Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

Is there a world map with this ?

Yes. I believe there is 2 WM's. One with 12 preset, and the other with 26. Take a peek in the private maps folder.

The mod pages here were woefully out of date (3+ years old) and I took the liberty of updating most of the text and links. The credits page is also updated, if I missed your contributions to RAND 2.0, let me know.

Question/Suggestion:
I teach history and one thing that continues to pop up as discrepancies between civ gameplay and real history, is the importance of non-state actors. When playing Civ I have godlike control over every aspect over every detail of my empire.

What about outsourcing to private enterprises/individuals things such as:
independent privateering,
troop raising,
tax collecting,
colonizing,
acquiring resources (trade)

Also, when it comes to military
-loyalty/morale for troops & generals?
-units routing instead of being destroyed?

Are these things that could be interesting/possible to add in?

The install instructions on this threads page 1 mentions to install the AND patch. Where do I find this AND patch? Is it needed?

Question/Suggestion:
I teach history and one thing that continues to pop up as discrepancies between civ gameplay and real history, is the importance of non-state actors. When playing Civ I have godlike control over every aspect over every detail of my empire.

What about outsourcing to private enterprises/individuals things such as:
independent privateering,
troop raising,
tax collecting,
colonizing,
acquiring resources (trade)

Also, when it comes to military
-loyalty/morale for troops & generals?
-units routing instead of being destroyed?

Are these things that could be interesting/possible to add in?

I am not a huge fan of loosing control over my game like that, being a bit of a control freak when it comes to Civ. But I do like some of your ideas, like units being able to rout instead of always being destroyed. Another idea related to this, could be battles ending with both units surviving(without anyone withdrawing), but only being wounded (loosing more or less hp, and perhaps even earning some experience in the process).

Loyalty and morale is also interesting. I think loyalty and morale could translate to combat bonuses, like high loyalty = +10% strength, low morale = -10% strength etc... I am not sure how I would like it if units could actually defect or desert due to this, that would sound like negative gameplay punishing the player.But perhaps high morale would also mean more hp regen, and low loaylty could mean loosing some hp (due to desertion?).

Concerning your suggestions on non-state actors concerning troop raising, tax collecting, colonizing, acquiring resources (trade), do you have a more concrete idea of how this would work?

Made a great general a field commander, but now he does not seem to be able to do anything; he can't join a city, can't give xp to units and can't attach to lead a unit. Anyone knows if this is a bug?

Made a great general a field commander, but now he does not seem to be able to do anything; he can't join a city, can't give xp to units and can't attach to lead a unit. Anyone knows if this is a bug?

You don't seem to understand how Field Commanders work. Go read the civilopedia article on them .

You don't seem to understand how Field Commanders work. Go read the civilopedia article on them .

Your right I didn't understand. I tried civilopedia before my post and didn't understand it (for some reason :rolleyes:). However I have just been playing for a few hours and I realize that it gains promotions for being in a stack with other units that fights and commanders promotions are passives applied to the units in stacks. I love that! :D

Your right I didn't understand. I tried civilopedia before my post and didn't understand it (for some reason :rolleyes:). However I have just been playing for a few hours and I realize that it gains promotions for being in a stack with other units that fights and commanders promotions are passives applied to the units in stacks. I love that! :D

Correct. That is exactly how they work. :)

Correct. That is exactly how they work. :)

Also, can I just say thank you so much for this mod; it is an awesome experience. And the AI is a true opponent, you can't let your guard down. This is the real civ experience that I have always wanted :)

Also, can I just say thank you so much for this mod; it is an awesome experience. And the AI is a true opponent, you can't let your guard down. This is the real civ experience that I have always wanted :)

And this is only a beginning. This modpack is in constant development toward a final version. There's a forum solely for this mod if you are interested :).

And this is only a beginning. This modpack is in constant development toward a final version. There's a forum solely for this mod if you are interested :).

Sure I am :) but I thought that this thread was the 'forum' for the mod?

I am not a huge fan of loosing control over my game like that, being a bit of a control freak when it comes to Civ. But I do like some of your ideas, like units being able to rout instead of always being destroyed. Another idea related to this, could be battles ending with both units surviving(without anyone withdrawing), but only being wounded (loosing more or less hp, and perhaps even earning some experience in the process).

Loyalty and morale is also interesting. I think loyalty and morale could translate to combat bonuses, like high loyalty = +10% strength, low morale = -10% strength etc... I am not sure how I would like it if units could actually defect or desert due to this, that would sound like negative gameplay punishing the player.But perhaps high morale would also mean more hp regen, and low loaylty could mean loosing some hp (due to desertion?).

Concerning your suggestions on non-state actors concerning troop raising, tax collecting, colonizing, acquiring resources (trade), do you have a more concrete idea of how this would work?

I don't think negative gameplay is necessarily a bad idea in itself, if the game is adjusted for it. Unfortunately, Civilization as is, is not. Civ is always a one-directional race, and if you fall behind then you lose. This makes unexpected negative events too unforgiving to be an interesting part of the game. A civil war might be very interesting, but by then the Inca will have gained an unsurmountable lead and you might just start over. Which I think is unfortunate, as true godlike control is somewhat unrealistic and leads to micromanagement.

Anyway, here's a few ideas of how to do some of my suggestions, not sure if they can be implemented in the code though:
-Loyalty: If units could be tied to a home city (as in Civ 1 & 2), distance from their home, wounds taken, and unhappiness in the city could all modify morale, which translates as you suggested into a %reduction/increase in combat ability. Certain technologies would allow your units improved modifiers, for example further distance bonus, or being near a city with an open trade route to the home city, or being with a great general unit. A unit with very low morale would have a percentage chance of deserting and becoming a barbarian unit, refusing orders to move or attack, or simply disbanding. The addition of a "General" unit that could be built, (say 1 per city in the early game) would also boost combat strength and loyalty for all units in its tile and possibly adjacent tiles. But if the "General" unit lost loyalty enough for desertion, then all units in the army would have a chance of defecting to him. Effectively sparking a civil war.

As for tax collecting, imagine if the cottages and villages (or other tiles) didn't automatically pay their full trade value to the city, but were boosted by the presence of a military unit (increased with the "tax collector" promotion). Vassalage for example would increase the money gained from such tax collectors. This would be the standard way of getting trade from tiles until the invention of bureaucracy, which would activate the standard system, which of course would be more efficient, though possibly at a cost to loyalty... at least until the invention nationalism.

As for privateering privateers, instead of building and controlling privateers, the player would set a target city to be plundered, and finished privateers (and perhaps as an option for other early ships) would have a default "auto-plunder" order which would set them to attack ships within range and block the port of the chosen city. For every successful battle or turn spent blockading an enemy port, the privateer ship would get a loyalty bonus, translating to a combat bonus. At a certain loyalty level, the ship would have a chance of spawning another privateer. Piracy could become a self-sustaining nightmare, only solved by a strong fleet, as per history.
Illoyal or unsuccessful privateers would have a chance of defecting to Barbarian state, in effect becoming actual pirates. Yarrr!

The problem with all of those suggestions is that they each vastly increase the amount of micromanagement required by users, while making the game harder. So most users will see them as negative features and dislike them. Further, making the AI aware and understand would be a massive undertaking.

The problem with all of those suggestions is that they each vastly increase the amount of micromanagement required by users, while making the game harder. So most users will see them as negative features and dislike them. Further, making the AI aware and understand would be a massive undertaking.

Probably so. Maybe not the privateer thing, that would run itself, and the script for Privateers would be the same for the AI I would guess?

Probably so. Maybe not the privateer thing, that would run itself, and the script for Privateers would be the same for the AI I would guess?

You're right, the privateers feature wouldn't require much micromanagement from the user.

As for adding the privateer system you suggest, one problem I see is that the privateers in Civ are useful for a fairly short period of time, there is no "stronger" version of privateer that they can upgrade to, so once ships like the ironclad appear, privateers are doomed and will disappear fairly quickly.

I think a bit more realistic pirate/privateer system would be interesting though. Pirates existed even in ancient times and it would be nice if they could be used and upgraded over time.

Top Bottom