RE: Monthly Competition Aug 2016

Balthasar

Wise Man
Hi gang,

If there is such a thing as passive obstinacy, it would define my approach to the whole Monthly Competition. But participation in this long-standing contest lately has me vexed. On the one hand, I really believe that this sole monthly event in this forum is kind of proof of life: "We are still here!", as Morpheus says. On the other hand, the MC isn't getting as many submissions as it used to, and it seems that even voting isn't particularly popular - for instance last month's contest thread had 400+ views and only twenty votes.

And for anyone who wants to reply with "Not that much is made here anymore", I would counter, respectfully, that you don't know what you're talking about. There is still a lot that goes on here, and I can prove it. Here is a list of the creations that I found posted to the downloads database here just during the last month of August 2016:

Ancient, medieval, renaissance units -

Ancient Japanese Settler - Shirokobbure
Ancient Japanese Worker - Shirokobbure
Aborigani Worker - Shirokobbure
Ancient Egyptian Worker - Shirokobbure
Ancient Egyptian Worker v.2 - Shirokobbure
Hopi Settler - Shirokobbure
Taoist Priest - Shirokobbure
Kanem-Bornu Cavalry - Balam-Agab
Kanem-Bornu Heavy Cavalry - Balam-Agab
Kanem-Bornu Spearman - Balam-Agab
Kanem-Bornu Javelin - Balam-Agab
Kanem-Bornu Archer - Balam-Agab
Buddist Monk Bowman - Shirokobbure
Sohei (Japan) - Shirokobbure
Vajrayana Warrior Monk - Shirokobbure
Thervada Warrior Monk - Shirokobbure
Buddist Monk Bowman (again) - Shirokobbure
Buddhist Monk Horseman - Shirokobbure
Fortress Bldg Animations for Crusaders - Shirokobbure
Coptic Salibi - Shirokobbure
Othodox Warrior Monk - Shirokobbure
Medieval Japanese Settler - Shirokobbure
Medieval Japanese Worker - Shirokobbure
Inca Settler - Shirokobbure
Inca Worker - Shirokobbure
Khmer Worker - Shirokobbure
Inti Umu - Shirokobbure

Industrial & Modern units, and a map

Industrial Worker - Shirokobbure
Industrial Workers - Shirokobbure
Mexican Worker - Shirokobbure
Qing Settler - Shirokobbure
Qing Worker - Shirokobbure
Early Mahdist Spearman - Balam-Agab
Early Mahdist Swordsman - Balam-Agab
Early Mahdist Javelin - Balam-Agab
Early Mahdist Rifleman - Balam-Agab
Early Mahdist Cavalry - Balam-Agab
Early Mahdist Heavy Cavalry - Balam-Agab
Early Mahdist Camel - Balam-Agab
Late Mahdist Spearman - Balam-Agab
Late Mahdist Swordsman - Balam-Agab
Late Mahdist Javelin - Balam-Agab
Late Mahdist Rifleman - Balam-Agab
Late Mahdist Cavalry - Balam-Agab
Late Mahdist Heavy Cavalry - Balam-Agab
Late Madhist Camel - Balam-Agab
C SubClass Caledon Light Cruiser -Delta_Strife, Ares de Borg, Wyrmshadow
M551 Sheridan Desert Storm - AnthonyBoscia, Ares de Borg, Wyrmshadow
USS Oriskany - AnthonyBoscia
RAF Tornado GR.1 - AnthonyBoscia, Delta_Strife
French Foreign Legion - Shirokobbure
French Marine - Shirokobbure
Northeast (Map) - JustLuthor

As you can see, there were more than enough units made last month to populate a very exciting Unit of the Month competition. And August wasn't an unusual month in that regard.

So I have some questions: I won't run a poll on these, because I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas in full, below.

1. Why didn't these Unit makers post any of these to the Monthly Competition Submissions thread?

2. If they don't like participating in the contest, why not?

3. Would it help to make the poll multiple choice, as in "Choose your favorite three or four units"?

4. Would it be better to simply list the last month's creations, as I have here this month?

5. How about 3 AND 4 - a multiple choice poll based on all units (and pcxs) posted to the database, without the formality of submissions?

6. Maybe I shouldn't be such a worry-wort. We've had some pretty good contests lately after all. One month without any contest submissions absolutely isn't a trend. I should stop drinking coffee after midnight.

What do you think?

Balthasar

I usually have a look at the monthly competitions to see newly made units an graphics. I of course cast a vote when I'm at it. Since real life also needs attention, I use the monthly competition as a quick way to keep me updatet on "What's new". The many brilliant units you list in your post have totally gone under my radar!

Maybe the contest should be opt-out instead of opt-in (units can be entered into the competition unless the creator says otherwise)? Maybe unit creators could give a "Carte Blanche" to let the competition-master enter their units? Maybe we could ease the "One-unit-per-creator"-rule? At least, a monthly review of new creations (units,LH,graphics etc.) would be very useful for me, even without the competition. This of course, mean a bit more work for the "reviewer(s)". 400 views in the competition-thread is not that bad considering it's a 15 year old game. I assume most of the 400 are people who are still modding, and it's too bad if many of us are missing out on the good new stuff (still) created here.

Just my thoughts......

I can only speak for myself, but I have a simple answer to 1 and 2, I keep forgetting, then realizing that it's a week into the new month (It's the same reason I've given my carte blanche to have anything I've posted in the front page posts).

As to 5, that sounds like a good compromise to me.

Hi gang,

On the one hand, I really believe that this sole monthly event in this forum ...

the XOTM competition is also still up and Kind of alive ;)

Since real life also needs attention, I use the monthly competition as a quick way to keep me updatet on "What's new". The many brilliant units you list in your post have totally gone under my radar!

Maybe unit creators could give a "Carte Blanche" to let the competition-master enter their units? Maybe we could ease the "One-unit-per-creator"-rule?

Last first: The One-unit-per-creator rule was lifted some time ago, I'm happy to say.

I like to think of the UoTM contest as a way for creators to showcase their new works for folks like you. Thanks for validating that belief!

I can only speak for myself, but I have a simple answer to 1 and 2, I keep forgetting, then realizing that it's a week into the new month (It's the same reason I've given my carte blanche to have anything I've posted in the front page posts).

As to 5, that sounds like a good compromise to me.

Thanks for posting, Balam. I'm a forgetter too. (Folks that aren't, are entirely too hard on us.) That's why I'm looking for a way to accommodate your needs, not mine.

the XOTM competition is also still up and Kind of alive ;)

Now that's nice to know. I need to learn more about that.

you know, just some weird guys still playing the out-of-the-box game. you´ll find the section a few threads below the C&C one... :)
t_x

I'd say, you select nominees AND let others submit their creations as before, in case you forgot someone or someone finishes a unit and post it before the end of the contest. And as Theov said, don't worry :)

EDIT: or maybe keep some "blank" contests so I can post a new unit AND automatically win for once :D

I like the monthly competition, but I most often noticed it only late or to late (just like this thread :blush: ) and mostly it is very hard to decide which one to vote (as nearly every entry is a gem).

Hi gang,
1. Why didn't these Unit makers post any of these to the Monthly Competition Submissions thread?

2. If they don't like participating in the contest, why not?

3. Would it help to make the poll multiple choice, as in "Choose your favorite three or four units"?

4. Would it be better to simply list the last month's creations, as I have here this month?

5. How about 3 AND 4 - a multiple choice poll based on all units (and pcxs) posted to the database, without the formality of submissions?

6. Maybe I shouldn't be such a worry-wort. We've had some pretty good contests lately after all. One month without any contest submissions absolutely isn't a trend. I should stop drinking coffee after midnight.
Balthasar
1. I always forget.

2. I don't mind competing, its just I never really think about it. And when I do its hard to choose a single one, because I, like several other unit makers, release in packs now. It's crazy when you think about it, back when civ3 was big we waited months for a single unit, it seems since Sandris came its the norm to release larger and larger packs.

3. I don't know. But I don't think that's problem as far as voters are concerned. I'm not sure how many people don't vote because they can't choose.

4. I think that would be nice.

6. I think its nice that this community is still alive. I probably haven't played civ3 in a decade. But I have fun making units and graphics.

I don't know how many people vote. I haven't really in a long time, I probably should more often. But what about allowing anyone to submit a recommendation for best graphic, instead of just the creator.

Also I don't always check the Main threads, but I check my message box when I log on. If I saw a message stating that one of my units was entered into the contest it might remind me to vote.

Hey, Balthasar. First off, you should rest assured that your work at the site here is not unnoticed and not unappreciated. I missed posting something as real world concerns have taken me out of creating temporarily, and I forgot that I even released something in August. I think a multiple choice would only dilute votes further, but maybe people could nominate creations for consideration? In any event, it's not too late to have an August contest if we want, or a bi-monthly one at the end of September.

I think what's really missing is the announcements, which would cover all kinds of work and also keep us alive on CFC as a whole. But that is another thankless task requiring tedious work every month.

I think what's really missing is the announcements, which would cover all kinds of work and also keep us alive on CFC as a whole. But that is another thankless task requiring tedious work every month.
AnthonyBoscia... Agreed.

As for the Contests, it seems things have changed and many do not bother to enter contests or vote in them as was true in the past... so a simple list of what has been created for the month could suffice to let people know what has been uploaded for the month without a contest... and that is IF anyone wants to take on that responsibility to post it.

This, however, would be the same as listing what has been accomplished for the month in a front page notice, which has not happened in a while.

I am Not in favor of anyone submitting work from anyone else or "automatically" entering it in any contest. If the Author does not want to participate or for what ever reason does not want to submit their work in a contest, that is their prerogative and NOT the place for anyone else to Submit it.

If work is submitted to a contest by anyone else and the Author does not want it submitted, the Author would then have to be constantly on guard concerning their work being submitted by others for a contest. This could cause members to be "put out", policing the site contests and having to say they do or do not want their work submitted.

Lets face it... No one likes being Forced to comply with the desires of others. Keep contest participation open and in the hands of those who want to participate.

Keep the Submissions as they have been... but try to encourage the members to participate by entering contests and voting. I will also strongly state that the contests would be best held at the same time each month so members know when to look for them.

...Otherwise, forget the Contests and move on to the Front Page Notice submissions IF someone wants to handle them or a thread that simply shows what has been uploaded for the month.

Well, I had planned to make this post a few days ago, but the best laid plans of mice, you know...

Thanks everyone who posted in this Thread this month. Thanks especially to the unit makers for their input.

After reading and considering all of your replies (and by the way, I could tell that you all put some real thought into your comments, and thanks for that), I've decided to leave the Submissions Thread as it is, but also start to keep a list of Unit Makers who want to sign up for auto-submission of up to three units per month. I'll put in at the end of the OP so that everyone (including a future moderator) can see it. The Monthly Contest Submissions thread is still linked in my signature in iddy-biddy letters below, if you're disoriented by the site migration.

Speaking of the Site Migration, I'm going to give everyone five days (until the 7th) to make submissions to the contest for September (or sign up for an auto-submission). Have to give everyone a chance to find their way around on this new starship.

Thanks everyone for your support of the contest!

Top Bottom