[Religion and Revolution]: Maps and Scenarios

so, can the French sail into the Saint Lawrence River and found a city "where the river narrows"? :)

The best way I've found is to use the gigantic RaR Americas map and world-build a water way up-river to Montréal. Even on the world map it's big enough to take a few days to sail from Québec to Montréal. ( no modelling of "current" in civ 4, but this RaR mod makes up for things like that in granularity of economics.)

It would be really nice to have a gigantic "top of Hudson's Bay, and just east coast to the western edge of Wisconsin, and south to the panhandle of Florida" map. With that much detail you'd really start to have a feeling of geography and not just 'empires to conquer' (which we've been conquering since the early '90's and it's kind of more fun in Rome II., and I like the economic particulars even in total-war worlds. ) OK, Bermuda and Bahamas for the British, but who's them guys? "Washington"? "Penn"? later on that; and, forget "Independence"... What would the Swedes want with independence from Sweden? -- things were tough enough.

I am currently working on a map of the Hudson Bay and surrounding area, for RaR it still needs a lot of work. I am currently working on trying to set all of the civilizations to a random start. I am having some troubles with that :( If you have any suggestions/ideas let me know. And if you know how to fix my Civ staring location problem let me know too. The screenshots are just small portions of the map, you should be able to see a "distorted" overview of the map on the mini map. If you think it looks cool I will work hard to finish it.:D

Attachments

• Hudson Bay.JPG
    Hudson Bay.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Northern Quebec.JPG
    Northern Quebec.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Northern Islands.JPG
    Northern Islands.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 178
I am currently working on trying to set all of the civilizations to a random start.
I am having some troubles with that :(

Simply open an existing RaR map with Notepad++.
(Or another good text editor.)

Example:
TAC South America v.1.05_RaR

There you copy the entries BeginPlayer to EndPlayer.
Replace your entries in your map with those.

Then you will have random placement of players.

Great! I have got it going. All nations are set to a Random start, as well as the bonuses. While the geography is not quite correct it should be fun to play. It may need a lot more work so any feedback is appreciated. Is this something you would like to include in your mod? or should I upload it separately? I am going to go ahead and attach it to this post. :cool:

Attachments

• Hudson Bay, RaR.zip
    27.3 KB · Views: 152
@PatriotNorwood:

Once your map has reached a state that you consider "final", I could take a look and the map could become part of RaR mod if you like.
(You would get credits of course in the credits of the Release they are published and the mod itself.)

Today I wouldn't have any time though.

A few days ago, we were talking about Savannah hills, and that these do not appear on maps generated by the Faireweather script.

Is there a specific reason for that? If you plan to add Coca Leaves as a yield, perhaps it is worth looking into that mapscript to change that.

I was wondering if I should leave the bonuses random or fix them?

Fixed bonusses in maps is usually a very bad idea.

1) It is boring to have bonusses always at the same location.
(especially if people should play a map several times)

2) It often causes problems for modding.
(e.g. we have just introduce a new bonus today, which would not be placed on maps with fixed bonusses)

Try it with this:
(By editing the WorldBuilder-Save.)

Code:
BeginMap
	Randomize Goodies=true
EndMap

Then RaR will create Goodies when the map is initialized.
(It is a new RaR feature. In Vanilla Goodies had to be placed manually on maps.)

Alright here is my Hudson Bay Area map:

Changes:
Added more Ice
Added more Forest
Removed some Savannah
Added Random Goodies

What I can't fix:
No Rivers!
My game crashes when I try to add rivers.:dunno:

If someone could add rivers to the map that would be awesome, but for now its river less.

Attachments

• Hudson Bay Area, RaR.zip
    30.6 KB · Views: 154
Well, after thinking about this I say go ahead and release it as is, I am not really able to fix it right now and the challenge should be fun anyway. Otherwise, it is finished and a great unbalanced joy to play, for me I like unbalanced maps, so have fun!

I've committed a small change to the Faireweather mapscript.

Previously, Savannah hills were generated, but Savannah never appeared without Jungle or Forest, whether on Hills or on flatlands. Also, Grass seldom appeared with Jungle anymore.

I've tested my changes, and they work really well (see screenshots). I'm not very experienced in python though, so I don't know for sure if my changes were done the best way possible. They are really small, so you can easily check them.:)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot4224.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4224.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Civ4ScreenShot4225.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4225.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 207
Top Bottom