The Global Foyer

This is not true though. What exactly is the benefit? What can we offer CDZ? Nothing. All we can offer is peace.

The point is for them to realize that there is an alliance within the alliance and by themsleves realize that they need us as a meatshield against the others.

The best diplomacy is the one that makes others think that they are taking decisions on their own, when the information you seeded caused that decision.

Things we can offer now/shortly:
  • Settlement location issues resolved peacefully (!!!)
  • Map and scout information (written)
  • Not building up forces along our borders
  • Using our influence and diplomacy in their best interests (with the Mavericks, for example?)

Things we can commit to in this arrangment even though we don't have them:
  • Wine
  • Open borders

Off the top of my head. The key here is to establish a relationship we can build on. We aren't going to convince them to forsake their existing alliance for us at this point, so we need to lay the groundwork. To do that any arrangement is better than no arrangement.

Things we can offer now/shortly:
  • Settlement location issues resolved peacefully (!!!)
  • Map and scout information (written)
  • Not building up forces along our borders
  • Using our influence and diplomacy in their best interests (with the Mavericks, for example?)

Things we can commit to in this arrangment even though we don't have them:
  • Wine
  • Open borders

Off the top of my head. The key here is to establish a relationship we can build on. We aren't going to convince them to forsake their existing alliance for us at this point, so we need to lay the groundwork. To do that any arrangement is better than no arrangement.

like I said, nothing more than peace, the rest are so minor they are non existant.

An interesting developement has taken place...CDZ has settled a city towards quatronia!

This means that:
1. There is an important resource they want there (stone?)
2. They will try and block the land from quatronia, hence making quatronia there primary target at the end of the alliance (makes sense)

My apologies for my abscence - I've caught a nasty cold so I've been in bed for a few days. Getting better now, but still coughing a lot, but I hope I'll be back in business in a day or two!

My apologies for my abscence - I've caught a nasty cold so I've been in bed for a few days. Getting better now, but still coughing a lot, but I hope I'll be back in business in a day or two!

Have a quick recovery..don't worry about this too much, I start to think that silence might be the best option for a little while. :)

Quatronia declared war on us and killed our workboat with their galley.

...so I immidiattely declared war to Amazon and killed their scout as there was no reason pretending anymore....

A letter to CDZ must be written now. Merlot diplo minds must come up with the correct approach. What I would do is tell CDZ that our business will be with Amazon from now on and we will do our best to make sure they don't have a good fate in this game since they lied from us from the beggining. And add the part about Amazon and Sirious being at a very close alliance from the beggining of the game and are indeed an alliance within the aliance.

We have received an .. interesting .. missive from Team Quatronia today:

NONE SHALL PASS

I'm not sure what to make of this one.
Sounds like they're intent on preventing us from meeting Mavericks, and have the sea route blocked (their borders cover the coast). In which case, we need to march a warrior through the land route quick-smart.

It also suggest they are a/the prime mover in forming a game-breaking 4v2 alliance.

Filthy dogs..

We must prioritise Iron Working.

If we are to fight at least two different civs alone, we might as well try and do it in something vaguely resembling military tech parity..

Frankly, I am somewhat relieved this happened so early. Of course it would have been great to meet with Maverics first, but I guess this was to be expected. Although I don't want to fight a war in several fronts I'd rather do that than just be left behind totally and that's what it seemed was going to happen.

Filthy dogs..

We must prioritise Iron Working.

If we are to fight at least two different civs alone, we might as well try and do it in something vaguely resembling military tech parity..

Im not sure the bulk of the fighting will be done with swordsmen...im thinking more along the lines of macemen or later, after all the sooner they attack the more they damage their own econ

The message proposed is blunt but there doesnt seem to be any reason to candycoat to any great extent at this point.

This is what I feel we should send.

Greetings from His Majesty, Emperor Indiansmoke I of Team Merlot!

As you may have noticed team Quatronia have declared war on us and sunk our workboat so that we don't explore further in this world and we have declared war on team Amazon.

We want to inform you that we don't consider you part of this war, despite the 4 nation alliance you are in, and that our business is with Amazon and not with you.

Amazon has been lying to us systematically from the momment we met and we do not take lying and deceipt kindly.

We also want to bring to your attention that Amazon and Sirious are in an alliance from the beggining of game and are now in fact an alliance inside the alliance and will be watching each other's backs till the end of this game...naturally after we and Maverics are majorly overteched and removed from the map, their eyes will be on you, the only remaining threat as they don't consider Quatronia as a major threat.

We will be here to talk openly in case you decide and/or are allowed to do so.

Meanwhile we will focus our entertainment on the badly dressed ladies.

Kind regards,

Sir Caledorn
Imperial Head Diplomat of Merlot
on behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke I

Milord, may I suggest a minute change? I would change this small part:
"We also want to bring to your attention that we have every reason to believe that Amazon and Sirious are in an alliance from the beggining of game and are now in fact an alliance inside the alliance and will be watching each other's backs till the end of this game..."

Changes are in red. I believe this small change would make the delivery of the news a bit smoother. IMO this is the most fundamental part of the message and we want them to take it seriously and not to believe that we're just making stuff up.

Milord, may I suggest a minute change? I would change this small part:
"We also want to bring to your attention that we have every reason to believe that Amazon and Sirious are in an alliance from the beggining of game and are now in fact an alliance inside the alliance and will be watching each other's backs till the end of this game..."

Changes are in red. I believe this small change would make the delivery of the news a bit smoother. IMO this is the most fundamental part of the message and we want them to take it seriously and not to believe that we're just making stuff up.

Yes good change :)

Looks like Quatronia is finally showing their true colors.
I'm a bit confused as to which letter we are sending - the earlier one Caledorn wrote up or the newer one by Indiansmoke. I'm actually fine with either one, it's all up to the King and head diplomat ;)
Since I am ambassador to Quatronia, I am willing to draft any letter you may want me to send. At the present, since they have so blatantly attacked us, I don't feel a need to send them any letter. But if at any point you require me to do so, just let me know and I'll be willing to do so.

I hope you'll forgive me for clearing up the text and removing a few typing mistakes on your letter, Your Majesty. I have added the addendum Aivoturso suggested, and the letter has been sent. :)

The letter can be reviewed here.

Im not sure the bulk of the fighting will be done with swordsmen...im thinking more along the lines of macemen or later, after all the sooner they attack the more they damage their own econ.

I agree entirely.

But Macemen require a source of Iron, unless i'm very much mistaken, so it would be wonderful to know we have some (at least remotely) secure within our lands before we need it.

Maces need copper only! Pikes need Iron.

Top Bottom