Ridiculous Civ... you want to hear this (well, read)

Gdown94

Chieftain
Okay, let me preface what I'm about to say with this: I created this account for the express purpose of telling you all this.

I was (well, am) playing a game on Civ V as the Celts on Emperor (may be King, but I'm pretty sure it's emperor). Anyway, things went pretty well; I built up my empire (holy warriors+celts=win, btw), waged war, expanded, etc, all as I normally do. By the 1600s, my score was a good third to a half larger than that of most other civs. I was on track to get a cultural victory. Then Persia entered the Modern era around 1620 or so. In 1716, he entered the atomic era. He was in the information era by the 1800s. He completed the Apollo Program in 1750.

My only question is this: how? I've logged in well over 200 hours into Civ V, and have never seen anything even close to this. I thought I was doing well by hitting the industrial era by the 1750s or so. Let me give you his stats, as recorded in 1750:

Population: 47,363,000
Crop yield: 1,009
Manufactured Goods: 967
GNP: 2029
Land: 8,200,000
Soldiers: 488,303
Approval: unknown; I was #1
Literacy: 80%

Again, how? And perhaps a better question, how did he not steamroll the world by then? With those stats, and the subsequent advantage over other civs, I would have gotten a domination victory well before the 1800s. Sigh... I don't know. I think I'm going to give up that game lol. He suddenly became hostile, and I'm a long way from the utopia project.

Population: Well their's your problem! If he had those kinda numbers, having a library and university definitely turned his cities into a tech gobblig MONSTERS. Assuming he had 16 cities (that's a LOT OF LAND HE HAS) that's almost a thousand science, not even including any natural wonders, GP, or wonders of the world. If he has that number, he probably DID steamroll a few chumps (as darius is known to do) and sack their cities

1800s is like T270 or something right? You should play it out tbh. Many people knew the AI sucks in terms of prioritizing rocket parts. So that even if they have the tech they won't build it for some turns. Fall patch seems to make AI more likely to runaway since they're building more units with cash and stuff but they are still somewhat poor at prioritizing what to build.

I know in a game where I saw Bismarck tech the last science part (SS Engine I think, he build the Hubble as well) while I was one policy away from Utopia project. I still won the game though. It was pretty nerve wracking.

Don't fret, go on a rampage. The best way to deal with this science-y runaway types is to smash them before they get off the dustball, and on Emperor it is very much doable.

Then again, Emperor AIs with this patch are more... insane, in teching. Like they can hit Industrial in T177 or so, even if they have not much in the way of cities compared to their REXing neighbors.

I agree with the 'rampage' thing, it's worth trying. I just finished a game (Prince, Epic, Huge Pangaea, Inca) in which I was the #2 Civ, well behind a run-away-science Darius (who was my next-door neighbour). He had built 4 sections of the spaceship and I was just half-way through the Atomic age, so I had two choices, either quit, or find a use for the 24,000 gold I'd hoarded and buy shiny new Atomic Bombs, upgrade to Rocket Artillery, and just 'go for him'.

I ended up winning a Culture Victory at just over 700 turns, after completely reducing him to a single city (out of about 25 or so; no one else liked him, either, so no one attacked me). What I found really strange though (and why I had to keep hammering at him), is that after I took Perseopolis (where the spaceship was being built), about 2 turns later, the whole/partially-built ship, gantry and all, appeared at his new Capitol farther back and my spies showed he was building part #5 (Engine)! This happened at least 4 times, which is why I had to keep on hitting him, pushing ever backwards to keep on taking every new Capitol, just to KEEP him from getting that Science victory (he did make the Engine, but never got finished building the Stasis Chamber, because his 'new Capitol' kept ending up smaller and smaller as he lost his big cities.

So I went from a dead loss to a nail-biting win! :)
Has anyone ever seen that happen before?

So I went from a dead loss to a nail-biting win! :)
Has anyone ever seen that happen before?

I won a diplo victory on immortal a few weeks ago. I thought the game was over in the middle ages sometime, Germany and A.N.Other rushing away with tech and everything, I had no chance. Germany had even built atom bombs before I had WWI fighters, but didn't nuke me. I was managing to defend but not much else.

Then one of them built the U.N. and I grabbed my chance. There was a lot of mud slinging and bribing going on, peace with Germany because they had no money, and war with the others just a couple of turns before the vote as I had the majority. Very, very tense finish, and I'm really glad I stuck it out until the end. :crazyeye:

Normally, though, the AI should have had the game wrapped up long before.

The AI no longer sucks at rocket parts. Was playing a Polynesia game and won turn 276 (standard) on immortal. By that time Russia my main competitor has completed 4/6 Space Shuttle Parts - I was quite pleasantly surprised how efficient they were, much better than pre patch

True, I see a lot more Civs making rocket parts now.

The thing I'm boggled about, is how an entire gantry system AND 4 parts of a gigantic spaceship were repeatedly smuggled out of a city while it was being conquered.

Top Bottom