Who was England's Greatest Prime Minister

• Lord Palmerston

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Pitt the Elder

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of those two, Pitt; though I'd say that Macmillan was the best.

Who? What? What is 'England?'

Wasn't John Churchill (Battle of Blenheim, Spanish War of Sucession) a PM, or was he just a MP?

Gotta side with Moe and Boggs on this one, chief. :p
Wasn't John Churchill (Battle of Blenheim, Spanish War of Sucession) a PM, or was he just a MP?
People don't tend to recognize "Prime Ministers" before Walpole. Marlborough did more or less head the government for awhile though.

Somehow I thought you'd be the first one to pick up on what's going on here Dachs.

I'm not exactly sure a traitor -- one that was highly proficient in slaying Frenchmen, but a traitor nonetheless -- would be qualified as a great statesman.

I think this is a Simpsons reference to when Barney is arguing with Wade Boggs at Moe's tavern as to who is the greatest British Prime Minister. Lord Palmerston and Pitt the Elder being the only two argued for.

People don't tend to recognize "Prime Ministers" before Walpole. Marlborough did more or less head the government for awhile though.

Was that his brief return to official duties after the death of Anne ? Seems most of his life was a struggle to achieve that role he never got.

Lightspectra: I never realized he was charged with treason, but after a brief skimming if the Wikipedia article, it appears he was never actualy convicted on that. Afterwards he went to win the battle of Blenheim so that sort of equals out.

Lightspectra: I never realized he was charged with treason, but after a brief skimming if the Wikipedia article, it appears he was never actualy convicted on that. Afterwards he went to win the battle of Blenheim so that sort of equals out.

He wasn't convicted of treason because the traitors ended up winning the "Glorious Revolution."

Then its not treason.

Betraying a man you swore your loyalty and trust to, for the purpose of nothing but political gain, is treachery, regardless of whether it's legal guilt.

Betraying a man you swore your loyalty and trust to, for the purpose of nothing but political gain, is treachery, regardless of whether it's legal guilt.

It's never treasonous to betray a monarchy being the scum they are representatives of the archaic and decadent feudal system. Indeed it is right and just.

It's never treasonous to betray a monarchy being the scum they are representatives of the archaic and decadent feudal system. Indeed it is right and just.

Ideologizing history being a bad idea notwithstanding, Marlborough betrayed one monarch for another. In fact, one could even say that Marlborough's efforts prolonged the English monarchy, given that he proceeded to sustain the Williamites with military victories against the French.

Marlborough could be defended for his betrayal of James at the time, but had second thoughts under the regime that came after. Not that their being Royals somehow justifies it. His victories were won almost in spite of them, since they could not trust him, but he would not betray the interests of his country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom