Game seems to hang for 40min...

Redback

King
Ok... I have played many turns in my game and at one point the game doesnt continue. It keeps saying (in the right corner) Please wait...

Well.. I have waited for 40 min... and still no movement.

I know that I can take a while sometimes... but this is wierd! What to do?

This use to happen to me. I figured out my problem was being triggered by the AI moving a stack of mixed units. Some of those units happened to have the 'wheeled' unit abilities flagged. When the stack tried to move over a terrain flagged with 'Impassable by wheeled units', which had no road connected to it, then the game would fall into an infinite loop.

Do you have wheeled units that the AI can use in a stack? I'm assuming this is why the coders programmed artillery so that it would not tag along with unit stacks. It was probably freezing the game and the easier way to fix it was just to keep them at home.

Also are you playing a modded game? This should not happen in an unmodded game.

It is probably the fact you have automated workers getting lost.

I found years ago that late in the game on larger maps automated workers can reach a point were they never finish their turn. The game will keep coming back to this lost worker that can never get to it's destination, and this stops the game coming back to you for your turn.

I found that if you get in the habit of keeping one non-worker unit on wait when you end your turn that the game will cycle back to your waiting unit and it won't get lost due to your AI controlled worker.

I usually keep the waiting unit at the capital or an airbase near the capital. I haven't had the problem anymore for many years.

Wow nice info.

Its a modded game. But what do you mean by "Do you have wheeled units that the AI can use in a stack? " I dont understand your word stack? Stack them in an army unit?

I also dont use workers in an automatic way. I controle them. AI will does.
If it is a worker problem.... can I solve this in my running game?

Wow nice info.

Its a modded game. But what do you mean by "Do you have wheeled units that the AI can use in a stack? " I dont understand your word stack? Stack them in an army unit?

I also dont use workers in an automatic way. I controle them. AI will does.
If it is a worker problem.... can I solve this in my running game?

Try unfortifying a unit before ending your turn, always leave one unit with no task assigned, I always have one unit that I press 'w' on before I press the button for the next turn.

I always play 1000 turns on a 185x185 map, no problems anymore since I do this late game, usually need to start paying attention in the 4th era.

Ok. I have put in unit in the wait status and did all my other moves.
Then... the game asked me to do something with the waiting unit.
I press 'w' a couple of times unit I press my spacebar to end the turn.
Waited 15min (!)... still nothing happends.

I am not doing anything wrong right?

So if it isnt the discussion you are describing, then it must be the wheeld thing right?

Ok. I have put in unit in the wait status and did all my other moves.
Then... the game asked me to do something with the waiting unit.
I press 'w' a couple of times unit I press my spacebar to end the turn.
Waited 15min (!)... still nothing happends.

I am not doing anything wrong right?

So if it isnt the discussion you are describing, then it must be the wheeld thing right?

Don't hit the spacebar, that ends the units turn.

Just leave one unit on wait and then press the next turn button.

The whole point is to leave one unit still waiting orders when you end your turn.

Another situation that can trigger a freeze could be a unit with problems in the unit graphics. We had such a problem with a shrinked version of the Fiat 3000 tank in the testing of SOE.

Another possibility to cause freezes are blanc lines in the list of city names (Takeo, thank you very much for that hint).

As posted, the most common reason for these freezes is a conflict between stacked units some of them having the wheeled flag and some that dont have that flag in combination with a terrain that is not allowed for units with the wheeled flag (this can also be a combination of sea- and landunits), These freezes caused a delay in my mod CCM of about one year. One of the most strangest still documented situations happened when a unit with the wheeled flag attacked a unit in a tile that is forbidden for units with the wheeled flag:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8817524&postcount=370

Try unfortifying a unit before ending your turn, always leave one unit with no task assigned, I always have one unit that I press 'w' on before I press the button for the next turn.

I always play 1000 turns on a 185x185 map, no problems anymore since I do this late game, usually need to start paying attention in the 4th era.

Tried! But didnt work :(

Don't hit the spacebar, that ends the units turn.

Just leave one unit on wait and then press the next turn button.

The whole point is to leave one unit still waiting orders when you end your turn.

Ok I understand. But! I have put a unit on wait...end all other units and it keeps going back to my wait unit. Then I press wait again, but I dont have a next turn button.

So the only thing I can do is press spacebar.

Another situation that can trigger a freeze could be a unit with problems in the unit graphics. We had such a problem with a shrinked version of the Fiat 3000 tank in the testing of SOE.

Another possibility to cause freezes are blanc lines in the list of city names (Takeo, thank you very much for that hint).

As posted, the most common reason for these freezes is a conflict between stacked units some of them having the wheeled flag and some that dont have that flag in combination with a terrain that is not allowed for units with the wheeled flag (this can also be a combination of sea- and landunits), These freezes caused a delay in my mod CCM of about one year. One of the most strangest still documented situations happened when a unit with the wheeled flag attacked a unit in a tile that is forbidden for units with the wheeled flag:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8817524&postcount=370

Interesting!
So with blanc lines you mean: 'CITY A' the space between the word CITY and the A right?

So if I am correct, you dont use immobile or wheeled flags in your game?

Can it freeze also when a wheeled unit is on a mountain (with road) and the road is being bombed?

Interesting!
So with blanc lines you mean: 'CITY A' the space between the word CITY and the A right?

No, wrong.:) The blanc line is a completely missing entry of a city in the city list of a civ (Washington, New York, blanc line, Philadelphia and so on).

So if I am correct, you dont use immobile or wheeled flags in your game?

Sorry, this is not correct. :) Of course CCM is using immobile and wheeled flags for units. The tactical benefits in gameplay are too big to renounce that option. For immobile units always remove the goto- and the explore-flag (as Firaxis did it with the airplanes). For the wheeled units in combination with impassable terrain it is a massive fiddling of combinations of the single units until at least nearly all pathfinding errors of the AI are whiped out. Nearly means that I´m never 100 % sure, if there will be another strange pathfinding error in the future, but in the last years none of these reports occured for CCM and I had no problems, too.

Can it freeze also when a wheeled unit is on a mountain (with road) and the road is being bombed?

Such a freeze was never reported or observed by me, even when the wheeled unit pillaged that road on the forbidden terrain.

Thanks guys for this info. It seems that I have to restart the game with some adjustments.

So...civinator, sorry for my bad English, but I dont understand what you do with your wheeled units now? The way I look at it is remove the flags in the terrain but keep the wheeled flag active in the unit.

Thanks guys for this info. It seems that I have to restart the game with some adjustments.

So...civinator, sorry for my bad English, but I dont understand what you do with your wheeled units now? The way I look at it is remove the flags in the terrain but keep the wheeled flag active in the unit.

Redback, your English is at least as good as mine :) . The trick is to try to avoid these conflicts in stacks as much as possible -and this belongs to the setting of the units in your mod. If you want to see how I did the settings, you can have a look in the biq of my mod CCM. It still holds units with the flags discussed above and some types of impassable terrain for units with the wheeled flag.

Top Bottom