You Can't Always Get What You Want...

Toast

Chieftain
I Meant To Do That (Part 1 of 2).

It's the Rennaisance era, and I've a slight (though not insurmountable) tech lead. The Celt army outnumbers me 2-to-1, but any attack would have to go through a heavily fortified city blocking an isthmus to the west. The Indians are immediately to my north, and, beyond them, the Ottomans.

With my empire is starting to sprawl, and I decide to build Versaille in my northernmost city. It's a good distance away from my capital, and I could use the culture to clear an easier path for my planned assault on Bombay. Time passes, and the Indians complete Versaille two turns before I would have finished it. I'm distraught, until I notice two things:

1. The money I got from missing the wonder will allow me to upgrade my berserkers into Amphibious riflemen.

2. It got built in Bombay.

3. Bombay is an even better location for Versaille in my soon-to-be expanded empire.

To make a long story short, after moving my units into place, I began my assault on India with a cavalry charge on Bombay, and an amphibious assault on the far side of the continent. I manage to take over 6 cities in 12 turns, and my economy actually improves thanks to Versaille.

Next episode: Oh crap, I've been overrun! Why didn't I garrison more units in - hey, wait, I have a reserve?

I Meant To Do That (Part 2 of 2)

India is taken over in the aforementioned 12 turns. I immediately turn my attention back to the increasingly aggressive Celts on my west. The Ottoman border now runs right up against my city, but I'd long since converted them to Christianity, and have exceedingly good relations with them. Nothing to worry about, right?

Well, I was shocked - shocked! - to find myself getting overrun three turns later, with the bulk of my army getting sent to the opposite front to head off a Celt invasion. As it turns out, though, the combination of: (a) Losing two cities right away (b) Defending a third city further inland with a single archer (c) Pulling my combat forces away from the border, caused the Ottomans to overextend themselves, and put my troops in perfect position to counterattack. My cavalry wiped out the invaders in 3 turns, I re-took my cities in turn 5, and proceeded to wipe them out in short order.

Do you have a screenshot (of the current game)?

Top Bottom