how do handicaps work?

lampshade

Chieftain
i just had my first mp game on xbox live against other players with no handicaps.

i got my arse handed to me in doublequick time. think the guy had built a "supercity" by sending settlers to his capital. i worked this strategy out myself on single player but it seems a bit gamebreaking to actually use.

how do you get to play against other novices? it just wasn't much fun...

I get crushed too. And Im a long time Civ player from pc.

New at Xbox so I thought the ranking system was supposed to help w/ this but my 250 rating is often matched w/ over 1000 ratings.

MP playing may be like real war. Your opponent may conduct himself abhorently but you may have to sink to his level to stay alive.

There do appear to be players willing to use uncompetitive conduct apparently for no other reason than to gain status in their own minds.

I routinely have full armies outside my gates while Im still standing in a swamp. Thought maybe their were secret partners trading techs.

The gaming wikis may also be a problem. Some sharp player has to show off, & show how smart he is by telling the insecure how to play via comic book so there is no learning curve.

Like you Im slogging though & getting better. Finally won a GOTW but Im about 4 & 30 win-loss at emporer. Hadnt thought of the population super city though the science or gold super city is a carry over from pc civ.

Also dont lose so badly at head to head rather than free for all.

Give me a request - we'll play a game.

Gamer Tag
Manock14

New at Xbox so I thought the ranking system was supposed to help w/ this but my 250 rating is often matched w/ over 1000 ratings.

i'm not sure there are many players online.

it does seem a bit intense, and immediately very war-y. i like to do a bit of empire building - before i get crushed - rather than just military teching and churning out units. maybe it's a hangover from being civ4 players that we just don't "get" civrev.

i'll add you next time i'm on, :)

Top Bottom