Northeast Asian City Styles

The irregular shape of the city was to give it a less grid-like look, which was not really applicable to ancient Tamna for geographical and geomantic reasons; this one in particular was arranged to somewhat mimic the constellation Ursa Major as was the case in 6th century Jeju City.

Anyway, I've been thinking about how to do a new Chinese city set based on the layout of Tang Dynasty era Luoyang, but I'm still in the process of new experimenting with creating roofs.

Intriguing on both counts - can't wait to see your Luoyang.

Best,

Oz

After an hour of experimentation, I've finally developed the art of the roof style for a Heian Japanese shinden-zukuri. It's not Tang Chinese Luoyang, but I guess I'll go for a Heian-specific pack before figuring that one.

Attachments

• shinden.png
    shinden.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 39
Actually, I carved it from a single keystone wedge.

I upgraded to Bryce 7. It's not a figure available in 6.1.

Tamna modern.

Far from done, of course. Just working around with the layouts; most of the buildings here are placeholders for now. For the "palace" object, I'm going to replace that with modern Gwandeokjeong and Gwanaji. The bangsatap in the roundabout stays; there are strangely many roundabouts in Jeju (for reasons unknown to me, given that they are highly annoying and make traffic worse there!) and several of the major Bangsataps have been preserved or re-built. The dolharubang pair stays also. I think I'll keep that ancient watch-tower to represent the Samyang prehistoric village site reconstruction. All but one of the thatched-roof homes will be changed.

Funny thing is that I lived in Jeju City for more than two years, but actually trying to re-create it is easier said than done. :crazyeye:

Attachments

• tamnamodern.png
    tamnamodern.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 45
Quick question: are those apartments in the back too detailed? I was thinking that they might stand out too much compared to the other buildings.

Made a few additions and changes.

Attachments

• tamnamodern2.png
    tamnamodern2.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 82
For now, yes. I don't know how much I can cram without making it look too busy, even with Kyriakos's trick of larger-sized city graphics. Any suggestions on how to expand it would be appreciated. :)

The thatched tower and the thatched roof home are going to be changed into modern structures. I'm kind of attached to the large traditional tiled-roof compound near the "palace" (represented by the Gwandeokjeong and Gwanaji complex), but it is inaccurate to have so many traditional buildings for the modern graphics. Maybe I could keep it there and just stick a few more modern buildings around it.

what about a park?

Any suggestions on where to put that in the pic?

Or a sex museum? haha
If I included one, I'd also have to include the other 2. (although I wouldn't be surprise if there's a #4 tucked away somewhere on the island). And those ridiculous Teddy Bear museums, too. :crazyeye:

Any suggestions on where to put that in the pic?
Maybe on the front left where the one thatched roof building is? I'm not too sure, but I would think it would have to be on the left or right front otherwise the large apartments would cover it.

If I included one, I'd also have to include the other 2. (although I wouldn't be surprise if there's a #4 tucked away somewhere on the island). And those ridiculous Teddy Bear museums, too. :crazyeye:
I knew there was at least two, its amazing how many museums are on that small island. Love Land would be an interesting wonder, although I'm not sure you could upload a splash on this site.

One suggestion for increasing modernity would be to remove some of the older buildings & leave some space. representing widening of streets, etc. A high-rise under construction with exposed girders & a crane is another possibility.

Update.

Attachments

• tamnamodern3.png
    tamnamodern3.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom