Momus - Am I doing something wrong here?

Wolpertinger

Chieftain
I keep seeing all these tips about how Momus is 'easy' on warlord. I've just tried it five-six times on /settler/, and what inevitably happens, every time, is I get locked in a stalemale in my little corner for a few hundred turns, unable to slay the Butcher or the infernals, due to the ridiculously, incredibly, unbelievably powerful godlike unit that is the archer defending a city. Then, when I get the inevitable all VS me, I usually survive a while, then die when bum rushed by the units that are somehow much better base stats wise than the swordsmen and archers I can create. I can send a stack of swordsmen 15 units deep and it'll still lose to the two archers defending a minor outpost. Heroes don't help much either, they die just as easily to the godlike archer.

The only thing that has worked for me is the extremely arduously slow method of having a swarm of adepts/mages/caster heroes throw every offensive spell from every sphere i can get a hold of at an archer enough to weaken it that maybe hopefully if i'm lucky a stack of swordsmen can take the city without losing more than half of them - but this is too slow to be effective considering it's a multiple-front war.

Hell, in a fit of pique I world-edited in a stack of 10 Ascended Aurics and bum rushed the infernals. The aurics captured a few cities, then died to archers. All 10 of them. dead.. to archers.

Now, I'm not very good at civilization 4 in general, but am I not grasping some basic mechanic with ffh? Because this seems way, way too hard, so I'm obviously doing /something/ wrong here.

edit : Sorry, wrong forum - can someone move this to the 'official scenarios' forum?

When I played it I focused on taking out the Infernals immediately. My first couple of tries they were the main opposition, so when I was finally serious about winning I knew that I had to focus on them before any worthwhile units became available. The nice thing was that in the few cities they did manage to build and I captured them I had free obsidian gates and a couple other buildings :)

Even if you can't take Dis, keeping them penned up inside a single city with all of the local improvements destroyed will make it possible to out-tech/produce them and eventually take them out (or get to summoning for the same end result).

Everyone other than the Infernals are just push-overs who will topple with a stiff wind.

Top Bottom