What are they mining in a mine?

Btw, what are they farming from grasslands that don't have either wheat, corn or rice? Grass? For the human population to eat? :crazyeye:

I'd just like to point out that wheat, corn, and rice are actually all varieties of grass. When the plots have those resources they are farming grass. For the human population to eat.

I'm actually a bit surprised nobody has made a mod yet where every tile contains a resource.

They are mining for Spice melange - it is the most precious substance in the known universe and coveted by the Space Guild!

They are mining for Spice melange - it is the most precious substance in the known universe and coveted by the Space Guild!

That is only found in desert mines. :D

I conceptualize the resources as just greater concentrations than normal, so the answer would really be that they're mining iron, copper, tin, and so on, just in lesser quantities/efficiency than on resource tiles.

I conceptualize the resources as just greater concentrations than normal, so the answer would really be that they're mining iron, copper, tin, and so on, just in lesser quantities/efficiency than on resource tiles.

Then why can't you build swordsmen, cavalry or planes with just those mines?

Then why can't you build swordsmen, cavalry or planes with just those mines?

Bad quality ore or small seams that yield enough to equip some workers with iron axes but not enough to equip an army with steel swords and armour.

I'm glad my random casual musing has provoked so many interesting, humorous and even sensible replies! :)

Bad quality ore or small seams that yield enough to equip some workers with iron axes but not enough to equip an army with steel swords and armour.

That stops making sense when you have numerous (non-resource) mines. Surely combined they would provide enough metal for swordsmen. After all, they only provide a little fewer hammers than resource mines.

Gameplay-wise resources work great, but conceptually they're in a no-man's land between early Civs and Colonization.

Along with why we are here, and how the universe was created, I believe this will go down as one of the great, unanswerable questions of life.

They're not mining anything, just digging a hole to China. If you or the Ai is playing as China don't ask me what they're digging for.

Top Bottom