[MOD] Planet Roanoke, a/k/a all SMAC'ed up

Yeah I'm working on it. Big presentation this afternoon, but maybe tonight. (Job, you know).

Wow, Sid's in this thread??? ;)

Padmewan said:
Yeah I'm working on it. Big presentation this afternoon, but maybe tonight. (Job, you know).

Wow, Sid's in this thread??? ;)

Work blows! Will there be a new version uploaded at the other forum to mess around with?

woodelf said:
Work blows! Will there be a new version uploaded at the other forum to mess around with?
Well I linked to your latest edit for now. I want to retest the "no scores" interface as well as the Coastal foodfest "fix" for stability and then upload that tonight, together with a separate download pack for textures. Perhaps we should separate sounds out, too, to save bandwidth. We can then integrate Krikkitone's other tech tree tweak suggestions.

For anyone wondering, woodelf is referring to the space linked to in his sig.

This latest version is relatively stable -- at least, no repeatable CTD's. Lots of hard work from Krikkitone (who figured out what was causing our previous, repeatable CTD's) and woodelf (who excised the 2 unit XML errors), and the whole team for lots of ideas and suggestions. The storyline changed vastly between versions 0.13 and 0.14x thanks to many of Krikkitone's brilliant ideas.

The game is intended to be played at Noble level, and difficulty levels higher than that are not yet implemented. The challenge of the first several dozen turns is now really to eke out basic survival, thanks to a new mechanism that starts your bases at only 1 tile each (representing the alien and hostile planet you now inhabit). Civ's must claw for every inch of progress from there, while strange xenonatives rip explorers to shreds (no wonder civilians refuse to leave the safety of the ship wreckage).

As always, comments, feedbacks, suggestions, and new team members welcome!

Cool. Good work Pad. I'll work on Civs, Traits, and more Leaders tomorrow.

Well, if the colonists have to struggle for every square meter, you could try to implement something like that native stuff decreases the cultural percentage of the plot they're in. Land lost due to native incursions over time, forcing the colonists to hold/guard what they eeked out.

GeoModder said:
Well, if the colonists have to struggle for every square meter, you could try to implement something like that native stuff decreases the cultural percentage of the plot they're in. Land lost due to native incursions over time, forcing the colonists to hold/guard what they eeked out.

So you're saying a -:culture: effect?

Is there anyway to have cities expand in something other than uniformity? going from 1 to 9 to x tiles all in symmetry sucks IMO. I'd rather have a city expand a tile at a time and have the player select which tile he gets expanded!

I think we should move Roze to the Computer/IT deck and leave Zakhorav alone in Science, unless we put Yang there too.

woodelf said:
So you're saying a -:culture: effect?
Is there anyway to have cities expand in something other than uniformity? going from 1 to 9 to x tiles all in symmetry sucks IMO. I'd rather have a city expand a tile at a time and have the player select which tile he gets expanded!

Well, if you code that improvements can be constructed outside "cultural borders", and such an improvement within the fat citycross gives a onetime culture bomb (just enough to get the plot turned over) when worked you're in business. :D
Or else a hamletlike improvement gives a + :culture: when growing so the borders will grow asymmetrically then.

GeoModder said:
Well, if you code that improvements can be constructed outside "cultural borders", and such an improvement within the fat citycross gives a onetime culture bomb (just enough to get the plot turned over) when worked you're in business. :D
Or else a hamletlike improvement gives a + :culture: when growing so the borders will grow asymmetrically then.

I think having constructor units working outside of the safe zone would be cool, almost like a colony if you could then create a culture zone in that tile for ownership.

Cool ideas, Geomodder. In practice I think it would be harder to expand asymettrically than to shrink -- you can't work tiles you don't control, nor can you even build in areas you don't control, unless you fool with the SDK, and then that would require AI, etc...

However, Lattice incursions probably can do the opposite -- suck away Psi. I believe the way each tile is coded is each one is cumulative of all Culture effects throughout the game. Lattice could, every turn, just remove a little Culture from the tile it sits on, until no one controls it any more. Hmmm... how to win that tile back, that's the question...? I presume the cultural pressure from the city would keep pushing back out? Someone should investigate how culture is coded in Python or C++... the "Cultural Decay" ModComp should help...

Thanks for the great ideas, keep 'em coming!

Can you use something like this:

Attachments

• thing.jpg
    thing.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 134
Yes! That could be a Mutagen of some kind since it's humanoid. Very cool, is that from FFH? Whenever I have some spare hours (right) I definitely need to play that Mod, it looks awesome!

Chalid said:
Can you use something like this:

:wow:

You bet we can. Some sort of energy being or like Pad said, a mutagen. Cool.

Anything else sci-fi you want to cook up Chalid?

Follow my sig to find an updated version. New stuff being added daily and people are always needed for playtesting and ideas.

Night.

Hi there, no good news, i surrendered making the dryad into your fungus colors, (your style is not compatible with mine ;) ) perhaps you can do that. And i have not enough time to get into the futuristic units thing... so my first attempts are these, based on Rolands Cyborgs (well, at least some parts ;) ). Also forgot screenshots.
Please have a look at them and hopefully you like em a bit.
Perhaps i will come later on with some units, but for now i want to concentrate my little time on the Warhammer and Regiments Xtreme units.

What i could do are some variations of the dryad model, for different creatures (these i could use for plant/woodelf things too).

Attachments

• future seal.zip
    83.4 KB · Views: 115
  • future seal ohne platten.zip
    73.2 KB · Views: 126
Thanks Sez. I think some variations of the dryad could be useful, but only if you have the time.

I'll have to wait until later to take a look at these in game. Maybe someone can do a screenie before then...

Thanks, Sez, I'd be very excited to see what you've cooked up. The Dryad as it stands is already pretty cool but probably won't make an appearance until Era III or maybe late Era II. We're still debugging Era I :D And s/he isn't really that "off" in terms of style -- we want the various lifeforms to look very different.

Top Bottom