Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

Just got back home... Posted an update with the new release date and the confirmed buyer and publisher.
Thanks for the info guys!

*edit* redundant yahoo news link. removed for reasons of self respect. ;)

This is great!. Hey all! My name is Mark. I have been wanting to join this site for about a year. I just got cable internet, so now I can. I love this! Civilization is the best game ever created. i can't wait 'till IV comes out!!!!!!! :D

We also might wanna keep an eye on this site:
http://www.2kgames.com/
It's gonna be new, so when it is launched, Civ IV will be featured on it hopefully.

Also welcome to CFC Civ_God, as well as Hybrid.

I have a particular question about the map! Having seen the problems a single water layer brings along (ships bumping into submarines, etc) and after having played games such as Call to Power (which features an underwater layer, as well as a sea bottom layer for early and late submarines, along with increasing stealth abilities the deeper it gets) I would like to know if CivIV will use something similar? After all this technology is nothing too new, and I was puzzled as to why civ3 didn't feature it... especially since it will feature 3d maps.

thatinkjar said:
Excellent thread, Civrules. Neat, tidy and exhaustive. I've not seen a better collection of pre-release information in my nineteen years of living. Congratulations!
me too :goodjob:

Arkammler found a recent memo from Sid & Jeff here.

So the key notes from it are that the MP is progressing quicker than expected. They also mention that the graphics are nothing short of spectacular.
Who knows, they might surprise us with much better graphics when the first public screenshots are released, whenever that might be. ;)

Edit: Just realised this may be posted in the wrong place. Sorry! Can it be moved to it's own thread?

This bugs me so much about previous civ games that I'd thought I'd better join your forums and post my thoughts ...

During end of turn processing, I often think of things I'd like to do in the next turn. The problem is that at the start of the next turn, I am often bombarded with pop-up windows telling me of completed production, etc that I have to deal with immediately. By the time I am finished, I can often end up forgetting what I was going to do.

Now you could accuse me of having limited brain capacity, but I think these dialogs would be much better presented as a 'to-do' list that I can deal with at my pleasure. Some of them may have to be 'completed' before I can start the next turn, and some I could just tick off as 'ignore'. The main thing would be that I didn't have to deal with them immediately at the start of turn. This would allow me the chance to maybe do some research before I decided how to resolve an issue, resolve the issues in any order I see fit, or even do the things that I had planned to do before I forget them.

If such a system were implemented in Cvi IV, it would be great to also add my own 'to-dos' to the list, and maybe specifiy that I should be reminded about them in 'x' turns.

Do other people suffer from similar forgetfulness?

I don't know if anybody else has suggested a similar idea, but I really had to get that off my chest!

Mr Blobby said:
Edit: Just realised this may be posted in the wrong place. Sorry! Can it be moved to it's own thread?

This bugs me so much about previous civ games that I'd thought I'd better join your forums and post my thoughts ...

During end of turn processing, I often think of things I'd like to do in the next turn. The problem is that at the start of the next turn, I am often bombarded with pop-up windows telling me of completed production, etc that I have to deal with immediately. By the time I am finished, I can often end up forgetting what I was going to do.

Now you could accuse me of having limited brain capacity, but I think these dialogs would be much better presented as a 'to-do' list that I can deal with at my pleasure. Some of them may have to be 'completed' before I can start the next turn, and some I could just tick off as 'ignore'. The main thing would be that I didn't have to deal with them immediately at the start of turn. This would allow me the chance to maybe do some research before I decided how to resolve an issue, resolve the issues in any order I see fit, or even do the things that I had planned to do before I forget them.

If such a system were implemented in Cvi IV, it would be great to also add my own 'to-dos' to the list, and maybe specifiy that I should be reminded about them in 'x' turns.

Do other people suffer from similar forgetfulness?

I don't know if anybody else has suggested a similar idea, but I really had to get that off my chest!

Nope! No problem for me! ;)

Why'd they have to put religion in Civ4? :wallbash:

I'm not too impressed. But then again I haven't seen the graphics. Where are those screenshots everyone's talking about? I can't find them.

puglover said:
Where are those screenshots everyone's talking about? I can't find them.

Gosl posted them on post #47 above.

Argh! They are turning the tiles into squares! :aargh:

I'm kind of depressed about Civ IV after looking at these screenies. Hopefully it's just a temporary feeling and I'll soon be overcome with joy... :(

The tiles have always been square. It was only a matter of showing them head on and having rectangular maps or tilting them sideways and have lozenge-shaped maps. Why would this point matter so much to you?

- Sirian

LIKE I SAID BEFORE...

If all the people that mod, create and customized civ3 on this site were to team up, they can make civ4 MUCH MUCH faster than the date that they talkin about releasing it.
Only the gamers know how they want civ, let the gamers make it!!

Alpha Infantry said:
Only the gamers know how they want civ, let the gamers make it!!

Sorry, but this theory doesn't work. What I like and want in a game and what you like and want in a game may be completely opposite. Ultimately, games are best when there is one driving vision behind their creation. Do the words design by committee mean anything to you? (This is even assuming that you can get hundreds of people to actually work together without inter-personal issues driving it into a tailspin).

Sirian said:
The tiles have always been square. It was only a matter of showing them head on and having rectangular maps or tilting them sideways and have lozenge-shaped maps. Why would this point matter so much to you?

- Sirian
Well, they've been tilted throughout Civ II and Civ III. Whenever I think of a Civ game with actual square tiles (i.e. Civ I) I just squirm. I'm afraid it'll make the land look totally awkward.

Regentman said:
I'm afraid it'll make the land look totally awkward.

Civ3 graphics involve sprites. Civ4 graphics will be 3D. The only difference between square and lozenge is the camera angle, the perspective. Who knows how they'll handle perspective and zoom in Civ4. I'm sure there will be plenty of screens from other fans when the game comes out, so you can likely get enough looks to know whether or not it will be a problem before you buy. :)

- Sirian

Top Bottom