Cataphracts and Conquistadors

Thonnas

Warlord
With all the other powerful, and even some of the decent, Unique Units effectively nerfed, these two seem unusually powerful, even more so for the Conquistadors in RFC as they come with Astronomy instead of Military Tradition.
They went from a power 10 unit w/+50% vs melee (effectively 15) to a 12 w/+50% vs melee (effectively 18!). It's fortunate that the AI is pretty dumb, they could clearly reign Europe with a fairly small force of conquistadors and trebuchets. Probably the only thing holding back many Humans is plague and poor production power (and maybe Portugal [too many Ps?] if they weren't disposed of quickly enough).

I personally keep getting Napoleonic urges that are hard to squelch, especially when holding the Roman Colosseum, but I fear for my stability and conquering all of Europe kind of makes the rest of the game dull. I guess all I'm getting at is that perhaps a +25% vs. melee would be more appropriate in light of the strength increase, as well as the tech requirement.

Aside from being a bit of a nuisance, the cataphract isn't that big a deal in RFC as the AI again is too dumb to capitalize on their strengths, but it makes for a better title. I actually think it's somewhat fitting that the two sides of the roman empire are the only civs that get Unique Units that are actually more powerful than their counterparts, instead of just one trick ponies.

Thonnas, we made the Conqs tied to Astronomy so Spain could get Conqs if they triggered a Conqueror's event after that tech. Also, early Conqs mean easy conquest of the Americas. I don't know how well you play (i.e. if you beeline to Astronomy ASAP), but the Spanish AI usually doesn't get Astronomy until after/at the same time Gunpowder is discovered by others. That's why the AI never runs through Europe.

Top Bottom