GOTM 162

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
Game of the Month 162: Jan 2015

Civilization: 1 Indian settler
Starting techs: None
Difficulty: Deity
Total players: 4 (Romans, Egyptians, Greeks)
Restarts: on
Barbarians: Roving Bands (-25)
Known map (which means you can open it in map editor at any point in the game)

We start 2015 with the smallest size map the map editor allows. This is going to be quick and fun no matter how you play it. The world is 20x15 20x50 and has a 5x5 island in the middle surrounded by 4 3x3 islands each of which is surrounded by 3 1x1 islands. The medium islands house a rival each. The distance between the large and medium islands is 5 (beyond the reach of a trireme). The small islands can be reached with a trireme from the medium islands.

Deadline: March 2, 2015

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

You can download the game here.

Have fun.

Attachments

• GOTM162.jpg
    GOTM162.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,857
You finished already!? Wow. I knew this one will be quick but this is faster than I expected. Submit what you have. Be more careful with saves going forward.

Finished late:),bad luck a civ restarted with gunpowder(musks) quick,one tile city,need marines or ironclads and my first trireme with settler for 'paradise' island :) wreck..

I have a question about this game.

There are a lot of 1 square islands. If a trireme ends its turn in the city on a 1 square island, the game interprets this as "being away from land" and the ship may be "lost at sea". Is it okay to reload if this should occur and try again to see if the ship survives? Or, do we have to make sure we leave the ship outside of the city (where it will correctly see that the ship is near land)?

Good point. That is a bug and you should reload.

It is best to save right before doing so and reload if you lose the ship. If you forget, go back to the last known save.

Most know this already, but in case you do not, if you plan to be inside a 1-tile city and have any movement left you can fortify your unit rather than skip (hitting space) and then wake up the unit right away. Using this technique the trireme never sinks.

For the sake of completeness I should mention that this is just to get around the bug of losing a trireme inside a 1-tile city. Avoiding the normal loss of a trireme when travelling long distance is considered cheating.

I was aiming for blue here, thinking that settling the poles would be the key, but obviously, I was wrong. It was Future Techs!

Congratulations, Ali!

Top Bottom