Wonders - should there be a cap?

Machu Picchu and Neuschwanstein each require a mountain within 2 tiles. Petra requires desert within 1 tile. Sydney Opera House, The Colossus, and The Great Lighthouse each require coast within 1 tile.

I suppose that adding further restrictions could be fun. Which ones would you add, though? Certainly, we can't say "must be built in Greece" or "must be built in the new world" and other geographical restrictions should make sense (Machu Picchu without mountains wouldn't be very wonderful). Some wonders probably can't be restricted (i.e. The Great Firewall, Hubble Space Telescope).

I wouldn't mind seeing a tundra exclusive wonder or even a wonder that can only be built on a marsh (i can't think of what wonder that would be...maybe that's why there are none...).

I also like the idea that was just mentioned that certain wonders would not be allowed to be built in the capital

I wouldn't mind seeing a tundra exclusive wonder or even a wonder that can only be built on a marsh (i can't think of what wonder that would be...maybe that's why there are none...).

I also like the idea that was just mentioned that certain wonders would not be allowed to be built in the capital

OK, but what about the existing wonders?

OK, but what about the existing wonders?

beats me. if i got paid to think about these ideas then i might spend more time on it. i'll leave that question to others who are interested. until then i'll be grating some cheese and cutting some vegetables for tomorrow. My household will have excess :c5food: and by the end of the night negative :c5production:
:)

I would prefer it if you needed to build prerequisites to buid wonders.
Libraries before the great library.
Walls before the great wall.
workers before pyramids.
Temples for oracle etc.
Colloseums for notre dame.
universities for the porcelain tower.
Now that would limit the wonder hogging. Well unless you choose to cripple your civ by going OCC. That might also even out wide and tall.

I would prefer it if you needed to build prerequisites to buid wonders.
Libraries before the great library.
Walls before the great wall.
workers before pyramids.
Temples for oracle etc.
Colloseums for notre dame.
universities for the porcelain tower.
Now that would limit the wonder hogging. Well unless you choose to cripple your civ by going OCC. That might also even out wide and tall.

1. Requiring a Library in order to build The Great Library actually lessens the utility of The Great Library. Part of the deal is that you get a free Library. The same is true for many other wonders (e.g. Hagia Sophia gives a free Temple).

2. When you say "Libraries", do you mean more than one Library? Such a requirement would severely restrict wonder building in wide empires.

Some modifications:

- Great Wall should cost more based on how much city/land you have. Makes no sense it takes the same amount of turns when it affects ALL land. A player with a lot more land would get more out of it with the same cost.

- Actually many wonders with a wide systemic effect should have longer production - this evens the playing field considering the AI always spam cities like mad while they also get way more out of wonders like Machu Pichu, forbidden palace, kremlin, and so on. However in most cases it certainly makes no "realistic" sense why a wide empire should take longer times to build the samething if they found the idea first (tech discovery.)

I don't think there is enough of a penalty for focusing all out on wonders, which can best be seen on Emperor and below where you can get super cities with every world wonder known to man built in one place.

It's quite rare that you get all world wonders build in one city even on settler. That city would need desert(Petra), coast(Great lighthouse) and two mountains(Machu picchu). This kind of starting location is quite rare

Top Bottom