TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

From what I've read, sounds like you Tycho had the most nationalist nation of all.

Curious... Where did all that salt come from? :)

:commerce:Can it be used as a resource? How much does it sell for?:p

Hi there!
Haven't red this all through, but is there room for a Indonesian/Japanese player?

From what I've read, sounds like you Tycho had the most nationalist nation of all.

Curious... Where did all that salt come from? :)

Hey, I guess I play the role of a fanatic quite well, :lol:. I would hazard a guess that all of that salt came from the sea, whatever stores we had left, that sort of thing. Boiling seawater gives you salt to use, if I am correct, so the process might be very simple.

:commerce:Can it be used as a resource? How much does it sell for?:p

Now people are just rubbing salt in the wounds. :)

*crickets*

I forget how long these updates are.. but whatever salting you did, probably won't last into the next update [/reality]

About 50 years or so, and the amount of salt that I believe Terrance said was there was not good... Something along the lines of "dunes made out of salt and ash". The ruins of Italy are going to be rather difficult to remake into something new, as after all, it will take maybe a thousand years to reirrigate, plant crops, plant trees, grow forests, stave off the desert, unpoison the wells/aquifers, clear away the ashes and rubble, etc. Plus, I wouldn't really eat this salt... mixed with ash, and blood, and other things, and not a single thing lives in what was once Valyria. So let's see who steps up to the challenge and makes Valyria whole again.

50 years... Blood would decompose within weeks, ash is nutrient rich for plants. Rain would wash away the salt. A battlefield looks just like another field within a few years. 50 years and you would have full size trees again. It would be indistinguishable. Considering Italy suffers from natural forest fires, there are plants evolved that will resist the fires and spring up again within weeks.

The scale of reducing a whole country to nothing is nonsense. You didn't have the man power, and to cover Italy with enough salt to kill off the entire countryside, would require more salt than the world could ever produce. This doesn't take into account that many plants are resistant to salt levels and would happily colonise the land. At best you have burnt down all the towns and cities, and poisoned all their water supplies. The countryside would have been at most unaffected, its just too big for such a campaign.

Poisoning wells is all well and good (pun intended), but the rivers would soon run clear again.

You may have destroyed a civilization, but nature will win out in a short time... Italy will be suitable for colonisation, as much as anywhere else. Heck, there will even be quarried stone are useful locations ;)

True, true, true. Good points, all of them Boundless. :)

That said, Terrance mentioned that Italy had been degraded down to desert and scrub status at the best, so any hardy plants and wildlife will survive but not be as well as we would expect. Standing bodies of water, such as lakes and ponds and other sorts of things of the sort would not run clear of the ash, sand, soil, and salt, and would have to be drained and purified. For rivers, it all depends how fast they run, if they have been blocked up and can't flow properly, and how choked with debris and other sorts of material that will have fallen into them. Main rivers like the Tiber will be pretty clear within a generation or two, except for some small tributaries, but that is something else to take into account right there.

Also, the topsoil layer is held in place by roots from plants and trees. Remove the plants and trees, and during strong winds, the topsoil has a possibility of blowing away. Add the salt, strong winds, massive fires, and other factors, and a large portion of the topsoil could be blown away.

Just some thoughts. Nature will inevitably win out, in the end, but that could take a thousand years or more without player/NPC intervention. Feel free to occupy what was once my nation. :)

Ok. The only part of the Ashlands which is like that is right between Sarkov and Naffas-noth, where the Red Faith marched through and burned everything again. The other areas are at various rates of recovery, but even nature takes time before you get tall forests and pure waters again.

The Samnite coast, being that it was only held tenaciously other than Bellevetum, recovered the fastest. Even there, most food has moved from agriculture to fishing.

I've made my decision that, given the fanaticalism and people-seperation over the past updates (those decisions long ago), most burned their own farms even before the Red Faith got there. I've made the decision that the land is, for now, degraded and few wish to live in the interior of the Ashlands. The Pillars of Salt-They are more spite and stuff than anything, and they probably aren't everywhere. Just some characterization of the curse left behind.

If you want to rejuvinate the land or argue. Or, in fact, try to prove anything you wish and say something is possible, just linky me so I can learn about it better and make my own judgement. :)

As for Nationalism, it is actually more Religious, as the most fanatic/confident nations are those who managed to cultivate a strong and stable religious tradition.

@ The Loser
There's plenty of room.:). Starting at Japan is preferred, as interaction with the chinese core would be possible. Indonesia is fine too. You'll start with low culture and economy, with lots of easily assimilated, culturely similar, but aggresively independent barbs near you. :)

Ah, I see. Thank you for clearing that up Terrance.

Hi there!
Haven't red this all through, but is there room for a Indonesian/Japanese player?

Ooh, yes! Do join me in Asia, it's lonely up here...

Timeline of Xilaroi/Xiyi up to 50.14*
*Xiyi calendar, involving cycles of 36,500 days devised by astronomers to be a number "in harmony with the universe". 50.14 means the fiftieth year of the fourteenth cycle since, acording to the legends, time began.

3112 BC [88.9*] - City of Xilatang founded at the mouth of the Yellow river on the orders of a local noble by the name of Xi Chi.
3110 BC [90.9] - Xi Chi rides out with an army composed of (mainly) commoners and artisans to conquer the lands around them.
3105 BC [95.9] - By this point the Xila have conquered the lands around the Yellow River for fifty kilometres from its mouth.
3104 BC [96.9] - Xi Chi dies of a heart attack. The Xila army returns to Xilatang.
3103 BC [97.9] - Xi Chi is officially succeeded by his son.
3100 . 3000 BC [0.10 - 0.11] - the Tenth Cycle, known as the 'Quiet Cycle'. Four Xila reign over the Xilaroi lands. The third declares himself emperor, but precious little else happens.
2972 BC [28.11] - the town of La Yang is founded, thirty kilometres inland from Xilatang.
2970 BC [30.11] - the first of the famous annual arts contests of Xila is held in the capital.
2964 BC [36.11] - Xiong hordes are encountered by Xila emissaries for the first time. Contact is not made.
2925 BC [75.11] - Xila emperor Xi Ning officially reorganises the Xila class stystem.
2913 BC [87.11] - the Xila emperor officially adopts the title of Silent Emperor.
2910 BC [90.11] - the Xiong hordes arrive on the northern plains of China. Emissaries are sent to treat with them. The mission is a success and the Xiong begin plans of invasion elsewhere.
2883 BC [17.12] - assaults begin on the western kingdom of Zhangat by a Xila-Xiong alliance.
2858 BC [42.12] - the Xila capture the major Zhangate city of Puyang.
2853 BC [47.12] - the Xiong khan dies in his sleep. After a brief civil war which appears to threaten the Xila-Xiong war effort, the old khan's youngest son Ugeden, supported by the Xila forces, emerges victorious. Ugeden Khan becomes the Silent Emperor Xi Lun's protégé, beginning a long-lived tradition.
2829 BC [71.12] - the Zhangat capital of Qi'an falls to the Xila army. A disease spreads among the Xila soldiers.
2804 BC [96.12] - the disease, variously known as the Vomiting Plague, Emesis Plague and Green Death, is by this point widespread in Xilaroi and decimating the population.
2803 BC [97.12] - the Xiong khan and several nobles - Han, Zhangat and Xiong - pledge themselves to the Silent Emperor in return for the services of his doctors in combating the Emesis Plague.
2801 BC [99.12] - quarantine buildings and medical houses are established throughout core Xila lands.
2798 BC [2.13] - the above are extended to the former Zhangat lands, as well as those of the central Han and the northern Xiong.
2796 BC [4.13] - the Silent Emperor's brother, Xi Yi, dies. The Emperor enters into a long period of mourning.
2795 BC [5.13] - the Emesis Plague ends, with minor revisits in later years.
2755 BC [45.13] - the whole of the lower Yellow River has joined the Xila, mostly due to the Silent Emperor's effective methods of halting the plague's progress.
2749 BC [51.13] - the Silent Emperor Xi Chen, who is the son of the Plague Emperor, renames the kingdom Xiyi in honour of his deceased uncle (Xi Yi).
2740 . 2700 BC [60.13 - 0.14] - a quiet period of regrowth begins.
2680 . 2677 BC [20.14 - 23.14] - the Silent Emperor has a system of canals designed to provide both water for agriculture and defense. A complex system of locks and flood gates were designed to redirect water to any one of a series of ditches and prevent any incursion into Xiyi borders. Simple machines were also employed to help rebuild the former Zhangate lands and improve infrastructure throughout the empire.
2643 BC [57.14] - the name Xiyi enters common use as opposed to simply being the official name of the kingdom.

Ooh, yes! Do join me in Asia, it's lonely up here...

I will join as the Japanese!
Tomorrow i'll send my first official orders ;-)

We can then start deviding Asia as we please!

The Trade of the World

Oh once a great empire, now broken people. The gods are harsh as they punish the unworthy. As the Green Death of Bast walked among us trade across the world diminished but as time went by, and as the false god-kings of Anor have been punished enough, trade again begun to flow.

The stories I bring you are from as far as one can tell. Here in Thebes many stories meet from east and west, south and north.

Yet I will tell you the story of one trader who against all odds decided he will find again the entire ancient ports of the world. One who went against the will of kings and gods. The story begins not far from Thebes, at the port of Quseir.

Ahmar, son of Latminos, was an Egyptian trader from the red sea coast. He lived in a small village near Quseir and after his father died from the green plague Ahmar had to take on his job. His family was wealthy and he used this wealth for a trade trip to Axume. The sailing was atrocious and many of the crew fell like the flies under the rob of the green death but eventually the young trader reached the rich ports of Axume.

Axume was barely hurt by the green death. Their gods blessed them with continued greatness and their ports looked as amazing as ever. At first the Ahmar had to convince port officials to allow his ship to dock, fear of the plague was great, but after paying the right people he was allowed in the coastal market. Many sellers wanted to sell him great luxuries, for awfully low prices, in return for wheat and food. Axume was a state of artisans who made beautiful things, but it had few rich farmlands and food growing areas. Hunting was still a major source of food for most of the rural population. Ahmar found ivory, gold and turtle shells for the cheapest prices ever heard. He paid with wheat and a few northern luxuries he brought with himself. He remained in Axume for ten days and made a few close friends for future businesses. At one point it seemed the leaders of Axume might call him for a talk about the future with the chaos in Egypt, but the hopes, or fears, were false. He left Axume and went with his wheat left overs south to Shva.

Shva was a land of deserts, where java beans came from. Wheat was a much needed commodity in those areas and was sold quickly for many special and rare desert luxuries. Shva was not worthy of a longer stay, and Ahmar left back to Quseir, a trip that has taken him several weeks.

One would think, with the chaos of Egypt, the Ahmar could never see the northern routes, yet one would be wrong. The kings of Thebes attempted very hard to remain in peace with the other Egyptian city states and to maintain trade with the far away kingdoms of the north. Ahmar had the possibility of seeing all the great city states of Egypt, one after the other. He sold his vast quantities of luxuries from the south to the hungry-for-riches elites of the other city states. He came near Anor before the city officials decided to leave him out. Eventually with a renewed source of Egyptian wheat and Axumite luxuries Ahmar reached the ports of Demietta. There he hired a trade ship and a crew of ex-Anorian naval soldiers and moved on, north.

The city of Rafah was small but needed wheat. Ahmar did not stay for long and decided Tyre would be a fine target to sell Axumite luxuries. In order to make sure he will have more later he sent his sons back to Quseir to handle another trade trip to Axume to bring more luxuries. If he will succeed in opening a market in Tyre, much more awaits him…

Beurtgang Sturmithing/Lord of Elves
Color: Brown/Orange
Background: The "Beurtgang Empire" is the claimant to leadership of the previously-disparate tribes of the people known as Dhanriag. Its rise to power was largely the question of the triumph of one tribal dynasty over others, and in a series of wars, the Beurtgang have achieved the allegiance or supplication of the lion's share of the Dhanriag tribes. The Beurtgang dynasty is largely the assembly of a large clan of followers to a single patriarch; succession is kept within the clan, but it is not strictly dynastic. Since its formation, the "Imperial" succession has been determined by a series of moots in which members of the clan considered throne-worthy pitch their case to the clansmen of the Dhanriag aligned with Clan Beurtgang. Under the Beurtgangs' leadership, the Dhanriag have taken on a strongly martial aspect, and a "warrior cult" mentality has emerged sanctifying battle and warfare. While not particularly distinguished by metal-craft, the Dhanriag are adept shipbuilders, and have made themselves something of a nuisance to other seafaring peoples in the region. The ruling monarch of the Empire is the "Sturmsvald", and the title the Beurtgangs have given their Empire (comparatively small in size) is the Sturmithing.

Eltain has convinced me to join. Hopefully not too late to do so.

Just wondering Terrance, the Sarkovite and Faithful hordes as functioning as one entity, right? I need to know for my orders.

Nope. Pick one, send guidelines for the other. :evil:

That's what you get for sending a full half of your horde west. If you sent a piddy bit, they can probably catch up, but the large horde ate everything in its path-no turning back. :mwaha:

On that note, orders I still need:
General Olaf-China
Luckymoose-Katan (!)
Zeletdude-Thloryn (!)
Boundless-Sardinia
Gemhound-Osismied (!)

Orders Received
Spaceman-Axum
Eltain-Ctesiphod
Southern King-Dakinsa (!)
Stockholme-Aramya
TerrisH-Atyria
erez-Thebes

New Players:
The Loser- The Katos of Japan
Lord of Elves-Beurtgang Sturmithing

Total Players: 13
Total Orders Needed: 5

(!) Stands for Warning for missing orders once without a PM, VM, or post about NPCing or such.
I will PM those currently without orders.
As such, I can start updating India->Middle East.

For new players
There are many countries out there that are looking for leadership! The Green Plague caused some nations to collapse and others to consolidate- the next few turns will see the slow revival of old powers and the first faceoff of many between the old and the new.

Nations which are accepting orders for this turn: Basically everything, but I will remind new players to read at least diplo after the update so know their position and agreements.

Due date for orders?

Supposedly Wendsday, and the deadline was noon today... Need to finish off mine, this threw a giant wrench into my plans.

Top Bottom