always peace?

wow my parenst used to care about srb but lost interest when i turned 15 two years ago, they watched me play games like mgs3 and realised that they were rated slightly to high for a teenager, especially cause school can be one of the worst places for a child to be exposed to swearing. i was raised in a christian school tell i was 11 i had no clue what the middle finger meant or any form of profanity and i still thaught calling my dad dumb was as bad as calling him a ********************* moron which i would never do but yeah i went to public school anbd weithin 2 months i wa sswearing like a drunk

It's good that JBConquests takes an interest in his child's welfare, but it is possibly going to far to restrict him from playing Civ. It is completely harmless, I assure you. :)

Somebody must disagree with you, because Civ 4 is rated E10+ which means it isn't for kids younger than 10. Now, I probably wouldn't wait until age 10, but at 7, I feel, they are too young. Though that is my opinion, other parents are free to have their own opinions. :)

I do agree Civ4 is pretty tame by today's standard of violence. My comments earlier were made after coming back from a party in which I was watching some 5 to 7 year olds playing Halo 3 which is rated M.

I was watching rated R movies at the young age of 8 or so, and now I'm going for my Ph.D., so I turned out fine :eek: I see no harm in letting a child know the historical reality of war.

Playing bad games doesn't necessarily turn you into a hellion, I was playing Killer Instinct at the age of 5 and GTA not too much longer. I will admit that its turned my mouth into something that would make a sailor blush, but if you ask my friends they will say I'm the smartest kid they know and i think playing them makes you think so it made me a sharper kid. Now if you son is burning cats already before he starts playing them, then yes it just gives him more bad ideas, but i think its more or less not the game that teaches kids to do things as much as it is deep down inside the kid is already that kind of person and the game just gives him ideas and brings those not so good feelings up to the skin. So if the kid is not a hellion already like i was then those games really didn't do any harm to me.

Sometimes violent games can help expose your son and teach him that violence is meant to stay in the game world, not mesh into the real world. And trust me, after playing this demo, the game should be rated "IF YOU CAN USE THE CONTROLLER, YOU CAN PLAY". There is absolutely no blood, and the violence is a choice. There is no blood, and dead bodies have no blood, and the bodies fade within a few seconds. Harmless, because at 7, I was playing Halo at my neighbors house, and that gave me nightmares. But Civ games teach you history, but in an entertaining way. I say, you rent the game, check it out yourself, and then decide whether your child can play or not. Don't base a game on its rating.

Thank you,
Widowmaker313 (who plays M rated games, and maybe swears a little, but swears I learned in like 3rd-5th grade from the bad kids)

P.S. I am like in the top 10 in my school, and Civ Rev is a fun non-violent game :)

I got the first Civilization as a present when I was 10 and it actually got me really interested in history when I otherwise wouldn't have been. I like to think I turned out ok. :)

Well war on Civ I was little square icons knocking on eachothers door and one disappearing.

great game, Civ Rev is very similar actually, but of course there are better graphics.

I think the OP is too overprotective. My uncle, for example lets his 7 year old kid play GTA games. I'm not saying, that you should, but the "violence" in civ games hardly means anything and as said before - your kid probably sees much worse from watching the cartoons.

In America, our news is usually about kidnapping attempts, fires, floods, murders, deaths....etc. Bad news in America attracts more attention than, In the news today, Michael Jobson ran a marathon and came in second.

I think you may want to expose your child to war. becuase if he doesnt know what war is until hes 10 there may be problems for him ;)

Top Bottom