City limits

If I may make a suggestion, I would be forever grateful if Small Wonders could be made to give the effects exclusive to Great Wonders- double happiness and create improvements. This is a bit more than a numerical limit but probably- hopefully- just a binary flag somewhere in the logic. Of course this would require an editor hack as well to implement, but I think Steph could handle that ;)

If it is corruption, you could try giving something common such as the temple or barracks the lowers corruption flag and see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure if lowering corruption is cumalative or not though, so having more than 1 building do this may have no effect, or great effect.

Tom

I just assume it is the corruption. It could be that the ai just doesnt think that they can make more cities. Feeling a bit discouraged right now so I havent really tested anything.

-Ex0dus

I'm not sure if lowering corruption is cumalative or not though, so having more than 1 building do this may have no effect, or great effect.
Each corruption-reducing improvement (the checkbox for improvements, not small wonders) reduces the total corruption by 25% of the base value. So with 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 such improvements you would have 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, and 0% corruption respectively. Whether or not that has any effect on AI behavior, I don't know. It's never seemed to find a reason to stop building cities in my experience.

Civfanatics Hello, I own the German version of Civ3Conquest and already have here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=319554) searched for a way to circumvent the City Limit.

Here I have found the crack and the editor. Then I tested whether the same is also with the German version of my work, and it worked, I can build more than 512 cities and they appear in the game. (See biq "Deutschland 1618 2")

But when I build more cities, and then tested again, it was no more and it appeared the error message. (See biq "Deutschland 1618 5 ')

I tried further and found out that it is somewhere the boundary between work and error message there, I think this limit is approximately 600 cities, in any case does biq "Citys1" but "Citys2" no more.

Can you help me? What could be wrong? At another influence as maximum corruption, or is it break my computer?

Attachments

• citylimet.gif
    citylimet.gif
    30.6 KB · Views: 312
  • biq.zip
    295.8 KB · Views: 225
From my experience, there shouldnt be any new limit. Just be sure that you are replacing all copies of conquests.exe in your civ folder. I know with the Civ III complete version i actually had 2 conquests.exe files in different folders. While I had replaced one of them before (and tested it at the time) the other time i used a shortcut to an outdated one.

-Ex0dus

It wouldnt be happened on cracked Conquests.exe. I just played with over 1200 cities and nothing. Started new one with other scenario and got over 200 cities atm, should check on this one, but how to put into words, this limit fixed in exe, its have been found and changed to unlimited, so its just problem with german version Im afraid. I can use just russian not so legal version, but peeps here says english legal works, so...

I'm getting the problem too, now. It only happens (for me at least) when I use the editor to manually place the cities, and the limit is still a fair bit higher than 512. If I build the cities normally, I'm getting no such problem.

I can confirm this. Looks like the game has problems loading maps with more than 600 preplaced cities, but you can still found cities manually in the game and it works.

From my experience, there shouldnt be any new limit. Just be sure that you are replacing all copies of conquests.exe in your civ folder. I know with the Civ III complete version i actually had 2 conquests.exe files in different folders. While I had replaced one of them before (and tested it at the time) the other time i used a shortcut to an outdated one.

-Ex0dus

;)

It wouldnt be happened on cracked Conquests.exe. I just played with over 1200 cities and nothing. Started new one with other scenario and got over 200 cities atm, should check on this one, but how to put into words, this limit fixed in exe, its have been found and changed to unlimited, so its just problem with german version Im afraid. I can use just russian not so legal version, but peeps here says english legal works, so...
I'm getting the problem too, now. It only happens (for me at least) when I use the editor to manually place the cities, and the limit is still a fair bit higher than 512. If I build the cities normally, I'm getting no such problem.

But why doesnt it work for me and ViroteConsidon, but at Knuckles? Where there are the differences of the problem arise?

@ Ares de Borg

Perhaps the solution if the Scen Cities loads below 600, then the other builds, as Savegame saved, and then the savegame to a BIQ converts ...

Is there such a tool?

just one question-or maybe more like 3...
can you use the cracked conquests on a mac?
is there/will there ever be a mac version somewhere?
i assume the answer to both is no ...so
is there any way to use the utility on windows , transfer files or whatever and play on a mac????:confused::(

is there any way to use the utility on windows , transfer files or whatever and play on a mac????:confused::(
Any biq can be played on a Mac. Every mod/scenario must be made on a winbox, since there is no editor in the Mac version.

Any biq can be played on a Mac. Every mod/scenario must be made on a winbox, since there is no editor in the Mac version.

are you saying that once i make a BIQ on the cracked editor (the one supposedly without the 512 city limit) the limit will be gone on my mac despite me using a standard non-cracked C3C? I thought the city limit was hardcoded into the game-file itself ...which would seemingly make this not work:sad:

are you saying that once i make a BIQ on the cracked editor (the one supposedly without the 512 city limit) the limit will be gone on my mac despite me using a standard non-cracked C3C? I thought the city limit was hardcoded into the game-file itself ...which would seemingly make this not work:sad:
Think it through. You're using a changed editor to make a biq. Once the biq is made, it doesn't need to be played on the machine that made it. If it wasn't going to work every winbox, let alone every Mac, would have to have the cracked editor.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about a cracked civ exe, then any machine must have that civ exe installed to play civ with the changes, so no, it wouldn't work on a Mac.

ok... so unless there is a mac version of the civ exe with the changes i can't play with the changes, right?
i thought that maybe having a biq saved/created from the cracked editor would be enough to play with the changes... but i guess not
is there anyway to get around it?
is it even possible to make/find a changed civ exe for mac?
cause if not, you're saying i will NEVER be able to play without the city limit on my mac - DOUGH!

Technically, the cracked Civ.exe cuts close to the frontiers of being a copryright-violating hack, from what I understand. But, someone could do one. Asking around (here at CivFanatics) for something to be created that gets into that grey area or beyond sooner or later will earn warnings/infractions. Especially since the Mac-related gaming companies are often very stringent about enforcement. I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that risk.

i understand your concerns perfectly well - EXCEPT somehow it wasn't much of a problem to post this original civ exe file for windows - which was posted long ago from what i understand - i have it except IT'S USELESS for me cause i play on a mac!
somehow this always happens to me in life. this is the only game that i play or ever have devoted considerable time to... except i can't play it the way that i want ---reasonably realistic that is ---because there's always some problem...yet other people can enjoy it the way that they want. what a f......g drag! :crazyeye:
believe me
i don't want to sound exaggeratedly agonizing but this s.... is taking the life outta me.

Glad to see someone's pushing the limits of Civ3! I downloaded the files and fired it up, though I doubt I'll have a practical use for it till my next CPU upgrade given that the 512 city limit is more than enough to stretch AI turn times to the limits I'm willing to put up with given my current rig. But hey, if AMD, Via, or Intel keeps on improving single-core performance by good margins, I'm sure there'll come a time (2012?) when I'll be enjoying this mod quite a bit! If not... is multithreaded AI possible?

j/k, what you've already done is more than awesome! But if you do manage anything else, be sure to post with the updates!

i understand your concerns perfectly well - EXCEPT somehow it wasn't much of a problem to post this original civ exe file for windows - which was posted long ago from what i understand - i have it except IT'S USELESS for me cause i play on a mac!
somehow this always happens to me in life. this is the only game that i play or ever have devoted considerable time to... except i can't play it the way that i want ---reasonably realistic that is ---because there's always some problem...yet other people can enjoy it the way that they want. what a f......g drag! :crazyeye:
believe me
i don't want to sound exaggeratedly agonizing but this s.... is taking the life outta me.

Well, it was your choice to buy a Mac and run MacOS on it - businesses have to focus on where the money is to be made, which these days is usually Windows. And fans making these types of mods tend to focus on what they have and what the majority has - which with Civ3, is Windows by a very large margin. You get certain benefits from running MacOS, but you also have to live with certain sacrifices - and this is one of those sacrifices. If you've got an Intel Mac and really want to play Civ3 with 513 cities, go out and buy Windows and a copy of Windows Civ3. If you've got a PowerPC Mac, you can still go out and buy a Windows machine to play Civ3 on. Some CivFanatics that run mostly Mac do have a Windows PC specifically for Civ3.

Sure, it'd be great if it were trivially easy to make computer programs run on every operating system out there, but the reality is that it takes a lot of effort to make programs run correctly on even one operating system, and often it isn't worth the effort to make it work on more than one. The computer gaming world still revolves around Windows, and Civ3 is no exception. If you run a non-standard operating system for what you want to run on it, that's your choice, but don't expect everyone to cater to you. For the most complete Civ3 experience, you'll have to play/mod on Windows.

To your earlier post: I'm sure you could make a mod equivalent to this one for the Mac version, but I don't know the details of how you would, though it certainly wouldn't be a walk in the park. If you really want one, you'll probably have to make it yourself. Otherwise, live with 512 cities or run Windows for Civ3.

Top Bottom