Historical Book Recomendation Thread

I'm reading Persian Fire: The First World Empire and the Battle for the West by Tom Holland.. libraries available me have really pathetic selection of literature about Persia. Any good recommendations?
I hear Yarshater wrote a pretty good history, but have only read excerpts myself. Cheezy should know.

Anyone know any more good books about Mesoamerica or the Andes (I have finished 1491 and I am still intrigued :D)

Got through most of The Third Reich: A New History. Some parts are written pretty well and the analysis is sound, though it gets bogged down and is kinda hard to read in certain parts. I would suggest it over Rise & Fall of the Third Reich however.

I'll pick up the last 200 pages (Holocaust stuff mainly) when I'm done with Hobsbawm's series, which I've started on because of the recommendations in this thread :)

Anyone know any more good books about Mesoamerica or the Andes (I have finished 1491 and I am still intrigued :D)
Have your read "Aztec"? It is historical fiction, but quite good.

Have your read "Aztec"? It is historical fiction, but quite good.

If that is one I'm thinking of, great book!. Picked it up at a yard sale for a nickel.

Daniel Peters wrote three, one on each of the major precolumbian cultures. I liked them all, but his "Incas" was the best.

Currently reading: Byzantium The Surprising Life of a Medieval Empire by Judith Herrin

I'm thinking of ordering E. Luttwaks' The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire but although I've read approximately two dozen or moree nonfiction books on Roman history, leaders, army, battles, etc., I'm thinking this might be a little dry. Any thoughts?

Currently reading: Byzantium The Surprising Life of a Medieval Empire by Judith Herrin
Ew. Sorry. :p I like Treadgold better.
JonathanStrange said:
I'm thinking of ordering E. Luttwaks' The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire but although I've read approximately two dozen or moree nonfiction books on Roman history, leaders, army, battles, etc., I'm thinking this might be a little dry. Any thoughts?
Was dry. Also was extremely helpful and quite elucidating. I personally think it'd be better to get it from your local library (I did) but if you must, purchase it.

What'd be a good casual read on the history of the development of legal systems---preferably starting from pre-Roman times.

What'd be the same for militaries, preferably focused on ancient times and discussing development of weapons and tactics mostly?

reading Empire by Dominic Lieven

What'd be the same for militaries, preferably focused on ancient times and discussing development of weapons and tactics mostly?
Archer Jones' Art of War in the Western World would be good.

Read 1491, just finished it, liked it.

Just picked up Devil in the White City by Erik Larson to read again... really loved it the first time.

Also, just bought 1776 by David McCollough. I hear it's really good. I'll get to it after the Larson book.

Also, just bought 1776 by David McCollough. I hear it's really good. I'll get to it after the Larson book.

I have read several of his books (1776, John Adams, Mornings on Horseback, am about to start Truman). He is an amazing author. It reads like a good novel, but he's also solid on the history.

Have been reading A World At Arms, pretty decent, although it focuses mostly on politics and such.
The Weinberg book? Yeah, that's pretty good. :goodjob:

Top Bottom