Europa Europa: European Empires Mod

Thanks! I have discovered the more-than-18-civs mod, and am currently in the process of adding quite a few civs: the Serbian Empire (very important; there's always been an empty space there anyway) Principality of Bulgaria (will be a vassal of Ottomans) Kingdom of Portugal, Old Swiss Confederacy (Perhaps not entirely accurate with Holy Rome...) Kingdom of Naples (Naples as a barbarian city doesn't cut it) Kingdom of Norway, and the Kingdom of Croatia (A bit obscure, only a possibility) I will keep working on this aspect for now as the major XML modding part is complete, except for the above problems. :)

1. Problems with religions, icons shown on top of city bar are incorrect

Assets\res\fonts\Gamefont.tga and _75.tga

2. Problems with wonders, wonders show what they replaced (i.e. "The Statue of Liberty" instead of "Mozart's Sonatas)

...i even can't see any custom text in the mod, so i can't search for mozart...

3. Problems with XML, one minor error at gamestartup (not a big deal, I could probably fix it myself)

...and what does the error say?

5. Problems with Ottoman Empire's color, can't get that purple...

Aragon has purple as default color, and 2 civs can't have the same default player color, when both are on the map.

7. Problems with corporations, names do not appear correctly ("player x has incorporated Mining Corp" instead it should be "player x has incorporated Fiat Group")

The TXT_KEY_etc is sure loaded from the default files, because you don't have the key in any of your mod files.

8. Problems with civics, shows original civics, thus pushing bottom ones into other text...

Assets\Python\Screens\CivicsScreen.py, change self.TEXT_MARGIN = 15 to probably 13 (or try 12, if it doesn't work).

Thanks! I have discovered the more-than-18-civs mod, and am currently in the process of adding quite a few civs: the Serbian Empire (very important; there's always been an empty space there anyway) Principality of Bulgaria (will be a vassal of Ottomans) Kingdom of Portugal, Old Swiss Confederacy (Perhaps not entirely accurate with Holy Rome...) Kingdom of Naples (Naples as a barbarian city doesn't cut it) Kingdom of Norway, and the Kingdom of Croatia (A bit obscure, only a possibility) I will keep working on this aspect for now as the major XML modding part is complete, except for the above problems. :)

Bulgaria and Croatia are available as Modular Civs in Civ Gold if you want to take them from there (with Stambolov and Tomislav as the respective leaders). Kochman has been doing a lot of Medieval European civs recently, so looking at his stuff might be a good idea.

It is heartening to see signs of life in getting this wonderful mod into the latest beyond the sword version. Do you need play testers? I'm on spring break...

Okay, I've added all 6 civs (switzerland, naples, croatia, serbia, bulgaria, norway, norway's especially challenging because oslo is surrounded by mountains...) and fixed problems 1, 5, and 8.

Still working on other problems, but another problem has arose with religions: the missionaries are not the correct model (looks like hindu, spreads reformed etc.) Just need to fix a few flags, and the map...

The map will definitely be the hardest part, I need to get all 25 civs starting at the right place and so on... I would do it my self but mapview has never worked for me, so I may need someone else to do this part.

And btw, is it at all possible to have bulgaria be a vassal of the ottomans until a certain time like 1400 a.d.? Otherwise the AI gains independence every 5 turns...

EDIT: Fixed problems 2, 3, and 7

Personally I wouldn't add Croatia. They were never a separate civ till the 20th century.
Serbia, Naples, Bulgaria and Norway are good, but I'm also not sure about the Swiss

Also, why do you want Bulgaria to be a vassal of Turkey?? Before 1400 the Ottomans were not even close to Europe
They captured Constantinople in 1453

The Kingdom of Croatia lasted from 925 to 1102, and existed de jure until 1918; so it is rather historic. Switzerland is not the most accurate historically, although the original EE3 has the Kingdom of Prussia and the Holy Roman Empire. As I understand it, these two countries never existed during the same time period. In my opinion, if we have a Prussia, we should have a Switzerland. But if you want to be totally accurate, one could make Switzerland a vassal of HRE and then give it independence later on in the game. However, Switzerland as I have it (Old Swiss Confederacy) actually did coincide with HRE, as Holy Rome itself recognized the Swiss Confederacy as its own country. (Wikipedia is useful for this kind of information)

Bulgaria... I think I will make it the First Bulgarian Empire link because you are right, it doesn't make the most sense to have an Ottoman vassal in 2000 BC! xD But for simplicity's sake, I will keep the capital as Sofia, seeing as the First Bulgarian Empire had at least 5 capitals, and Sofia seems to be accurate for future Bulgarian states, including Ottoman Bulgaria...

Anyway, I Have all of the civs added that I wanted to add, I just need to fix Norway, Croatia, and Bulgaria's flag and finish the map. I've uploaded an updated file if anyone would like to test it without the proper map and starting positions etc. :)

Attachments

• European Empires.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 331
Perhaps altering the UN to make it like the Holy Roman Empire (sounds like a bit of python work) might be an idea.

I love what you did there, EE3 was always my favourite Civ4 mod. Maybe you should start a thread for it in the main C&C forum?

Some thoughts:

The HRE was not really a country for most of its existence (it was somewhat unified during the early middle ages), but more of a treaty organization a la NATO. Since you're adding civs (I like that, Hungary always had too much room to expand), maybe you should split the HRE into Saxony, Bavaria, and "HRE" being the smaller states in SW Germany (EDIT: Also Lombardy). See picture. Prussia would also be separate, as it alread is.

I notice you have both German Empire and Kingdom of Prussia. Prussia became the German Empire historically, and both would have their capital at Berlin, maybe remove the German Empire?

Also consider adding the Golden Horde.

I think the Bulgarian leader should be one of the medieval emperors. Norwegian one maybe Harald Fair-hair?

I notice you changed the map, is there a reason for this?

I would like playing around with this a bit, maybe tidy things up a little, would that be OK with you?

Ok, I take back what I said about removing Germany as they can serve as an umbrella German civ on small maps.

I wouldn't make S:t Petersburg the capital of Russia, it was Swedish until the beginning of the 18th century and didn't become really important until the 19th. Moscow was the capital for most of the duration of the game, besides having the capital at saint Pete would make Russia expand weirdly.

I'll add these civs to the mod, if it's OK with I9113N (Using them on any given map is of course optional):

Saxony
Bavaria
Lombardy
-These would serve to fragment the HRE.

Portugal
-Why is this not already in?

Golden Horde
Algeria
-More muslims. Both were important in European history.

If I have some spare time, I'm also looking at making a 1250 scenario.

What are the thoughts on UU's / UB's?

Hmm.. I'm not sure about splitting up the HRE. I would do this, but the map is probably not big enough. That being said, it would cause tensions between the smaller states and it would be very fun to counquer them all and such... Having HRE as a NATO-esque thing might not be the best, because other states could join them, making it a bit inacurrate.

Anyway, I'm perfectly fine with adding those civ's, although the Golden Horde is a bit iffy. I don't think they're exactly a European Empire, although it would fill some space in the southwest. (This space is usually filled with Poland, Lithuania, and Hungary) I changed the map because the original EE3 map was just not big enough when it came to Africa and Scandinavia. Sweden and Norway wouldn't be Sweden and Norway without the northern quarters of the countries. I was going to get around to adding Portugal sometime soon... :blush: Anyway, I will start a thread for this as it is entering the later stages of development. :)

EDIT: About UU's and UB's; I am 100% unable to make 3d models, so I wouldn't be able to do this. Anyone who wants to can make these, perhaps in the development thread...

OK, I see what you mean but remember that just because a civ exists in the mod doesn't mean that it has to be enabled for a specific map. So on a huge map there might easily be space for ~5 civs in the HRE area, but on a tiny one you could just use German Empire instead.

There are plenty of models for buildings and units floating around on the forum, ideally everything we want should have been made at some point. Some thoughts:

England
-Either Redcoat or Welsh Longbowman
-Stock Exchange

Scotland
-Highlanders? Swordsmen based?
-?

Switzerland
-Swiss Pikemen
-?

Algeria
-Barbary Corsairs
-Caravanserai? Corsair Harbor? Slave Market?

Croatia
-?

Norway
-Longboat
-Stave church

Naples
-?

Golden Horde
-Keshik
-Ger? Caravanserai?

Portugal
-Carrack
-Feitora

Lombardy
-Condottiero (Based on Knights or Macemen)
-?

Bulgaria
-Same as in RFC:Europe?

Serbia
-?

Castile
-Tercio
-Citadel

Aragon
-?

France
-Musketeer
-Salon

Russia
-Cossack
-Institute

Byzantium
-Cataphract
-Hippodrome

Denmark
-Berserker
-Trading Post

Prussia
-Needlegunner (Replaces Rifleman)
-Assembly Plant?

HRE
-Landsknecht
-Rathaus

Saxony
-?

Bavaria
-?

Papal States
-Swiss Guard?
-?

Venice
-Galleas
-Arsenal

Lithuania
-?

Hungary
-Huszar
-? RFC:E has a Stronghold.

Bohemia
-?

Sweden
-Light Cannon? Karolin? Hakkapelit?
-RFC:E has a "Soldier Tennant"

Poland
-Winged Hussar
-Sejmik? Folwark?

Austria
-Grenzer
-Opera House

Ottoman
-Janissary
-Hammam

Rep. of France
-Same as France
Italy
-Same as Naples or Lombardy
Germany
-Same as in BtS

I won't add Golden Horde as a playable civ, rather make them super-barbarians appaering in the 13th century
I would also use Prussia, Bavaria and Saxony instead of the HRE and Germany

Okay, that sounds good for UU's and UB's. I'm still not sure about the Golden Horde though. And Algeria would be fine, although I was thinking of having it be non-human playable for certain scenarios, in which case it would be a derivative civ of France... Same goes for Morrocco, Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, and Iceland.

Anyway, the map is coming along slowly. I also recommend that all further conversation on this mod be posted in this thread. :)

Bohemia
-?

Some ideas for units:
- Hussite infantry (AFAIK was used in original EE; macemen-based; concerning bonuses, Formation seems accurate - or make it start at lower power but give every Hussite infantry unit Leadership to reflect both peasant origin of some of them and their prowess in tactics, improvisation and arms improvement)
- Volunteer legions (a WW1 unit, but maybe could replace Marines as Bohemia is landlocked; power level somewhere near WW1 infantry, but starts with Commando and March to reflect their ability to control vast areas of revolutionary Russia by seizing railroad lines)

Some ideas for unique buildings:
- Foundry (or Manufacture; instead of Factory, industrial age; Bohemia was most industrialized region in Austria-Hungary at that time; rapid industrialization also allowed growth of Czech middle class, produced many educated engineers and was one of factors contributing to economical success of post-WW1 Czechoslovakia; one free enginner per Foundry could reflect this)
- Fish ponds (instead of Harbor as Bohemia is landlocked; grants one free fish to the city and one additional health, can be built anywhere; reflects construction of extensive late medieval pond and waterworks systems; economical effect of Harbor is replaced by possibility to trade fish; alternatively, Fish ponds could be replacement to Levee - working as Levee but giving additional fish)

I don't have another mods folder, so what do I do?

Wow... this thing is still semi-alive? I randomly check an old board where I haven't posted in years and look...

Thanks to everybody who enjoyed my mod and helped me make it!

Here's a quick note to let everyone know where I'm at. I am not working on this any more and haven't worked on this for the past two or three years. I do not have the originals and I do not have any non-broken download links to the BtS version. The download link on the first page for the original seems to still work. I am no longer a modder and no longer play CIV. I do not offer support for this mod.

Anybody that wants to improve this or change it in any way, feel free to. Anybody that has the originals feel free to distribute them however you want. I have no further interest in this.

I'm going to edit the first page to direct people to this message.

Best Regards,

AG

It is here! The much fabled UU pack has arrived.

You can get the download at: http://files.filefront.com/EE3_UU_Packzip/;4686185;;/fileinfo.html

The credits for the graphics are:
Hell's Angel- Welsh Longbow
Jouda - Almogavar
Bornaparte - Hussite Inf
bhiita - Calatrava Knight, HRE Knight
C. Roland - Frankish Knight, Berserker, Strzelcy, Frigate
Krowtrobot - Cataphract
Mumin - Szekely, Tatar, Grand Cannon, Curassier

Only 16 of the 36 units have new graphics, the rest just have the old unit graphics. So if anyone would like to fill in some of the missing units it would be greatly appreciated ;)

To install you simply replace the old XML and Art folders under the EE3 directory with the new ones in the file.

The file isn't there anymore

Top Bottom