Science questions not worth a thread I: I'm a moron!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler Gross question. Make sure you're not eating. :
How does constipation actually work? As in, what are all the biochemical mechanisms at play that cause it, and so forth?

Constipation is a symptom with many causes. These causes are of two types: obstructed defecation and colonic slow transit (or hypomobility). About 50% of patients evaluated for constipation at tertiary referral hospitals have obstructed defecation.[3] This type of constipation has mechanical and functional causes. Causes of colonic slow transit constipation include diet, hormones, side effects of medications, and heavy metal toxicity.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constipation

I got 2 totally unrelated questions.

1) How does a computer work? Im aware about the whole zero-zero-one-one-zero thing, but can someone explain how this works? I think the question i wanna ask is WHY does these 0 and 1's translate to what I see on my laptop right now.

2) Lottery and math... Why does math(probability theory?) tell us that theres a signifcant lower chance in winning the lottery, than common sense would dictate? Lemme give an example: The lottery i play every week, in average, has a winner every 2nd week, and theres an average of 2 million kupons sold, so common sense would say the odds of winning is 1:4.000.000. Math on the other hand, atleast as far as i remember, tells us that the odds are 1:15.000.000. Does not compute?

The zero one thing should be thought of as on / off, rather like a light switch.

The computer is reading a pattern of on / off rather like morse code. A specific pattern of offoffoffononoffonon is translated as 00011011.

Now, that number 00011011 is translated as such

(128)(64)(32)(16)(8)(4)(2)(1) where each of the places you have a 1 in there, you add that number.

So 1+2+8+16

00011011 = 27

So let's say we're talking about how to draw a colour / single pixel on your screen. Each pixel is made up of 3 dots of red / blue / green. That 27 refers how bright to display the green part of a pixel.

Try this, open up Microsoft Paint. Go and create a custom colour. It will give you a range of 0-255 for each Red Green and Blue.

This is because each of those 3 factors is being controlled by a string of zeros and ones in an 8 bit string. So if you use 0 in the 0-255 range it's being written as 00000000 and if you pick 255 it's being written as 11111111

Can somebody give me a summary of the weighted determinants of metabolism.

Say again?

There's many pathways and enzymes involved in metabolism and equivalent potential to screw them up with as little as a nucleic acid base mutation causing a codon error and resulting in any amino acid substitution in an enzyme that can alter the kinetics of metabolic reactions catalyzed by that enzyme.

Literally what happens with 1's and 0's is that electrical charge runs through the circuit and a voltage generated within a certain range of potentials is registered as a "1" (or True). If there is no charge, or the charge generates a voltage below a certain threshold, it is registered as a "0". Circuit logic is built up from gating of the charges into logic gates. Millions of gates associated into functions (arithmetic, memory, etc...) unite to make CPU.

As a point of geekery, I know that the probability of matching six numbers (out of a maximum 49) on the (UK) National Lottery is 13,983,816 to 1, which of course doesn't preclude you being the only person to match all six numbers that night.

This looks like the thread for me. I have a small orange "sandisk" 256 megabyte memory storage thing but it's not in the shape for a usb port. How do I get the data off of it into a computer or something?

This looks like the thread for me. I have a small orange "sandisk" 256 megabyte memory storage thing but it's not in the shape for a usb port. How do I get the data off of it into a computer or something?

What's it in the shape of?

It looks like the data cards you can put in a photo camera. If you have such a photo camera, you should be able to get the data off it by putting the card in the camera and linking the camera to the computer.
There are also dedicated SD card readers, I think.

SD = Secure Digital

It's basically a popular format of flash card that is still around.

Considering I've used this username for eight and a half years and have been obsessed with Pluto for an additional five to six years prior, I should know this by now. :wallbash: I really have no excuse. :wallbash:

What are the precise* coordinates (Right ascension and Declination; I need hard numbers here; converted to J2000 epoch please) where Pluto was discovered -- Discovered as in observed for the absolute very first time, regardless of whether it was confirmed at that time or not.

If that isn't possible, the best* closest approximation should suffice. :)

*Within reason

Considering I've used this username for eight and a half years and have been obsessed with Pluto for an additional five to six years prior, I should know this by now. :wallbash: I really have no excuse. :wallbash:

What are the precise* coordinates (Right ascension and Declination; I need hard numbers here; converted to J2000 epoch please) where Pluto was discovered -- Discovered as in observed for the absolute very first time, regardless of whether it was confirmed at that time or not.

If that isn't possible, the best* closest approximation should suffice. :)

*Within reason

As copy pasted from a Yahoo Answers response:

Here are Pluto's orbital elements.

a = 39.4820851 AU
e = 0.2488325
i = 17.1400169 deg
Ω = 110.3027527 deg
ω = 113.7620984 deg
T = JD 2447799.584

On 25 December 2008 at 12h UT the time will be
t = JD 2454826.0

(JD means "Julian date." It's a running count of days began in ancient times.)

You must do the following math (between BEGIN and END) for Pluto.

BEGIN

Find the period, P, of the orbit in days.
P = (365.256898326 days) a^1.5

Find the mean anomaly, m, of the orbit at time t.
m = 2π (t − T) / P

Adjust m to the interval [0, 2π).

Find the eccentric anomaly, u. (Danby's method is shown.)

U1 = m
REPEAT...
. U0 = U1
. F0 = U0 − e sin U0 − m
. F1 = 1 − e cos U0
. F2 = e sin U0
. F3 = e cos U0
. D1 = −F0 / F1
. D2 = −F0 / [ F1 + D1 F2 / 2 ]
. D3 = −F0 / [ F1 + D1 F2 / 2 + (D2)^2 F3 / 6 ]
. U1 = U0 + D3
UNTIL |U1&#8722;U0| < 1E&#8722;15
u = U1

Note: The mean anomaly, m, must be in radians as you go through the repeat-loop, just above. The eccentric anomaly, u, will emerge in radians, as well.

Find the canonical (triple prime) heliocentric position vector.

x''' = a (cos u &#8722; e)
y''' = a sin u sqrt (1 &#8722; e^2)
z''' = 0

Rotate the triple-prime position vector by the argument of the perihelion, &#969;.

x'' = x''' cos &#969; &#8722; y''' sin &#969;
y'' = x''' sin &#969; + y''' cos &#969;
z'' = z''' = 0

Rotate the double-prime position vector by the inclination, i.

x' = x''
y' = y'' cos i
z' = y'' sin i

Rotate the single-prime position vector by the longitude of the ascending node, &#937;.

x = x' cos &#937; &#8722; y' sin &#937;
y = x' sin &#937; + y' cos &#937;
z = z'

The unprimed position vector is the position in heliocentric ecliptic coordinates.

r = sqrt ( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 )

END

That gives you Pluto's position vector with respect to the sun, in ecliptic coordinates: x,y,z.

To get Pluto's geocentric position vector in celestial spherical coordinates, you have to go further.

Here are orbital elements for the Earth-Moon barycenter.

a = 1.00000317 AU
e = 0.0167068
i = &#8722;0.0013107 deg
&#937; = 0.0
&#969; = 102.9700270 deg
T = JD 2455198.606

Follow the BEGIN to END procedure above, except using Earth's orbital elements this time, instead of Pluto's. When you're finished, assign Earth's position vector a subscript of 1 and Pluto's position vector a subscript of 2. Then do as follows:

dx = x2 &#8722; x1
dy = y2 &#8722; y1
dz = z2 &#8722; z1

t0 = t &#8722; 2451545
&#949; = 23.4392911 &#8722; (3.562266E&#8722;7) t0 &#8722; (1.228E&#8722;16) t0^2 + (1.0335E&#8722;20) t0^3
&#949; = Earth's obliquity in degrees.

dx' = dx
dy' = dy cos &#949; &#8722; dz sin &#949;
dz' = dy sin &#949; + dz cos &#949;

dr = sqrt [ (dx')^2 + (dy')^2 + (dz')^2 ]
RA = Arctan ( dy' , dx' )
dec = Arcsin ( dz' / dr )

And adjust the angular units to your taste.

Definition of the two-argument Arctan function.
atn(z) = single argument Arctan function of the argument z.
Function Arctan( y , x )
. if x = 0 and y > 0 then angle = +&#960;/2
. if x = 0 and y = 0 then angle = 0
. if x = 0 and y < 0 then angle = &#8722;&#960;/2
. if x < 0 then angle = atn(y/x) + &#960;
. if x > 0 and y > 0 then angle = atn(y/x)
. if x > 0 and y < 0 then angle = atn(y/x) + 2&#960;
Arctan = angle

If you do all the above, you can find out that at noon in Greenwich, England, on Christmas Day 2008, Pluto's position was:

(Heliocentric ecliptic rectangular vector)
x = +0.44377 AU
y = &#8722;31.40248 AU
z = +3.23204 AU

The sign difference on the x and y components of that vector, between my figures and those of MorningFoxNorth, are the result of the fact that we take opposite directions as positive for those axes. My +x is in the direction of the Vernal Equinox. His appears to be in the direction of the Autumnal Equinox. Our +y axes are chosen, in either case, to keep the coordinate system right-handed.

(Geocentric celestial spherical vector)
dr = 32.546774 AU
RA = 18h 3m 58s
dec = &#8722;17d 44' 27"

It's really not the answer you want, but it gives you a start in figuring it out yourself if no one has the exact answer laying around.

Here is a picture of the plates for a date of when you want to be calculating:

Yeah I found the card in an antiquated photographical device which found its way into my possession. Did not happen to inherit a usage manuscript

My ancient planetarium software spits out (January 23,1930)
DEC: +21.8°
RA: 7h 23m 15s

Checking the discovery photo from the 23th with my Uranometria 2000.0 confirms this, at least ballpark-wise.

If you want to find the position in a star atlas, it's about 40' west of Delta Gemini and 10' south of NGC 2365 (which is visible in the photos to the right of the pair of bright stars).

As a point of geekery, I know that the probability of matching six numbers (out of a maximum 49) on the (UK) National Lottery is 13,983,816 to 1, which of course doesn't preclude you being the only person to match all six numbers that night.

(6/49) * (5/48) * (4/47) * (3/46) * (2/45) * (1/44)

which is

0.000000071511238%

Which is 1/13,983,816

edit: damn, misread. Thought you were asking how those odds were calculated ><

Anybody know who decides the LHC schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom