Custom Scenario Crashes

Levantine

Chieftain
I'm currently in the middle of a custom scenario project. I've added dozens of units to the game, and am using a combination of different terrain arts.

The game crashes when I try to load the scenario for testing, unless I delete every single one of my units and don't tick custom map and custom rules. This makes me think there's an issue in the rules changes I've made, however, further tinkering makes me think it's an art asset issue with the units I've been adding.

So I've fouled up somewhere and have no clue how to proceed from here. The game only loads if I disable the art assets for the units (I do this by removing the scenario reference property in the editor). Otherwise it hangs and then crashes when trying to load the scenario.

Here is a link to the rar. Keep in mind, this is a very early WIP, and I've just been adding things into Snoopy's completed terrain mod. I'm also testing out units, stats, and making sure audio and animations work properly, so the map is just a pallete to test them on.

http://www.filedropper.com/wipcustomscen

Thank you so much, I'm still trying to figure this out. As of completing this post, I've tried changing some file directory paths in the pediaicons.txt, but that doesn't work either. I'm still thinking I've messed up a file directory somewhere. I've been making various changes to file directory path in the scenario search field as well. So what you see in reference to those two may not be correct, but I'm just trying to figure this out. But please, call it as you spot it, just in case.

Yes, I just checked if your pediaicons file paths was the issue as they are all way too long, but nothing has changed yet. Usually when it is way too long, it says it cant read the pcx file, but I figured since all of them had it, the game malfunctioned. Also, you dont need to have scenarios/sn00pys... etc everywhere. That is the mod folder you are using and the game knows this if you specify this as your mod folder which you have in the Scenario Properties, though again you dont need the file path lines as the game knows to look in the Conquests/Scenarios already. That is only if you are specifying another folder in another location.

I'll check again, but need to go to bed.

Yes, I just checked if your pediaicons file paths was the issue as they are all way too long, but nothing has changed yet. Usually when it is way too long, it says it cant read the pcx file, but I figured since all of them had it, the game malfunctioned. Also, you dont need to have scenarios/sn00pys... etc everywhere. That is the mod folder you are using and the game knows this if you specify this as your mod folder which you have in the Scenario Properties, though again you dont need the file path lines as the game knows to look in the Conquests/Scenarios already. That is only if you are specifying another folder in another location.

I'll check again, but need to go to bed.

Thanks for your input. This was my second suspicion after the scenario path in the editor. I started updating to simplify the path. My next suspicion is that the icon pcx files have to be in a art\civilopedia\icons\units folder, and referenced as such. I'm working on updating that part now.

Again, thank you for taking the time to take a look. I'm also going to get some sleep after updating the icons to a civilopedia folder instead of directly in the unit folder. A fresh mind may catch something.

:think:This is what I use to include the units. There are issues after my know also units with the many spaces .
:rockon::old:
Spoiler :
#ICON_PRTO_Bomber01
art\units\C_Bomber01\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Bomber01\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Bomber01
C_Bomber01
#ICON_PRTO_Bomber02
art\units\C_Bomber02\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Bomber02\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Bomber02
C_Bomber02
#ICON_PRTO_Fighter
art\units\C_Fighter\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Fighter\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Fighter
C_Fighter
#ICON_PRTO_Fighter5
art\units\C_Fighter5\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Fighter5\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Fighter5
C_Fighter5

Greeting
Wotan49
:coffee:

The game is not looking into my designated scenario folder for the PediaIcons.txt file. Why is this? I'm trying to figure out why the game is skipping it over. Hmm...

:think:This is what I use to include the units. There are issues after my know also units with the many spaces .
:rockon::old:
Spoiler :
#ICON_PRTO_Bomber01
art\units\C_Bomber01\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Bomber01\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Bomber01
C_Bomber01
#ICON_PRTO_Bomber02
art\units\C_Bomber02\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Bomber02\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Bomber02
C_Bomber02
#ICON_PRTO_Fighter
art\units\C_Fighter\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Fighter\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Fighter
C_Fighter
#ICON_PRTO_Fighter5
art\units\C_Fighter5\pedia\Large.pcx
art\units\C_Fighter5\pedia\Small.pcx
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Fighter5
C_Fighter5

Greeting
Wotan49
:coffee:

I renamed all the units very short names. I also deleted all but one custom unit, and a different unit each time that didn't work. The game still crashes.

EDIT:

I loaded the scenario into Steph's Expanded Editor. Several units' PRTOs are showing errors. Either the icons (one or both of them) or the ANIMNAME path. I am trying to figure out why. The path names all appear to be correct... I know it's something stupid I'm missing. But it's hidden somewhere. It's not like it's just one little typo that's throwing off the rest of the txt file off. Some units after the ones with errors are loading fine, and some before. I guess back to fine-combing through each individual unit folder, and redoing the entire PediaIcons.txt file. I wonder if the txt file became corrupted, somehow... I have been using notepad++ to edit the PediaIcons.txt file in my scenario folder, and notepad++ is known to have null errors while editing. I'll try that out after I get back from work and update the thread if any success.

I found out the problem. Sandris's 1812 Prussian Line Infantry unit is crashing my game. After removing it, my now cleaned up PediaIcons txt file loads with no problems whatsoever.

It was the same with the 1812 Russian Line Infantry (freshly downloaded).

And there was the Marauder unit by CamJH.

The lesson I learned here is to add units in bursts, so it's easier to troubleshoot which ones cause issues. Thanks Wotan and Nathiri for your help. Now I can get back to testing unit animations and sounds, and then balancing them. So excited.

Top Bottom