Zulu!

Toast

Chieftain
Playing as Churchill, I've managed, entirely by accident, to re-enact the battle depicted in Zulu.

It's the late renaissance, and I'm in the tech lead. I share a continent with the Romans, and have it under control. Across the Ocean, the Zulus are backwards technologically, but dominate their continent. They've just forced the Germans into capitulation, and control well over half the continent. If I don't move fast, they're clearly going to be a major competitor in the future.

I start building galleons, cash in my great merchant, and start upgrading my crossbows to redcoats. I fill up two galleons, and start the invasion.
I split my forces, using three redcoats to take one city while my second team heads for the next one (inland). Setting up camp on the hillside while my first team heals, I am swarmed by the Zulu counterattack. Their best unit is horse archers/longbowmen, but, unsurprisingly, they have a massive numerical advantage.

In a stunning demonstration of the power of Drill III, my small force manages to hold with only minor damage. My lead unit goes from 14 XPs to 35 (leading to promotions of Drill IV and Woodsman III, for a LOT of first strikes). Reinforcements arrive just as my veterans finish healing, and I've broken the back of the Zulu military.

Never seen that movie. But I have read about the Zulu wars, and this does sound alot like it.

FAAAASANDS of them...

Do you have a save or screenshots?

That does sound somewhat like it actually happened, although I heard the Zulu were able to win a few battles before England overwhelmed them.

Nope, just the one Isandlwana. If you want to get a good idea of the major portion of the Zulu War (i.e the first month or two) then check out the two Zulu movies.

Zulu, about Rorke's Drift (something like 95 British riflemen holding off 5000 Zulus.)

And Zulu Dawn which is the first major battle of the conflict Isandlwana, where 1400 British Soldiers get wiped out. (the movie is a real good showing of how a Victorian Army worked, meaning a rich man bought his way into an officership, rather than being promoted based on merits.)

Top Bottom