Rise from Erebus 1.30 Bug Thread

I do not know if it is a bug or if I am missing something.
I cannot declare war with some civs. There is a peace treaty, but it has been signed at least 100 or 150 turns ago. It happened in several games in 1.30, but I have never seen such a behavior in previous versions. Has something changed in that version?

IMO I don't think FallUnder is reponsible of this (For now).
That mod seems to affect Bhall and units that doesn't have any requeriments checks, such as "Cannot be built by any Civilization", but, who knows... Wyverns doesn't apply to that, it should be something else...

This one has been reported a few times, and it's easy to acquit a module as the cause of the bug. Has anyone who has reported it been playing without Fall Under?

I've played many games on both sides of the jungle and I've never seen this bug.

Stephanos Simplex One - So, I just spent fifty turns or so chasing Stephanos around the map. His Withdrawal rate is astounding and with his "fly" ability, you can't hem him in unless you have a huge army to occupy all the squares his 4-move would let him get to. Finally, after a very long stare-down match while he sat on top of series of mountains that I could not reach, I was able to kill him.. only to find out he had Phoenix Blood and was resurrected... So, the whole thing started over again, finally resulting in his death.. probably... Is this guy Erubus' version of Herpes or what? Is he supposed to have Phoenix Blood? If so, balance wise, it took much longer and consumed more resources than it should have to eliminate his threat.

Have you checked Avatar of Wrath? It's native immortal unit!
AAND if I got to complain about Stephanos, I would complain about it's world effect: 5 Unhappy worldwide, even in cities that are totally unaware of Stephanos. OP, if you ask me.
However, those Horsemen were created to represent the coming of the Armaggedon, isn't it?

This one has been reported a few times, and it's easy to acquit a module as the cause of the bug. Has anyone who has reported it been playing without Fall Under?

It may or it may be not FallUnder. I just think about FallUnder since there were other people complaining for the same. Of course it can be another modmod, but I'm not certain about that.

I've played many games on both sides of the jungle and I've never seen this bug.
I do think the wierd spawn is somewhat related to difficulty level.
What level of difficulty do you play on?.
Have you been playing with FallUnder that time?.
Is the size of the map Large or Huge?.

..However, those Horsemen were created to represent the coming of the Armaggedon, isn't it?

Very true. But, if it's not a bug and simply a RIFE addition, which it seems to be given your post, then it's a bit much. It then becomes a balance issue. Stephanos' Withdrawal ability is far too great coupled with the fact that he can sit on any inaccessible terrain he wants to recover his HP and, if you do manage to get a lucky dice roll and he doesn't escape, he gets reborn so you have to rinse and repeat the whole procedure again. Perhaps, not quite a balance issue but a "fun factor" issue. Stephanos is not "fun" in that incarnation. He should represent a very visible threat and be nasty. But, not something that you can't kill due to game mechanics and "special abilities." If I have a unit with an attack OVER 9000! and Stephanos can simply dodge merrily away at 4 moves on any terrain once his HP get low and get reborn should he fail his dice roll... That's a bit much, IMO.

The only saving grace is that Stephanos gets obsessed with destroying a certain city, once he's decided it's doomed. So, from the several reload sessions I had trying to figure him out, it appears that he'll eventually return to whatever city has thwarted his attempts. But, laying a trap there to "catch" him? Very, very, very difficult... and tedious. He needs something nerfed a little bit, to still present a challenge but not make it so difficult. He is, after all, only the First Horseman. Do the rest get progressively much worse, all armed with BFG 9000s and wearing plutonium aftershave?

BTW, Stephanos popped sometime in the Low 200's in my game. (Normal speed) I couldn't reach the Sheam before they had amped up the counter.

(Apologies if this has turned into a flavor/gameplay/balance issue instead of a bug-report.)

I don't think the riders need to be nerfed, even if Stephanos is only the first of the riders, he comes at AC 40, which means 40% Armageddon. I doubt that a RL nuclear world war would be as bad as 40% Erebus Armageddon.

I do however realise that the current Rider behaviour is far from perfect: Even if it is the most efficient way to destroy all of civilization, 4 Riders sitting on the same tile in the middle of the ocean and doing nothing is neither fun nor flavourful. Would it be a lot of effort to create a Unit AI which will always attack - even if the odds are against it? Kind of like an even more aggressive version of Crazed?

not sure it is a bug... or just plain bad luck :

It seems to me that when I chose all-random civs/leaders, I always get standard leaders. (but the AI get a mix of well-known and emergent ones)
I can't say it's a real bug as I only started 5 games like that and it could be a stroke of bad luck.
And afterwards I chose the "emergent face" option to be sure to get an emergent leader... but then all the AI also have emergent leaders so I'm not totaly happy with the situation.

Does anyone can confirme my analysis on "random leader" or tell me I just had bad luck ?

Just a stroke of bad luck. In fact It feels like I'm getting more minor/emergent leaders than standard ones.

Hii I have been playing Rise from Erebus for a while, and i enjoyed it a lot.

but i had to problems, and i hope you guys will help me.

1) The game most of the time crashes to desktop, with no explanation.

2) when i try to uninstall rise from erebus 1.30, i get this error message:

"this installation can only be unistalled on 64-bit windows"

I am using windows 7 32 bit, so how can i unistall this mod?

Thank you all in advance.

Have you tried just manually deleting the folder instead?
I did not even know it had an uninstall feature.

Very true. But, if it's not a bug and simply a RIFE addition, which it seems to be given your post, then it's a bit much. It then becomes a balance issue. Stephanos' Withdrawal ability is far too great coupled with the fact that he can sit on any inaccessible terrain he wants to recover his HP and, if you do manage to get a lucky dice roll and he doesn't escape, he gets reborn so you have to rinse and repeat the whole procedure again. Perhaps, not quite a balance issue but a "fun factor" issue. Stephanos is not "fun" in that incarnation. He should represent a very visible threat and be nasty. But, not something that you can't kill due to game mechanics and "special abilities." If I have a unit with an attack OVER 9000! and Stephanos can simply dodge merrily away at 4 moves on any terrain once his HP get low and get reborn should he fail his dice roll... That's a bit much, IMO.

The only saving grace is that Stephanos gets obsessed with destroying a certain city, once he's decided it's doomed. So, from the several reload sessions I had trying to figure him out, it appears that he'll eventually return to whatever city has thwarted his attempts. But, laying a trap there to "catch" him? Very, very, very difficult... and tedious. He needs something nerfed a little bit, to still present a challenge but not make it so difficult. He is, after all, only the First Horseman. Do the rest get progressively much worse, all armed with BFG 9000s and wearing plutonium aftershave?

BTW, Stephanos popped sometime in the Low 200's in my game. (Normal speed) I couldn't reach the Sheam before they had amped up the counter.

(Apologies if this has turned into a flavor/gameplay/balance issue instead of a bug-report.)

Technically you can kill him for good. He respawns at the plot he initially spawned on. :p

Hii I have been playing Rise from Erebus for a while, and i enjoyed it a lot.

but i had to problems, and i hope you guys will help me.

1) The game most of the time crashes to desktop, with no explanation.

2) when i try to uninstall rise from erebus 1.30, i get this error message:

"this installation can only be unistalled on 64-bit windows"

I am using windows 7 32 bit, so how can i unistall this mod?

Thank you all in advance.

What are you doing when it crashes?

As for the other one, just delete the mod folder.

Actually, believe it or not, Stephanos is the strongest of the 4, (In some situations). Sure, in comparison with the others, he is way behind, but, remind that he comes first.
Most probably is that is early-mid game when AC reaches 40 (If some Sheaim has been working on that, or something else).
That does mean that Stephanos is stronger, very strong, mid-early game since players do not have the ability to counter him with powerful units, mages or anything.

In contrast, usually, when the AC reaches 50 or 70, it's usually late game. The riders that come then are, indeed, stronger than Stephanos, but however, players in that moment do have late game units that, with some effort, could kill those Riders easily. (Also mages with summons, etc.).

Another thing that makes Stephanos OP is that his mere presence creates 5 unhapiness in ALL cities in the world (Excep those that are at peace with Agares). Early game and mid game those effects are terrible, most probably due to lack of happiness buildings. (Sometimes it comes also with the Blight effect, because the AC increased dramatically by something, causing many AI and player cities to starve).

And that's not all: Should Stephanos defeat a unit, that unit has a big chance to being dominated by Stephanos, adding more paing to the situation.

And the others? Buboes does raises the AC a bit when he kills a living unit (Due to his sword) and has an ability that can give Burning blood to units (Although Burning blood does have a chance for your units to become barbs, it can be easily countered with a loyalty spell, and also, Burning blood enhances combat) . Nothing else. Not more painful that Stephanos isn't it?. (This means that Buboes is weaker than Stephanos early game!). Also it should be noticed that Stephanos have more base strength than Ars and Yersinia, though less than Buboes. (The others have more Strength in form of Poison and Death, so if you are immune they're weaker than Stephanos and Buboes).

Yersinia's unique ability is to pass the plague to units in combat. It hardly matters since Yersinia will kill weaker units most of the time. (His worldeffect causes unhealth..). If you're resistant to unholy or Poison damage, you'll have a much easier time with Yersinia than the others.
Ars is somewhat stronger than Stephanos, but most of his power relies on death and unholy and his base strength is not better than a Phalanx. Though his special spell causes a lot of damage and Ars can create a powerful Wraith if succesfull in combat, Ars is pretty much late game Rider since he comes at AC 70 (I think?) so a well prepared army wouldn't have much trouble at all.

"fun factor" issue. Stephanos is not "fun" in that incarnation. He should represent a very visible threat and be nasty. But, not something that you can't kill due to game mechanics and "special abilities."

That's why Stephanos should be revised. I'm afraid this is not a bug report anymore, but is better here than there and set up the theory again.

I don't think the riders need to be nerfed, even if Stephanos is only the first of the riders, he comes at AC 40, which means 40% Armageddon. I doubt that a RL nuclear world war would be as bad as 40% Erebus Armageddon.

I do however realise that the current Rider behaviour is far from perfect: Even if it is the most efficient way to destroy all of civilization, 4 Riders sitting on the same tile in the middle of the ocean and doing nothing is neither fun nor flavourful. Would it be a lot of effort to create a Unit AI which will always attack - even if the odds are against it? Kind of like an even more aggressive version of Crazed?

Right there, they shouldn't be nerfed (...), but (sic) they have to be revised. After all they represent the Armaggeddon and Hell coming to Erebus, isn't it?. They're supposed to create chaos, but at the same time, become a part of the game, without spoiling it badly to all players.

Nothing in particular. It happens mostly when i play Mechanos, but happened with the Legion and with Matazl as well. Any Tip?

Nothing in particular. It happens mostly when i play Mechanos, but happened with the Legion and with Matazl as well. Any Tip?

Can be anything, I'm afraid.
Sometimes I had CTD due to corrupted civ.ini.
Other times where caused by a unit casting dispel magic.

As a suggestion: You can try enabling logging?

Or else, more easy. You can upload your savefile (Tell which modmods you use first). If you have luck someone will look at it.

Are you using any modules? Do the crashes happen during the AI turn or during your turn? Are the CTDs repeatable?

...I do however realise that the current Rider behaviour is far from perfect: Even if it is the most efficient way to destroy all of civilization, 4 Riders sitting on the same tile in the middle of the ocean and doing nothing is neither fun nor flavourful. Would it be a lot of effort to create a Unit AI which will always attack - even if the odds are against it? Kind of like an even more aggressive version of Crazed?

That's a decent suggestion, provided he wasn't completely idiotic about it. Heck, even if he was, that would be much better than having to chase his butt around the map for a hundred turns.. twice...

He does appear to "lock on" to a certain city, if he has previously attacked it. After awhile, it was pretty obvious that if I gave him the opportunity and a clear path, he'd eventually come back to attack that city. So, that behavior is helpful in this situation. But, increasing his aggressiveness would also be very helpful.

Hi!

The attached game crashes for me! So please:
  1. Load the game.
  2. Hit Enter.
  3. If it doesn't freeze or die for you please upload the save for the next turn.
Thank you! :)

Attachments

• dot Turn_0036 the crash site.CivBeyondSwordSave
    171.9 KB · Views: 56
Not sure if this is considered gamebalance or a bug, but if the Mazatl are beaten to one of the religions, they do not get a disciple to spread the religion to their city when they research the tech.

Edit: Actually, this might've been premature. I started a new game and founded Empyrean this time, but also got a discipline from founding in addition to the holy city. I intended to go back to my old game and re-research Honor, just to make sure I hadn't somehow missed the disciple, but my last save was 30 turns behind researching it so I was too lazy to double check. (The new game had replaced all autosaves.)

Are you using any modules? Do the crashes happen during the AI turn or during your turn? Are the CTDs repeatable?

I am using the "mechara order" and the "bannor chain of command" modules. Crashes mostly happen during AI turn. As soon as i get a new crash i will post a savegame.

Thank you for your help guys!

Top Bottom