[Religion and Revolution]: General Questions and Discussions

I suspect that you somehow increased the colony building value on all plots and they all ended up being higher than some threshold. The value is calculated based on XML values, meaning you could be responsible for the circles even without modifying the DLL itself.

It's quite possible. I radically altered the balance of natural resources on the tiles and as a result many of them have became quite profitable to build new city.

But I am very limited in my choices - or change the game balance, or to stop playing.

In the original (unmodified) version of RaR 2.4 even at the highest levels of complexity I have unacceptably (for me) fast and strong flow of money, resources, new colonists, free-of-payment very strong units.

This is not a criticism of RaR. The developers have created very interesting mod for last Colonization, however with the game balance that they considered the best for themselves and for many of players. For many but not for all of them....

I have been thinking a bit about those circles. I think the real solution is to modify the threshold. Either the threshold should be set in XML where modders can change the value until "it feels right" or it could be some advanced calculation where the map is analysed and calculates the needed threshold, which will place circles on X% of the plots.

Just disabling the GUI for it is removing the symptom of the problem rather than the real problem. Humans can figure out to ignore the circles, but the AI can't. This mean the real problem will be AI starting to place cities a lot worse than it used to.

This is not a criticism of RaR. The developers have created very interesting mod for last Colonization, however with the game balance that they considered the best for themselves and for many of players. For many but not for all of them....
I agree with that statement. I haven't played an unmodified RaR for ages. Part of the idea with RaRE is to make some changes optional in order to allow people to pick the game they want while at the same time only one source code to fix bugs in and stuff like that.

I found how to fully remove these "yellow" circles.

I have to start from my first error. These circles only looks like "yellow" (COLOR_YELLOW). The game's colors are summarized in CIV4ColorVals.xml. For COLOR_YELLOW we have

Code:
		<ColorVal>
			<Type>COLOR_YELLOW</Type>
			<fRed>1.00</fRed>
			<fGreen>1.00</fGreen>
			<fBlue>0.00</fBlue>
			<fAlpha>1.00</fAlpha>
		</ColorVal>

Now if we open RGB Color Codes Chart and apply the values from CIV4ColorVals.xml for Red, Green and Blue channels we will see exacly the same color as our "yellow" circles in my previous post.

RGB Color Codes Chart.jpg

Now a simple question: Does it means that these circles are really "COLOR_YELLOW"?
Funny, but correct answer will be NO!

CIV4ColorVals.xml have the second color that have exactly the same combination of Red, Green and Blue channels. This color is "COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT":

Code:
		<ColorVal>
			<Type>COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT</Type>
			<fRed>1.00</fRed>
			<fGreen>1.00</fGreen>
			<fBlue>0.00</fBlue>
			<fAlpha>1.00</fAlpha>
		</ColorVal>

The absolutely similar combination of Red, Green and Blue channels for both COLOR_YELLOW and COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT means that they looks the same on the screen. Thus, my first error was the wrong color name.

From this follows my second error in the search of place in source codes responsible for these "yellow" circles. I seached "COLOR_YELLOW" and found the wrong place in CvGame.cpp.

The correct place is located also in CvGame.cpp:

Code:
			iRange = 4;

for (iDX = -(iRange); iDX <= iRange; iDX++)
			{
				for (iDY = -(iRange); iDY <= iRange; iDY++)
				{
					pLoopPlot = plotXY(pHeadSelectedUnit->getX_INLINE(), pHeadSelectedUnit->getY_INLINE(), iDX, iDY);

if (pLoopPlot != NULL)
					{
						if (pLoopPlot->isVisible(pHeadSelectedUnit->getTeam(), false))
						{
							if ((pLoopPlot->area() == pHeadSelectedUnit->area()) || pLoopPlot->isAdjacentToArea(pHeadSelectedUnit->area()))
							{
								if (pHeadSelectedUnit->canFound(pLoopPlot))
								{
									if (pLoopPlot->isBestAdjacentFound(pHeadSelectedUnit->getOwnerINLINE()))
									{
									[COLOR="Red"]	gDLL->getEngineIFace()->addColoredPlot(pLoopPlot->getX_INLINE(), pLoopPlot->getY_INLINE(), GC.getColorInfo((ColorTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT")).getColor(), PLOT_STYLE_CIRCLE, PLOT_LANDSCAPE_LAYER_RECOMMENDED_PLOTS);[/COLOR]
									}
								}
								if (plotDistance(pHeadSelectedUnit->getX_INLINE(), pHeadSelectedUnit->getY_INLINE(), pLoopPlot->getX_INLINE(), pLoopPlot->getY_INLINE()) <= iRange)
								{
									if (pLoopPlot->isVisible(pHeadSelectedUnit->getTeam(), false))
									{
										if (pHeadSelectedUnit->isNoBadGoodies())
										{
											if (pLoopPlot->isRevealedGoody(pHeadSelectedUnit->getTeam()))
											{
												gDLL->getEngineIFace()->addColoredPlot(pLoopPlot->getX_INLINE(), pLoopPlot->getY_INLINE(), GC.getColorInfo((ColorTypes)GC.getInfoTypeForString("COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT")).getColor(), PLOT_STYLE_CIRCLE, PLOT_LANDSCAPE_LAYER_RECOMMENDED_PLOTS);
											}
										}
									}
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
			}

Now I found the correct place where these "yellow circles" are described. Here our unit is looking for the best place to found a new city.

Few line above I see the condition when these circles can appear:

Code:
	else if (pHeadSelectedUnit != NULL)
	{
		FAssert(getActivePlayer() != NO_PLAYER);

[COLOR="Red"]if (!(GET_PLAYER(getActivePlayer()).isOption(PLAYEROPTION_NO_UNIT_RECOMMENDATIONS)))[/COLOR]

And here the key point:

Code:
if (!(GET_PLAYER(getActivePlayer()).isOption([COLOR="Red"][B]PLAYEROPTION_NO_UNIT_RECOMMENDATIONS[/B][/COLOR])))

Now I go to Options and see that "No Unit Action Recommendations" button is disactivated. This means that "yellow circles" are visible:
circles 02.jpg circles 01.jpg

When I activate "No Unit Action Recommendations" button, these circles disappear:
circles 03.jpg circles 04.jpg

Thus, I could fully remove these annoying circles, however the problem with threshold still actial, especially when I radically change each tile productivity.

I have been thinking a bit about those circles. I think the real solution is to modify the threshold. Either the threshold should be set in XML where modders can change the value until "it feels right" or it could be some advanced calculation where the map is analysed and calculates the needed threshold, which will place circles on X% of the plots.

Just disabling the GUI for it is removing the symptom of the problem rather than the real problem. Humans can figure out to ignore the circles, but the AI can't. This mean the real problem will be AI starting to place cities a lot worse than it used to.

Hi guys,

I completely understand that RaR standard balancing and features are not 100% everybodies personal taste.
So it is totally valid to modify them in private versions or to publish modmods. :)

But please do not abuse the threads of the base mod for long discussions about mod-modding or general modding questions.
(This will only confuse our players.)

Please create separate threads in Civ4Col - Creation & Customization. :thumbsup:
Spoiler :

When publishing your work, you could also announce it in [Religion and Revolution]: Contributions from Community.

... RaR will never be updated to include corrections for issues like this.

Especially since in RaR base mod, that issue does not exist. ;)
(See here)

Generally you are right though about development of RaR base mod having ended.
And of course there are still a lot of improvments and new features possible.

So have fun (mod)modding. :thumbsup:

Hi everybody,

I am just asking out of interest:
Are there still (mod)modders for RaR around ?

We had always hoped that RaR would become the base for further (mod)mods, just like TAC was the base for our own project.
There were times, where we had so many (mod)modders that I could not even imagine anything else.

But it has become really quiet around RaR after the main project ended. :(
Well yes, it has also become really quiet about Civ4Col-modding in general.

And no, I don't intend to return to Civ4Col modding, since I really don't have enough time to spare.
But RaR was "my baby" for a very long time and I still hope that people enjoy playing and modding ... :)

I'm still around. I plan on fixing the known bug (the one I know) in RaRE, but not much more than that. I appear to be alone on that project. Despite the lack of development, RaR(E) has the most awesome gameplay of any colo mod made so far. I just wish the AI would be better.

Yeah colo modding appears to be really quiet right now. However more or less everybody involved in M:C appears to be aroun, which mean development is likely to suddenly pick up speed again. I don't think that will happen to RaR though :(

Ok I managed to play the game but now I do not know which map size to do. If I play with the max 41 players, max europeans and all but 6 left out natives then what size do I play. I want SOME room to expand but at the same time a diplomatic decision to wage war over land/ not too far that war is useless.

Most of our Players play Mapsize "Gigantic".
That Mapsize is unique for RaR and it is what the mod was designed for.

Mapsize "Huge" is really not designed to be played with 41 Players.
(It is meant for 20 Players like in TAC and already quite tiny compared to "Gigantic".)

So either simply try "Gigantic" with all Players, or smaller mapsizes with less Players.
(Simply take the standard setting for those Mapsizes.)

All Players means:

31 Native Tribes
8 Colonial Players
8 King Players
1 Church Player (automatically generated)
1 Wild Animal Player (automatically generated)

----

49 Players in total

I can only make up to 41 people not the full 46-47 might be me though. Also, how do you counter someone else getting the king's, "Go to war with someone and we give you 4 artillery, 5 hessians, and 1 man o war?" He just (human player not ai) steamrolled at least 5 people and no one can beat him now. Is that just unfortunate for everyone else as we DIDN'T get the random king event? What's the counter

There is only one counter: having a strong army by yourself...

Yeah but his artillary and man o wars are ALL stronger than what I can normally build no matter what. Luckily it was a human team (same team 1) so it wasn't too bad but the difficulty went down from there

Yeah but his artillary and man o wars are ALL stronger than what I can normally build no matter what. Luckily it was a human team (same team 1) so it wasn't too bad but the difficulty went down from there
Yeah, but that's just what the event delivers: a very strong medium-sized expedition force. Deal with it. :)

Actually I consider the current balancing of my "European Wars"-feature overpowered as well.
(4 Artillery, 5 Hessians, 1 Man-O-War is really quite extreme.)

That balancing is simply Schmiddie's personal taste, which is completely ok though.
(He was the last active modder from the old team and could change all balancing to his liking.)

I personally also changed the settings in my private version to my orignal balancing again:
2 Royal Artillery, 2 Hessians, 1 Man-O-War

All important balancing settings for features can be found here:
Civ4GlobalDefinesAlt.xml

Most features could even be completely deactivated there.

Summary:
If you don't like a specific balancing for a feature, simply change it to your private taste.
(Careful: In MP all Players need to have the same settings.)

You can edit CivilizationIV.ini to get more autosaves.

Those are my settings, which will give me an autosave each turn and keep 20. In other words I can go back 20 turns. Setting it to 20 and 4 will allow you to go 80 turns back. You can set it to whatever you like. The only issue with high numbers is that it use more disk space, but that shouldn't really be enough to cause problems on modern computers.

Is there an option to change that setting somewhere ingame or can it only be changed editing the .ini directly?

In my current game (normal game speed, danish) I don´t understand my first colonies storage at all.

I expected the new colony to be able to store 100 of each good and found it a bit high that the basecamp already has +200 good storage, but a few turns later I got a warning that I´m running out of storage space in that city despite no good having more than 200.

Then I noticed the city storage calculation at the top right of the city screen and it went from
264+4/300 to 188+14/300 after the Town Hall was finished.

Has R&R changed the storage from being 100/good as in the original colonization to citywide for all goods combined?
And what do the numbers in the city storage calculation mean?

Edit: And is there a way to see which map I´m using after I started a game? e.g. when I started a game using "New World" map can I somewhere see that ingame in case I later forgot what map I used to start the game?

RaR is using a shared warehouse feature, meaning if you can store 300, you can store either 300 cotton or 150 cotton and 150 tobacco, but not 300 cotton and 150 tobacco. Some yields like food and lumber are excluded from the shared warehouse.

Edit: And is there a way to see which map I´m using after I started a game? e.g. when I started a game using "New World" map can I somewhere see that ingame in case I later forgot what map I used to start the game?
I think it's the popup window in one of the shortcuts, though I can't remember which one. Maybe Alt + D Change player name/email.

Top Bottom