Captured cities immediately annexed

BroOfTheSun

Warlord
I downloaded the patch and played a game last night. I noticed that when I captured a city, I immediately annexed the city. I wasn't shown the pop-up to select whether I want to create a puppet or annex it. Is this bug?

Later in the game when I discovered new city states, I didn't get the pop-up for the city state. I was getting the city-state pop-up during the start of the game (i.e. during the first 100 turns). Is this a related bug?

I'm posting this from a different computer, and do not have my save files to attach with the bug report. There's only so much info I can provide at the moment, but will provide my save files and more info when I get home. For now I just wanted to post this bug and see if anyone else can confirm it.

I have seen the same bug with the auto-annex. I did find, however, that if I saved the game and reloaded, I would not always hit the same bug - it did give me the option. But definitely there's a problem here with the new patch.

We are having problems reproducing this one. If you guys are familiar with the Tuner, there are a couple things we could try. Let me know.

I'll upload my save file for tomorrow. If what UWHabs says is correct, re-loading the game may fix the bug and I won't be able to reproduce it (even if I did, attaching my save file then loading from that file would fix the issue). As long as we have this workaround, this shouldn't be a big issue.

I'll upload my save file for tomorrow. If what UWHabs says is correct, re-loading the game may fix the bug and I won't be able to reproduce it (even if I did, attaching my save file then loading from that file would fix the issue). As long as we have this workaround, this shouldn't be a big issue.

I should also clarify, reloading seemed to fix it for the immediate case, but a few turns later I again sometimes wasn't given the option. It'd be like:
turn 1: capture city - annex immediately
[reload]
turn 1a: capture city - given choice
turn 4a (for example): capture city, annex immediately.

So simply reloading doesn't fix the issue permanently, but it seems to solve the immediate case. I can upload a save file tonight. Not sure if it's relevant, but my game was started pre-patch.

I should also clarify, reloading seemed to fix it for the immediate case, but a few turns later I again sometimes wasn't given the option. It'd be like:
turn 1: capture city - annex immediately
[reload]
turn 1a: capture city - given choice
turn 4a (for example): capture city, annex immediately.

So simply reloading doesn't fix the issue permanently, but it seems to solve the immediate case. I can upload a save file tonight. Not sure if it's relevant, but my game was started pre-patch.

If you wanted to lend a hand (if this is happening to you quite a bit), here's what you can do if you have the Tuner enabled.

If the Auto Annex bug occurs, keep the game running, but don't advance the turn, and start up the Tuner. Go to the Lua Console Tab, then select World View in the Lua State dropdown , right below the tab.

In the edit box at the bottom of the panel, paste in this line:

Game.IsOption(GameOptionTypes.GAMEOPTION_NO_CITY_HAPPINESS);

Let us know if it shows either "false" or "true".

Our engineering lead has a hunch on why this might be occurring, but we have yet to reproduce it here.

Just wanted to point out that in dshirk's preceding post, an anomaly in the forum software causes an erroneous space to appear in the command near the end of his post. Surrounding the command in code tags makes it appear correctly:

Code:

I've tried running with the tuner enabled, and haven't been able to reproduce yet. I'll keep playing and see if I hit it again.

*edit: just hit it again, but looks like the game option is still false:
Code:
> Game.IsOption(GameOptionTypes.GAMEOPTION_NO_CITY_HAPPINESS);
false
Attaching an auto-save from a few turns ago, the start of my attack on Genghis. The first time I played through it auto-annexed Turfan and Florence. Played many times in between. This last time I did puppet Turfan, but when I captured Florence it didn't give the popup

Attachments

• AutoSave_0174 AD-1140.Civ5Save
    938.3 KB · Views: 220
I've tried running with the tuner enabled, and haven't been able to reproduce yet. I'll keep playing and see if I hit it again.

*edit: just hit it again, but looks like the game option is still false:
Code:
> Game.IsOption(GameOptionTypes.GAMEOPTION_NO_CITY_HAPPINESS);
false
Attaching an auto-save from a few turns ago, the start of my attack on Genghis. The first time I played through it auto-annexed Turfan and Florence. Played many times in between. This last time I did puppet Turfan, but when I captured Florence it didn't give the popup

Thanks for this. Could I see your dxdiag as well? Additionally, next time you hit it in an a live game, if you could zip up your logs directory before restarting the game, that would also be helpful. Thanks much!

I don't think I have logging enabled right now, so they don't look like they show too much. I'll enable it and see if I hit it again.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36 KB · Views: 246
  • Logs.7z
    3.6 KB · Views: 218
If I conquer a city I don't get the little window with my options. So I annex it automatecally.
Same happens if I pop a tech with a village. Usually you get this little window saying "You have researched this...". Well, that's missing aswell.

Started happening with the latest patch. Allready validated steam cache ... anyone with the same problem?

Moderator Action: Merged with the main thread about this problem.

Just pointing out I have encountered the same issue a few times. Couldn't replicate it from autosaves. I'll make sure to get the logs if it happens again.

I have the same problem. Every city I conquer is automatically annexed. Also there is no effect on happiness which annexing should bring.

I'm working on Fireaxis Live Tuner to get information of this problem but I can't figure out how to get needed information visible. Could someone help me with it or atleast tell if it's not possible?

If you wanted to lend a hand (if this is happening to you quite a bit), here's what you can do if you have the Tuner enabled.

If the Auto Annex bug occurs, keep the game running, but don't advance the turn, and start up the Tuner. Go to the Lua Console Tab, then select World View in the Lua State dropdown , right below the tab.

In the edit box at the bottom of the panel, paste in this line:

Let us know if it shows either "false" or "true".

Our engineering lead has a hunch on why this might be occurring, but we have yet to reproduce it here.

Command line gives: false.

I've also been having the same problem. Auto-annex, and the happiness is not reduced at all when annexing.
The other day I annexed many cities as the huns, and my happiness was at 18+. Then when reloading the save game my happiness was back to what it should have been, at -28.

Confirming the same things as the others regarding this bug. At one point, the option to puppet was no longer given, and the game auto-annexes. The unhappiness does not show up after this.

When loading a save, the game seem to do a rollback/recount of the happiness and it works as normal (including having the option to puppet again).

Including a save, in case it could be useful (loading this save will not show the bug, it is just a save of the game where the bug ocurred).

Could this bug be the reason we sometimes see a massive runaway AI? If an aggressive AI suffers from this bug too, it's easy to see why they can dominate a continent so quickly in this patch.

I'm having the exact same problems, restarting, loading a previous save doesn't solve the problem.

Save with problem, attached.

Attachments

• Alexander_0016 BC-3360.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 259
So whenever I am playing and I want to talk to a city state, when I click on it.... nothing happens. Help? Am playing on latest patch. This occurred before it too. This is the screen I am talking about:

Top Bottom