypercube and the bombshell are one and the same.

Problem is... there's not much about Venice that lends them to a super-weird play style. Trading and naval focus are quite banal. The idea that it could be OCC focused is interesting, but not so unusual since it's already an option in the game.

It could have something about building on water, though I can't think of a way to make this exciting. It also robs the Dutch, since that's actually their specialty in real life.

The only other thing I can think of is their government system, with regular changes in leadership... Maybe they regularly get to choose what bonus to apply to themselves from a list? Or they can reassign policies at a certain interval... I don't know. I haven't found a good formula for it.

Resource discovery.

That seems like an extremely narrow advantage—narrow to the point that it's not worth all the trouble of moving a city around. What's a situation in which you'd want to move an entire city because you just discovered, say, coal? Why not just buy a tile, use a great general, or found a new city? If you're going for a tall, culture-heavy game and don't want to build a city, well, how are you generating culture in your mobile cities anyway?

Before coal, iron is really the only relevant resource, and iron is borderline useless as it is. Plus it was never worked by any civilization in the Americas.

It's more about fun than about real gameplay advantages. Moving ressources would actually be stronger in that you can bring them all to one super-city, rather than having to move the city around until you get a super-city...

It could be Venice with a canal UI
This.
Canal UI allowing naval unit to enter land hexes + uber powerful replacement of Galleass.
No capital can hide or run.

Eventually Native American Civ with a possibility for units to go "barbarian mode" so they can attack/be attacked without declaring war.

I am going with Venice as a OCC civ.

Their UA would involve some mechanism to acquire strategic resources through trade routes. (For each foreign trade route, acquire a resource available in the radius of the target city?)

This.
Canal UI allowing naval unit to enter land hexes + uber powerful replacement of Galleass.
No capital can hide or run.

It is not like Venice is known for building major waterways (ala Suez and Panama canal). The Venetian canals would be more logical as a UB.

I dont really see a possibility that the "hypercube" would be anything else then Venice, due to the PCGamer "most serene" "bombshell" comment.

As to how exactly is it "hypercube" i would have to say, that its probably not realy that game breaking and just a lot of promo hype, although maybe it could be something like Venice not being able to produce units and only able to buy them ("Mercenaries") or the coastal settling mentioned before.

The whole idea of "Horde" civ (moving cities, barbarians etc.) COULD be very cool, and, maybe, if they thought of a way to implement it, they would like to test it before Civ VI in one Civ V... but, like i said before, I dont find it probable, becouse I`m certain that its about Venice.

And one last thing... i find it interesting, that (from what i gather) there is a lot of hype about Venice, but the last civ is pretty much a complete mystery, and we only assume its a NA tribe, couse of Pueblo replacement theory and the Tomahawk theory, both being... well... rather weak theories. That would kinda tell me that either the last civ is a "fan favorite" and people will easily accept it and be happy with it, and it does not require a hype, OR it's actualy ridiculous enough, that they just dont want to say anything about it until the last moment, when it would be covered by the Venice hype... OR we only get 8 civ's. Pueblo got scrathed and was not replaced. They just failed to tell us that.

I've thought it would cool if there was an "anti-Austria": someone who could turn their own cities into allied city-states.

If you settle on another continent and the population reaches 6 or something like that you have an option to form a new city-state.

It is not like Venice is known for building major waterways (ala Suez and Panama canal). The Venetian canals would be more logical as a UB.
Game doesn't have to be logical. Clue is about playstyle.

What's more, I am sure that if Venice had survived long enough, they would have a part in making Suez Canal.

Top Bottom