Meet the Modders

Gray wolf, my mother has a milder, but related condition (General Anxiety Disorder), and it hurts me to see how she gets shunned by other people because she'll just go off on whatever her current trigger topic is (usually women wearing anything she deems to be immodest, and her standards are rather Victorian), so I'm sympathetic to your plight, and will be praying for you, if that's OK with you.

Also, having ADHD, I can get really obsessive from time to time as well (I believe they call it "hyperfocus" in terms of ADD and ADHD), but thankfully not to the extent that it usually affects my ability to function in mainstream society or requires medication (I've been off Ritalin for over 20 years now). *hugs Gray Wolf*

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words. I came here to delete my post but I'll keep it posted. I guess I needed to vent about it.
Also, thanks Hikaro. Hugs and prayers accepted. :)

Anyway, now it's back to modding! I'm about 1-2 months away from finishing a pretty good mod.
I'll probably post some Work in Progress notes about it soon.

I had a bad case of OCD in the past (remember the signature-round building in the sets? ;) a symptom of that). By now i am far more relaxed, mostly due to being certain that at any rate i cannot finish all the work i would want to, even if i wrote 24/7/365. So i just create more freely...

Back doing some more work with Chris Carlson of Clash at Arm games on a supplement to their Command at Sea wargame series. This one will cover the Spanish-American War, and I am working on gunnery in the age of black powder weapons and coal-fired ships. Black powder rapid-fire guns and coal smoke do not make for accurate gunnery.

I'll be spending a lot of my virtual time elsewhere for a month. Clues in my avatar/title/profile photo. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. At least I'm getting course credit for it (part of my independent study). I'm hoping to come back with a map & some ideas about a wuxia scenario.

Probably a little for the whole introduction thing, but I just wanted to poke my head in and say "Hi" in my one post a year tradition I seem to be in.

Hello old friends and new faces!

Some news..

I now work for the public libraries (although without pay for the time being... :/ ) as organiser/presenter of a seminar on introduction to philosophy.
It is mostly meant to urge some of the people who participate in the meetings to pick up books on the subject, from the library or elsewhere.

The first ever such meeting happened two days ago. It was...hm...difficult for me, cause the setting is semi-formal (libraries) and thus the 25 people there were not already to some known degree familiar with something from philosophy. I managed to not die in the 90 min which followed (now they will be 60 min, and a hugely more set format of presentations and questions/discussion).

All in all the first such experience was quite alarming, but i think i did not do that bad, or even not bad considering i meant it (a bad idea) as a first meeting of trying to examine what the people there would be interested mostly in (eg specific or general presentations of philosophical writers and eras). This was a bad idea, cause naturally they were there to be met with a set presentation, but i had not already thought of that. However i have since discussed this with the library heads and they liked my suggestion for the ongoing program, ie to have set presentations, and an overarching theme.

So the presentation will now be first of the age of the sophists, and the previous philosophical schools (in asia minor, coastal thrace and italy), at the point where philosophy arrived in Athens, through those sophists (like Protagoras). I think it will be more or less easy for me to keep this form in the seminars.

Overall i am now confident this can go well, which is needed so that i may get some offers for paid work in the overall field...

(ps: i even had to do a 10 min talk/discussion on a local tv station...live...somehow i managed to supposedly do that well, despite only learning it would be live 10 seconds before we were on air...).

As posted in the other thread, my thanks to those who answered my "survey". When I met with the prof. yesterday part of the discussion was about modding communities as a culture, and how modding relates to building virtual worlds.
:coffee:

Entering the fourth week of the philosophy seminars i am organising/presenting for the public libraries. Near the end of the first circle (presocratic thinkers) :) It luckily went on pretty well..

On my brief research trips abroad again - hence my absence from here.

Plotinus,

Congratulations on finishing your book. :goodjob:

It sounds very interesting and I really love that genre of fiction. So I'd really like to buy it and read it when I get a chance.

Plotinus,

Congratulations on finishing your book. :goodjob:

It sounds very interesting and I really love that genre of fiction. So I'd really like to buy it and read it when I get a chance.

Seconded :)

Why I'm not around as frequently ...

It may look like art, but it's part of my efforts at anthropology of virtual worlds. I'm in a guild for learning the game / RPing on one server and looking for an ethnographic field site on another.

And agree with the comments on Plotinus' book. I'd love to read it, but considering the amount of reading I'm doing for school - even during the semester break - I'll have to put it off.

Age 44,
Home Town: San Diego, CA.
Occupation: engineer / fracking/ oil. Producing American energy.
Education: San Diego State, LSU.
Favorites:
Books: " Panzer Leader" - Heinz Guderian " A History of the English Speaking Peoples"- Churchill & Series by Kenneth Roberts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 88
Haven't posted in months because I've been busy finishing up undergrad prep for going back to a doctoral program. Started what will hopefully be a long-term participant-observation on world/culture design & on-line games. Anthropology of virtual worlds is a hot topic in academic circles. Thanks again to people here who contributed to my initial survey.

Got two abstracts written up & submitted in response to a call for papers. For those who don't know that's an application to be vetted & (hopefully) accepted to present research at an academic conference. Gotta hit the ground running if I'm accepted to Univ. of California at Santa Cruz or Riverside, or NYU - three big schools for anthro. Won't hear about the conference or the admissions until February at the earliest. I'm also working with my supervising professor next semester to get one or two articles submitted to peer-reviewed journals.
Spoiler :

That's my Tolai Hare Pup behind me, having just eaten a mini treat. Looks can be deceiving. It's not all fun & games. Did a preliminary 10 page write-up of this semester's participant-observation: analyzing the cultural context of Pet Battles in comparison to Clifford Geertz' classic ethnographic article "Deep Play: Notes on the Balinese Cockfight". :whew: Next semester some of the raw data collected gets turned into a project on using GIS as a tool for ethnography of virtual worlds.

My supervising professor warned me in August that I'd have no time for family, let alone friends. To give you an idea: did 30 hours of reading, writing and prepping presentation visuals over Thanksgiving weekend. Including 4 on the day itself. Not to mention the 3-4 hours a day doing the participant-observation. Semester break just means a break from writing for a grade, not from reading or doing the WoW p-o. And dealing with the neglected household chores.

Ogedei & Plotinus understand that kind of blood, sweat and tears. Maybe some of the rest of you do as well.

In case I can't check in again for a while ...
Spoiler :

Back to the grind.

blue monkey, have a nice and enjoyable time with your study maybe you can mention somewhere the brave civ3 site an its magnificent unit creators and their special approach towards etnography and world culture...:coffee:

Top Bottom