Militaristic CS Giving Away Foreign Legions

Arachnofiend

Perturbed Pugilist
I presume this is not intended, though it very well could be. I'm still in the Renaissance in this game, once I get further in I'll try to ally up with Almaty and see if the Foreign Legions start getting unloaded at Replaceable Parts as they once did.

Attachments

• CivilizationV 2013-07-28 20-00-46-50.jpg
    CivilizationV 2013-07-28 20-00-46-50.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 95
I don't see you mentioning anything that sounds at all like a bug...did you get one from them before you researched Replaceable Parts?

Militaristic city states giving away unique units from a civilization that's not in-game is definitely intended, as the tool-tip states, it should be necessary for you/them to research the tech required for the unit to be built before you receive them.

That is, it's usually been a bit fuzzy as to exactly when city states research technologies. If you're lagging, you'll sometimes get units you can't build from a militaristic city state (or resources you can't use), and if you're ahead, you at least used to have to wait for your city state allies to catch up, so the Foreign Legion could show up slightly early or late.

I read the tool-tip as suggesting that Firaxis has changed things so that your allied city states immediately gain the benefit of technologies you research, so that, if you get that tech ahead of the curve, you could immediately get your ally's special unit...but you may still be able to get it early if you're behind the tech curve, since I've definitely still gotten non-unique units that I haven't teched to when I'm behind the curve.

It's pretty clearly an oversight and Foreign Legions should either be removed from the list of UUs a CS can give or they need to be bound to a different/earlier tech (suggestion: Industrialization or Military Science (the later seems to make more sense to me)), as by the time you have replaceable parts a 34 cs Foreign Legion is severely underpowered compared to already also available Great War Infantry units with 50 cs.

Yeah, posted it here because I figured it was an oversight. Militaristic city-states are supposed to give unique units from civs not in the game; Foreign Legions as they are now are both available in any game and to any civ, making them rather odd members of the list. It would be like MCS's being able to gift nuclear weapons to civs that haven't completed the Manhattan Project as long as they have Fission.

Funnily enough I was playing France in that game so they're clearly not still connected to Napoleon's uniques in any way.

Top Bottom