[MOD] Fall from Heaven

mrkingkong said:
Hmm thats odd, cant download the file from Filefront. It saying something about an error because i am trying to establish multiple connections to the download link. Any ideas what im doing wrong?

mrkingkong

Sounds like you may be using a download manager it doesn't like. It downloads fine for me.

There, I finally voted. Brought it back where it belongs. I have no idea why idiots rate things poorly. Take a look at the New Civs thread.....

Kael - I'm not sure if you can re"skin" forest, but anything older looking would look cool for Ancient Woods.

Played this mod from the begining 'till the end of tech tree. But i really hate one thing - that i need to build separate buildings for each of advanced units :mad: It makes game too long and boring :(

Thanks for ignoring my question kael!

Played another game of your mod. This time I focused on the Elves and tried to play them using their advandages by building all special buildings and planted woods all over my realm. But after a while I chop them down again, because cottages and farms are still better. Woods should give another decent benefit to the elves to make it worth playing them like (wood)-elves. For instance an extra food or movement in forest fields for kingdoms with Leaves of the Elves as state religion.
The same should applied to the dwarves and other religions to force players to use different playing styles.
Furthermore the tech tree should be tighter linked to the religions. For instance you may not build dwarf-specific buildings if this isn't your state religion, even if you dicovered it first. You need to switch religion in order to build them.

I also find some bugs:
- Forests may be planted on a field where a forest already exists.
- In some cases my summoned demons stayed alive after one turn. I dunno when. But I had two demons which I could use like normal units after summoned.

Planting a forest should require more time. With only 4 turns I can easily boost my production: Place an elven archer and a apprentice on the same field. Plant a forest (4 turns), chop it down again (3 turns). I didn't try to plant and chop the still existing forest simultanously (see bug above). But if this works this is a big deal for abuse.

And finally a question: My foe pillages my hamlets with a saboteur. I can't see the unit and haven't yet found out a way to detect those units. There was nothing I could do against those marrauders and I quit the game :-/

Wow.
FfH is absolutely awesome, and quite possibly the best CivIV mod so far.

I do have one little question though. I can't find the tech that allows tech trading. Is this:
a) My mistake (if so, please tell me what tech is needed).
b) Completely intentional (noooo!)
or c) Something that will be fixed

Keep up the good work, and may the Runes of Kilmorph always guard you.

Crash757 said:
Played this mod from the begining 'till the end of tech tree. But i really hate one thing - that i need to build separate buildings for each of advanced units :mad: It makes game too long and boring :(

Speed up the techs, I did. :)

It is BETA.

Joliette said:
Planting a forest should require more time. With only 4 turns I can easily boost my production: Place an elven archer and a apprentice on the same field. Plant a forest (4 turns), chop it down again (3 turns). I didn't try to plant and chop the still existing forest simultanously (see bug above). But if this works this is a big deal for abuse.

I think, if possible, that replanted forests should become permanent. No chop abuse. Not idea if that's possible.

One other thing. Should the cost of the training buildings be lowered? It's tough to spend 60 gold and wait 10+ turns before you can build a unit.

Fachy said:

hey -- calm down, please.
some of your questions sounded a bit like statements to me.
which is no problem, but it might mean that kael didnt feel the urge to comment on them / answer them.
perhaps he read them, thought something like 'true, i gotta check that later' and went on to answer some 'real' questions.

or perhaps it was entirely different.
who am i to know :D

however, lets all stay nice and friendly, mmmm'kay? :)

humph *crosses his arms* alright

After playing way too much here are some things I've noticed (that may have already been mentioned prior):

1 - The tech tree is a jumble. You can research a lot of things seemingly out of order. I'm firmly convinced it needs to be tightened up. (I know I already mentioned it, but I'm passionate!)
2 - The cost of upgrades is out of whack. In my current game I had the choice of producing a warrior in 4 turns or an axemen in 9. It's an easy choice since upgrading the warrior to an axeman only costs 40 gold. This leads to #3...
3 - Way too much gold early on. I'm at 100% research and still have a surplus per turn and 1000 in the bank. Maybe too many +1 gp modifiers flying around?
4 - The Pagan Temple can be built and gives a positive culture boost even after you have a state religion?
5 - The promotions seem a bit overpowered. A lot of +50% ones. Maybe knock then down a hair.
6 - Not much of a difference between a Hunter and an Elven Archer. Maybe the religious units should be more powerful?
7 - The upgrade from Apprentice to Adept seems unusual. Maybe its just me.

I'm really looking forward to the 5 flavor civs for the scenarios. Good job Kael.

Fachy said:

Sorry Fachy, I could weight the computer to value inquisitions but I haven't. So it is unlikely to perform them. Once the SDK comes out I hope to be able to add "intellegent decisions" about the use of these features instead of simple weighting. But until then the featurues are being implemented to get as close to that mark as possible so that I can concentrate on the SDk required features when it becomes available instead of tech requirements.

Joliette said:
Played another game of your mod. This time I focused on the Elves and tried to play them using their advandages by building all special buildings and planted woods all over my realm. But after a while I chop them down again, because cottages and farms are still better. Woods should give another decent benefit to the elves to make it worth playing them like (wood)-elves. For instance an extra food or movement in forest fields for kingdoms with Leaves of the Elves as state religion.
The same should applied to the dwarves and other religions to force players to use different playing styles.
Furthermore the tech tree should be tighter linked to the religions. For instance you may not build dwarf-specific buildings if this isn't your state religion, even if you dicovered it first. You need to switch religion in order to build them.

I also find some bugs:
- Forests may be planted on a field where a forest already exists.
- In some cases my summoned demons stayed alive after one turn. I dunno when. But I had two demons which I could use like normal units after summoned.

And finally a question: My foe pillages my hamlets with a saboteur. I can't see the unit and haven't yet found out a way to detect those units. There was nothing I could do against those marrauders and I quit the game :-/

I will work on the forest problem, that should be easy enough to fix.

The cleanup on the summoned creatures interesting me too. I actuallly I had to change some code witht eh fireballs because the code didn't run consitently and I bet you are seeing the same thing.

Your right, the elves forest build should be long and the druid can keep the short version.

The Sabotuer's are countered with other Saboteurs, Shadows and Marksmen. I think you are right though, they should be able to pillage. They can run around and attack if the opponent isn't able to counter, but I didn't think about using them to pillage.

Thanks Joliette! This kind of feedback is exactly why I released this version of the mod, and is just as important for making a fun mod as the work I am doing.

Crash757 said:

Im gonna have to think hard about that. Anyone else share that opinion. Although Im hesitant to remove the t4 buildings I may lower the cost. I would also like to flavor them each a bit (I like that the weaponsmith and armorer give a benifit beyond making the units, but some fo the buildings are still "generic" and do nothing but allow the unit).

woodelf said:
After playing way too much here are some things I've noticed (that may have already been mentioned prior):

1 - The tech tree is a jumble. You can research a lot of things seemingly out of order. I'm firmly convinced it needs to be tightened up. (I know I already mentioned it, but I'm passionate!)
2 - The cost of upgrades is out of whack. In my current game I had the choice of producing a warrior in 4 turns or an axemen in 9. It's an easy choice since upgrading the warrior to an axeman only costs 40 gold. This leads to #3...
3 - Way too much gold early on. I'm at 100% research and still have a surplus per turn and 1000 in the bank. Maybe too many +1 gp modifiers flying around?
4 - The Pagan Temple can be built and gives a positive culture boost even after you have a state religion?
5 - The promotions seem a bit overpowered. A lot of +50% ones. Maybe knock then down a hair.
6 - Not much of a difference between a Hunter and an Elven Archer. Maybe the religious units should be more powerful?
7 - The upgrade from Apprentice to Adept seems unusual. Maybe its just me.

I'm really looking forward to the 5 flavor civs for the scenarios. Good job Kael.

I did a large reply to each point in this woodelf but the forum ate it :-(

Let me see if I can give some quick replies.

1. Your right.
2. Your right, Im going to increase this for 0.60.
3. What civ and relgion are you playing. I know the Runes has the potential to make serious money, I'd like to see what your doing to get so much to see if some option is to adventageous or if it is truely overall.
4. The pagan temple effect is intentional, all temples culture boost was reduced to account for the fact that it will exist.
5. I think your right again, this will be reduced slightly in 0.60.
6. I don't think the problem is that lack of a difference between the Hunter and the Elven Archer, but the lack of utility of the forests (which you mentioned earlier). Increase the utility of forests and both the elven Archer and the Fellowship of Leaves because more useful.
7. I added that because I want tech pursuit civ's to be able to switch to "war mode" in emergency situations (each play style needs a viable way to respond to purely military opponents). One of the ways this is done is to be able to convert their workers to military units. But as you said the upgrade cost needs to be a little higher.

Question Mark said:
Wow.
FfH is absolutely awesome, and quite possibly the best CivIV mod so far.

I do have one little question though. I can't find the tech that allows tech trading. Is this:
a) My mistake (if so, please tell me what tech is needed).
b) Completely intentional (noooo!)
or c) Something that will be fixed

Keep up the good work, and may the Runes of Kilmorph always guard you.

The Tech "Trade" allows technology trading.

The single building->unit thing is kinda slowing it down, i found the most bearable one was the barracks, but if you were to mix it up with multiple buildings->unit it would make it a little more progressive, and also knock out some of the over specialization

Barbarian scouts, not cool, its a neat concept to add more diversity to the barbs, i.e. giants skeletons and such, but the scouts, and later hunters, are just annoying with worker grabbing and such, 2 move barbs shouldn't show up till later, if ever.

On the discussion concerning ancient forests, is it possible to flag locations as being chopped, so that every tile can only get shields(ahem hammers) for chopping once, but be able to be -/de- forested multiple times, and having ancient forests be a forest that can be planted ontop of a forest making it permenant?

I also can't wait to check out .6
and a sugguestion, highlands with this mod is fun :} go hill giants

Fantastic and original work Kael. :thanx:

I agree that this needs a little polish but it is still a beta.

5/5 from me. :goodjob:

Looks like this could be one of the great Civ 4 mods. :D

You really worked hard on this one, I have spent a week playing and improving just a one Civ Mod so I can't imagine how long this took.

How many hours have you put in ?

Im gonna have to think hard about that. Anyone else share that opinion.
--->
The single building->unit thing is kinda slowing it down, i found the most bearable one was the barracks, but if you were to mix it up with multiple buildings->unit it would make it a little more progressive, and also knock out some of the over specialization
Here u gp :p

Top Bottom