History of civilization's 5 greatest inventions

daft

The fargone
Please list the top 5 inventions of all time, the ones which shaped/influenced the history of human civilization the most.

>Antelope thighbone (used to whack things over the head)
>Fire (used to cook things whacked over the head)
>Knapping (an upgrade from whacking things over the head)
>Writing (keeps track of the many variations on whacking things over the head)
>Animal Husbandry (either helps when there aren't enough things to whack over the heads or makes it easier to whack things over the head)

Think that sums it up. Everything else proceeds from those discoveries.

1) Fire Production
2) Weaving
3) Writing
4) Genetic Engineering (i.e. Domestication)
5) Gunpowder

1) Titles of Nobility
2) Nail clippers
3) People who cite television shows and movies to make historical arguments
4) Stores named after what they sell
5) Gastric Acid

To the 2 previous post writers:
By mocking a thread you simply display arrogance and a general lack of intelligence.
Not everyone out there is a history professor, if you are such geniuses then share your knowledge, enlighten others.

the previous two(not including mine) posts clearly indicate one thing: arrogance (such a typical American personality trait), which in itself points to a clear lack of wisdom.

I'm going to try to stay distinct with inventions rather than discoveries.

Start with whatever ranged weapon happened along. Some places atl-atl, some maybe just a throwing spear. Whatever some bright fellow came up with to avoid getting too close to horns or hooves or whatnot when batting things over the head.

Horse driven plow. First indication people didn't really have to do the hard part for themselves, ultimately leading to computer programmers.

Smelter. Without some sort of heat producing device rocks would still just be rocks.

War machines, be it land tanks or air tanks or sea tanks. When 'defense spending' meant production of equipment (putting people to work) rather than putting men under arms (forming units based on manpower and taking people away from work) it allowed Keynsian economics to revolutionize capitalism.

Fleet ballistic missile submarines. By providing a threat of certain and ultimate vengeance the FBM sub puts a limit on open warfare for countries beyond a certain technology level, happily coinciding with the technology level where open warfare has a very good chance to produce extinction.

the previous two(not including mine) posts clearly indicate one thing: arrogance (such a typical American personality trait), which in itself points to a clear lack of wisdom.

i honestly wanted to contribute to your thread. then i saw this.
saying that something negative is typical of a country larger than over 90% of the others in the world is pretty lame. are you lame, daft? because that's typical.

[...]the ones which shaped/influenced the history of human civilization the most.
In no order, and off the top of my head...

Animal husbandry
Religion
Gunpowder weaponry
The scientific method
Mass production

Going a bit modern here: Yes, writing was critical to human civilization, but the printing press made widespread literacy possible as no other invention could.

1. The Singularity.

1) Fire
2) Farming & Animal Husbandry
3) Writing
4) Steam engine
5) Electricity & Electronics

To the 2 previous post writers:
By mocking a thread you simply display arrogance and a general lack of intelligence.
Not everyone out there is a history professor, if you are such geniuses then share your knowledge, enlighten others.

I think the history professor types would be the least likely to make top 5 lists.

Top Bottom