The Modder's Guide to Civ4

white rabbit said:
So... anybody understand how to access the models and where they are saved in your Civ 4 folders?
The models are the .nif files in the various unit folders (Assets\Art\Units), but you can't make or modify models yet. There is no available program that can create the proper models. We have to wait for Firaxis to release the tools, or for the niftools team to adapt their plugin to work with Civ4.

Which files do I have to modify to create a new building? I am trying to create a new building for a civ and give it to them to make it a dependency for a couple of national wonders. However I get the error
Tag:BUILDINGCLASS_TEXAS in Info class was incorrect, Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationsInfos.xml
I have created the entries for this building in CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml, CIV4BuildingInfos.xml and CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_BuildingsProjects.xml. AM I missing somewhere? I am trying to use default building models for now.
The text from that xml file is
<FreeBuildingClasses>
<FreeBuildingClass>
<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_TEXAS</BuildingClassType>
<bFreeBuildingClass>1</bFreeBuildingClass>
</FreeBuildingClass>
<FreeBuildingClass> <BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClassType>
<bFreeBuildingClass>1</bFreeBuildingClass>
</FreeBuildingClass>

This works if I change from TEXAS to COLOSSUS, so I don't think that the syntax is an issue, and I basically copied all the entries for another building in the other 3 xml files and changed the BUILDINGCLASS and BUILDING keys. Can you not add new buildings at all at this point? or am I missing something?
Thanks,

Try clearing the cache...

Weasel Op said:
The models are the .nif files in the various unit folders (Assets\Art\Units), but you can't make or modify models yet. There is no available program that can create the proper models. We have to wait for Firaxis to release the tools, or for the niftools team to adapt their plugin to work with Civ4.

sorry, no offense, thats a complete pain in the jacksy. i thought this was supposed to be the most moddable version of civ yet?? in every other version of civ it has been reasonably simple to create or edit units -what decent scenario didnt have its own units ? come on Firaxis, what are you playing at!!!

:rolleyes:

where should I look in the python files for editing what happens when an event occurs. For example, if I wanted to change the effects of a golden age. Or even how I would go about adding in an event. Say, I wanted to add an earthquake event. I'm sure once I find the right files, I can make some stuff with enough studying of them. But it would be nice to know where this stuff is kept in the python folder.

Sorry everyone, I've been traveling the last few days with no internet access. I've been meaning to compile a list of what XML and Python files are needed to do what, and what information is contained in each file. But of course I haven't gotten around to it yet.
kamandi, I don't know the answers to your question ATM, but that is the sort of thing that I will be documenting. Clearing the cache may help.
Lucas87, I also think CvEventManager.py is what you need.

Weasel Op said:
kamandi, I don't know the answers to your question ATM, but that is the sort of thing that I will be documenting. Clearing the cache may help.

Clearing the cache did work. Didn't think that was the problem as some other new stuff showed up, but now I clear the cache everytime I modify anything just to make sure.

Hi all,

Great thread! It inspired me to register for the forums...

I've been trying a fairly simple mod to make PBEM games start a bit faster (e.g. 3 settlers to start instead of 1). One feature of the standard game I haven't been able to locate, though: the scout that expansive civilizations start with. If a civilization is modified to start with more free units (e.g. settlers and warriors), it loses the scout. I could put the scout back in "by hand," but that won't work for, say, the English, where one leader is expansive and the other is not.

Any ideas where in the code that scout hides?

Has anybody here any useful informations regarding the possibilitys of the SDK regarding 3D-Modells, most important of course, wether or not it's possible to import new models at all. If so, what specifications have new models to fulfill, eg. Poly-/Trianglecount, Dataformats ect.

With the SDK, a C++ programmer will be able to change the way the game works. Not just new material, or scripted events, but changes to the actual gameplay mechanics. With the SDK, Civ4 will be more like a gaming "platform" as Firaxis put it, rather than a single game. Everything from sharing food among cities to multiple maps to an RPG conversion have been proposed.

thank u that answers my question.

any idea when the sdk is gona come out? we're already halfway into Q1

Top Bottom