Current (SVN) development discussion thread

I just discovered that if you save a game when a civ is spawning and then load the game, the new civ doesn't flip any city!
Happened while playing tibet at the mughal spawn and playng as rome at byzantine spawn!
Yes, several of the variables pertaining to flips aren't saved which breaks the process.

Polish should really get some buff:

1. Crammed starting location: no luxury at all, you have to research drama or mass warriors to grow to 12.

2. Too few starting army: HRE is usually strong, and you have to conquer at least 2 cities like Kiev and Novgorod, if there's no merc, you have to stop after that.

3. UB is irrelevant: +10% gold is nice but useless in case of our UHV.

4. UU comes too late: if you go for UHV, you can't have them until 1600s. Military tradition? Way too late.

5. UHV#1: the time is too tight. Although I can make it.

6. UHV #2: you have to bulb astronomy by liberalism, but in this game of mine French got astronomy in 1540. I was 5 turns to go and had no optics yet. After I fail, I repeatedly got fail message every a few turns.

7. UHV #3: broken. All Christian cathedral should count, so I built 1 of each (I founded Protestantism by buying PP from Korean), and F8 screen showed that I completed, but it didn't trigger.

That has been reverted already.

Polish should really get some buff:

1. Crammed starting location: no luxury at all, you have to research drama or mass warriors to grow to 12.

I usually tend to place some gems in the baltics (=amber).

I met the Aztecs in 1230,but I didn't received any conquerers!
Maybe because they just spawned,they also didn't get plague.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0495.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0495.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 377
^Conquerors don't start until 1300 AD afaik.

Culture rate 20% + Amphitheater. Sejmik helps to get fur from someone/anyone.

I met the Aztecs in 1230,but I didn't received any conquerers!
Maybe because they just spawned,they also didn't get plague.

If you visit the new world too early, you won't get the event, and they won't get the plague. It's only fair IMO. It's so easy for the human player to beeline to optics and take over the new world before the AI Aztecs and Incas can even build a second city. I'd recommend to wait until at least 1300 AD. Though honestly, I don't know when the cut off date is.

Constantinople should NOT flip to the Ottomans,the citizens of Constantinople did NOT volunteer to join the enemy.
"Some of our forces are joining the enemy!"
(it is in green!)
I can't think of one reason why that would be good.
Please make it red.

Byzantines/Romans/Greeks also let the Turks have Turkey. Build up units, wait ten turns, then declare war if you want to avoid this.

I tried to do the "SVN Update" and it didn't worked.
Anyone knows what is going on?

Here is what appears:

Command: Update
Error: Working copy 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond
Error: the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization' locked.
Error: 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the
Error: Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization' is already locked.
Completed!:

Try checking out to your desktop, then moving it into the mods folder.

On a different note, Holy Rome needs horses since their old one is now in Poland.

Edit: Sorry, I lied. Constantinople has been getting taken over prematurely a lot.

but in the screenshot i posted there were no cities in anatolia, how was I supposed to do anything if a strong Byzantium had been still alive?

Play the 600 AD scenario...

Ottomans should get a settler on the flip turn at Konya, just in case. With Anatolian cities, it would make them stronger than without that way.

And, why barbs and natives keep whamming against cities no matter how well it is defended? They should just pillage around if winning chance is too low. And units should has a chance to flee(defending units can withdraw from combat, like FFH).
Impis exclusively pillage my South African possessions. :mad: If they actually do throw themselves at my well-fortified and specifically-promoted Crossbows and Muskets things would be a lot easier.

I read it, but I really don't want to mess with the terrain too much. Plains are inaccurate for Mesopotamia and Egypt in my opinion, and I really don't want to rebalance Babylonia in particular. Plus, the Indian UP and Babylonian UHV are balanced around health management so I don't want to remove the unhealthiness.
Gah. I fail to see why Mesopotamia is represented by Desert tiles whereas Central Spain is not. I've never been there myself but Mesopotamia is far from a Desert in SoI, or in any historical description I read of it.

Also, buff Oasis.

Constantinople should NOT flip to the Ottomans,the citizens of Constantinople did NOT volunteer to join the enemy.
"Some of our forces are joining the enemy!"
(it is in green!)
I can't think of one reason why that would be good.
Please make it red.
The Ottomans flip Constantinople if controlled by the AI. It's protected if it's your spawn plot so no problem for the Byzantines.

On a different note, Holy Rome needs horses since their old one is now in Poland.
That's a good point. Coincidentally I know that Northern Germany is quite well known for horsebreeding ;)

I got this error in my roman game:
Spoiler :
Are you sure you don't lack a file from your update? I can't see why such an error should appear.

Gah. I fail to see why Mesopotamia is represented by Desert tiles whereas Central Spain is not. I've never been there myself but Mesopotamia is far from a Desert in SoI, or in any historical description I read of it.
The parts of Mesopotamia that are desert in RFC are desert in SoI too (excepting the occasional marsh which is too detailed to be portrayed here).

The balance part still holds anyway.

The parts of Mesopotamia that are desert in RFC are desert in SoI too (excepting the occasional marsh which is too detailed to be portrayed here).

The balance part still holds anyway.
And yet in SoI Floodplains only give +2 :food:. The supercities in Egypt and Mesopotamia are sustained by an abundance of Food Resources (in SoI and in reality). Which is the reason I proposed this idea in the first place.

Premise 1: Egypt and Mesopotamia's prosperity is based on agriculture. Which in DoC is represented by Farms.

Premise 2: The inability to build anything other than Cottages in Floodplains makes the game more predictable and less fun.

Conclusion 1: Farms should be allowed on Floodplains.

Conclusion 2: Therefore, Floodplain base :food: needs to be reduced by 1.

------------------------
Now after this point, there are several different ways to boost Floodplains after the loss of 1 :food:. A few options have been rejected, but not all.

(1) Reduced :yuck: for Floodplains. Rejected for balance. I agree on this.

(2) Plain Floodplains. Rejected for realism. I still think more tiles along the Tigris should be Plains instead of Deserts. East coast of Egypt could be Plain Hills instead of Desert Hills. Nile Delta could be Grassland/Plain Floodplains.

(3) Boost Floodplain base Commerce. +2 :commerce: along Rivers.

(4) Extra Food Resources in Egypt and Mesopotamia. This is SoI's solution. I also recall that in Synthesis a Rice spawns in the Nile Delta.

(5) Farms yield +2 :food: on Floodplains, but (possibly) don't get the further increase from Biology. Effectively invisible extra Food Resources.

It's really just too much trouble for too little gain.

Top Bottom