Warhammer Fantasy Battles

My dream come true would involve Jessica Alba and massage oil, but if you dream of orcs, to each their own Duke. :p

Question? I, being relatively new to the forum (not civ), would really like to try out your mod, but I am left with two questions.... Is it compatible with Warlords? and where do you place the mod file to make it work on the civ platform?

Not Warlords compatible, and I think it self extracts into the proper location.

If not it needs to go here:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods

waiit with the next patch guys and include those Chaos units and the tilean Venetaor too ;)

What does support fire actually do?

Can somebody provide a link to that mod (is it a standalone component).

Hi,

I tried to play another test game, noble difficulty, normal size, normal speed, "age of magic" era (2nd era), nippon civ, to take a better look at the game. I played roughly 100-150 turns, after which I had eliminated the only other rival on my continent and had reasearched about a dozen techs (maybe a little less). Here's a few feedback comments :

- the hard limit on the number of units in a stack is a good idea in itself but quickly gets troublesome when moving units through chokepoints or when sending a large number of troops far away (in this case, I usually just right-click new units to the general area I want them to go to, but they would sometimes take really sub-optimal paths to destination, eg: mounted units stepping out of the road into a forest tile, and I hate to micromanage the motion path of a large number of units).

- I think "in-game" effects such as collateral damage and support fire abilities contribute a lot to inciting the player to split his stacks. In fact, at some point I spread my cavalery units a lot so they could attack archer-defended cities so that support-fire wouldn't damage those that had not attacked yet. BTW, it looks like you'll be adding a lot of additionnal battle tactics, but are there already any that I would have missed ? So far I've only ran into support fire ability for archers and catapults (from what I've understood, it works more or less as collateral damage to the offending stack when a unit in their stack is under attack, I'm not sure it works on offense though, my cats didn't give support fire during my own attacks, but that was maybe because they had already bombarded or attacked every time I would give assault on a city).

- I noticed that about every unit of the same tier had globally the same strengh and they would differ mainly in the special abilities or promotions they would provide. That's rather neat IMO. I like to see axes and spears more balanced, and not having too much of a gap between cavalery and melee (actually, I started without metals but with horses, so I was surprised at first to see my horse archers stuck at 4str, but in the end it played up quite good).

- on a side note, when playing at "age of magic" era, I began with the tech that allowed clearing jungles, but not its immediate prerequisite (I don't have the game here, can't tell the actual tech names, sorry). The other starting techs looked fine.

- the maintenance system used in Civ4 doesn't really push you to building large armies. In fact, even when I was trying to adopt the most battle-oriented civics, I found that sending a few stacks out of my borders would still have a noticeable impact on my finance (and that was even worse when they would cross ennemy borders). Since I didn't expand too much (I think after conquering my neighbour I had about 10 cities), the cost was manageable, no worries there, but I'm still wondering. Some civics grant a certain number of free units: will this number scale with the number of cities or map size ? Anyway, I've not run into the problem yet (maybe it all works fine, I'm just expressing my concern here), I'm just wondering how I'll be able to manage sending large stacks away without letting my empire collapse. Right now, I think a few more early economic buildings or wonders would help.

- for that matter, I found that courthouses were VERY late down the tree. I tried to beeline for them, but when I stopped playing I was still 1 or 2 techs away from them, and was already reducing research to 50% due to overexpansion. And that was when I took care of razing all cities save the two ones that could fund themselves (the capitol and a gold-resource city). Money from city-plundering helped sustaining my economy a bit, but I do think it would be better to get a few more options to reduce maintenance costs. Maybe an additional civic that reduced city distance or city number maintenance would help. Or maybe a cheap building that would only reduce city maintenance by 20-25%. I just feel that something's missing to allow empires to expand in the beginning of the game, and that doesn't really fit with the warmongering aspect of WarHammer IMO (empires that can't expand typically don't wage war).

- the nippon models are NICE. Really, the second tier of units is great, I love to see ashigaru archers or yuris moving in formation with their flags. Congrats to the artistic team here :goodjob:

- the same way, I finally installed the sound package. Ingame musics are nice, although I still prefer the intro music :D Anyway, the game feels a lot more immersive with musics and when playing a civ that has a lot of UU with dedicated models.

I've run out of comments right now, so I'll just add that I really like the mod as it is now. I'll try to play a full game to get a better experience of it, but so far I really like the current design. :goodjob: (too bad I don't get much time to play Civ4 at the moment)

really ncie feedback! and nice to hear that you like my nippons ;)try empire, cathay, tilea, sylvania, woodelves and highelves, those civs already got most of their age of magic + units (the ancient era isnt as fleshed out as we want it to be ;) )

hi to all this is my first post. first off ive been playing the mod ands its really good but a couple of things ive noticed. im playing cathay on deity
1. cannot build a camp
2. all the wonders ive built the cinamatics is just a blue screen
3. i dont seem to be able to build acolytes
i know its a beta but everything else seems to be ok

Hello, Warhammer Fantasy fan here so seeing the post I downloaded it instantly :). Unfortunately I noticed ya'll havn't released the 3 of the 4 armies I like in TT: Skaven, Beastmen, Lizardmen..which is fine, I see them on the agenda thankfully.

I was always curious though (I played Warhammer Fantasy Mod in Civ 3 also) why human armies like Tilia, Nippon, Kathay, Estalia, Ind are featured in the mod? The most I've ever heard of Tilia is token units in games like Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen...a few smattering of references in the game manuals. Are they full featured armies in Europe that havn't ever been released in the US?

Minus the slightly off topic question I played a few rounds so far as: Chaos, Dark Elves, and Orcs/Goblins. 2 of the 3 games(I play on Noble, Standard Size Map) I've lost so I'm not very good :).

- My first game as Orcs I could produce units like mad no doubt but since the units were weak compared to my neighbor armies I had to field multiple stacks which ruined my finances and my civilization eventually collapsed from units disbanding. I noticed Orc Warriors (maybe Black Orcs) were a couple techs in but I've never made it that far.

- My second game as Dark Elves was pretty uneventful. Their basic unit is a nice step up in mobility and damage from the Orcs. I quickly built all the buildings I could for each city hoping to build an infrastructure and reach that 2nd tier of units. Unfortunately I was declared on and was destroyed even though I thought I had a reasonable defense (4 units a city...spearman and archers I believe) but I was swamped quickly.

- My third game was my best by far and I played as Chaos. I went with Chaos simply because of my own bias. I've always seen them as completely overpowered and it seems every TT tournament has had a disproportianate amount of them versus other armies. So on a hunch I took them so I could hopefully get further than my last 2 attempts. Regardless, my theory still stands, I easily dominated 2 neighbors from the get go. The beastman starting units were more than a match for my neighbor starting units and I made my way up to Chaos Warriors that marched easily across the continent. My only problem eventually was that my empire was beginning to get too big...I was in the lead by a good margin so I didn't really have to worry about invading anyone, I needed an enormous army to invade any of the other big empires and I had built every building in every city. So...I just got bored and quit. I could have waited out the rest of the game but it was a foregone conclusion that I would win. Nothing could match my military if they invaded and controlling the number required to invade someone else became tedious so I ended up just producing units and then destroying them.

Overall, I dug it, the beginning is challenging for me anyways. I look forward to my favorite armies being playable. All my suggestions are contrary to the design statement of "This is meant for you Warmongerers out there! - if you like peaceful Developement and Diplomacyvictories better look elsewhere!", so I'll just keep them to myself. Good luck, looking forward to more.

Top Bottom