best desktop for under $300 for civ 5?

qwertyjjj

Chieftain
The cheapest I can find on newegg.ca is this one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227597

I was hoping for something under $300 - is it possible?

I've tried starting it on my current laptop but it refuses to start - probably the graphics card isn't good enough.

Code:
Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    CPU Family:  0x6
    CPU Model:  0xf
    CPU Stepping:  0x2
    CPU Type:  0x0
    Speed:  1662 Mhz
    2 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Unsupported
    SSE42:  Unsupported

Network Information:
    Network Speed:  

Operating System Version:
    Windows 7 (32 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver:  Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family

DirectX Driver Name:  igdumd32.dll
    Driver Version:  8.15.10.1930
    DirectX Driver Version:  8.14.10.1930
    Driver Date: 23 Sept 2009
    OpenGL Version: 1.4
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    DirectX Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    VendorID:  0x8086
    DeviceID:  0x27a2
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1280 x 800
    Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Primary Display Size: 17.80" x 11.10"  (20.94" diag)
                                            45.2cm x 28.2cm  (53.2cm diag)
    Primary Bus Type Not Detected
    Primary VRAM: 91 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes Not Detected

Sound card:
    Audio device: Headphones (High Definition Aud

Memory:
    RAM:  3062 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    UI Language:  English
    Microphone:  Not set
    Media Type:  DVD
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  139999 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  44044 Mb
    OS Install Date: Apr 27 2015
    Game Controller: None detected

Installed software:
    Adobe Flash Player 18 NPAPI
    Google Chrome
    Google Update Helper
    Intel® Driver Update Utility
    Intel(R) Driver Update Utility 2.0
    Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
    Mozilla Firefox 38.0.5 (x86 en-US)
    Mozilla Maintenance Service
    OpenOffice 4.1.1
    Sid Meier's Civilization V
    Steam
    TeamViewer 10

I doubt you could get anything decent for Civ V under $300 dollars and that PC you posted is pushing it. You could certainly use more Ram and a graphics card with at least 2 gig to help. Still, I suppose you could buy that pc and upgrade certain components (like the ram) later, that`s the great advantage of pcs.

I doubt you could get anything decent for Civ V under $300 dollars and that PC you posted is pushing it. You could certainly use more Ram and a graphics card with at least 2 gig to help. Still, I suppose you could buy that pc and upgrade certain components (like the ram) later, that`s the great advantage of pcs.

On the current laptop, specs above, the game won't even start!
I press play, it asks me to select directx 9 or 10/11. I've tried both and nothing happens.
SCreen just closes.

Those specs tell you why: the highest version of DirectX you have installed is 8.

You can try searching for Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, which is the integrated graphics card you are using. It might be able to handle DirectX 9. It probably can't handle anything higher. The processor is junk.

$300 buys you a junk laptop capable of little more than word processing and browsing the internet, and some variable amount of hours of streaming movies before it dies. A laptop in general is a terrible choice for a gaming rig, even at obscene prices (ie above $3000).

You're better off saving up to buy a halfway decent Dell desktop, and from there upgrading components as you can afford to. I've seen solid Dell builds going as cheap as $600, with a strong quad core, 8GB of RAM, and a low end video card at least capable of running DirectX 11.

The one you linked can run CiV, but I'd strongly recommend spending a little extra on a Dell. It's not worth engaging in the guessing game of which parts are going to fail soon just to save an extra ~$100-$150.

Those specs tell you why: the highest version of DirectX you have installed is 8.

I ran the installer manually as advise din troubleshooting, and it told me I had 11. :crazyeye:
The reinstalled it.
Not sure what else to do.

I press play, it asks me to select directx 9 or 10/11. I've tried both and nothing happens.
SCreen just closes.

I was talking about the pc advert you posted.
You won`t get Civ 5 working on your current pc laptop. You need to get a new one. You`ll need $500 dollars to get a decent one and a proper desktop since laptops are always more expensive for the same specs.

I ran the installer manually as advise din troubleshooting, and it told me I had 11. :crazyeye:
The reinstalled it.
Not sure what else to do.
It probably can't support anything higher than DirectX 8.

I'm sure it's not that ancient; the integrated graphics on my five year old desktop, with its 7+ year old design, can handle DirectX 9.

Sadly, that's the kind of trade-off you're making when you go with a laptop, or go cheap, and almost assuredly when you try for both.

You can try searching for Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, which is the integrated graphics card you are using. It might be able to handle DirectX 9. It probably can't handle anything higher. The processor is junk.

$300 buys you a junk laptop capable of little more than word processing and browsing the internet, and some variable amount of hours of streaming movies before it dies. A laptop in general is a terrible choice for a gaming rig, even at obscene prices (ie above $3000).

You're better off saving up to buy a halfway decent Dell desktop, and from there upgrading components as you can afford to. I've seen solid Dell builds going as cheap as $600, with a strong quad core, 8GB of RAM, and a low end video card at least capable of running DirectX 11.

The one you linked can run CiV, but I'd strongly recommend spending a little extra on a Dell. It's not worth engaging in the guessing game of which parts are going to fail soon just to save an extra ~$100-$150.
Agreed. Finding a $300 desktop to play Civ on any standard size map won't happen. Buying a used computer with a first Gen i7 maybe if one can be found that has a video card. The integrated graphics on the Intels are no where near what AMD offers.

My wife's i7 laptop with a Nvidia 860M can barely handle the game once mid game rolls around.

Any interest in building a computer? Do you have any previous parts you could use? This would help reduce the cost quite a bit if you have parts you can use to transplant together.

Also, you are listing Newegg Canada, is this Canada indeed?
The problem you will run into is finding a pre built computer that has a 6 pin power plug for modern video cards. Without one of these plugs you will have a much more difficult time finding a video card that will work. If you had parts you could build something that will run it under $500 most likely maybe even $400.

Any interest in building a computer? Do you have any previous parts you could use? This would help reduce the cost quite a bit if you have parts you can use to transplant together.

Also, you are listing Newegg Canada, is this Canada indeed?
The problem you will run into is finding a pre built computer that has a 6 pin power plug for modern video cards. Without one of these plugs you will have a much more difficult time finding a video card that will work. If you had parts you could build something that will run it under $500 most likely maybe even $400.

Only part I have is a 300Gb hard drive but it's not worth much.
I could build but I think I'd rather buy pre built to save some time.
Yep, will be for Canada.
Why will there be no 6pin plugs for video cards? A lot seem to come with the standard market cards nVidia, Radeon, etc...
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4959030&CatId=114
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-alpha/pd?ref=PD_OC

The specs for what was listed amounts is actually quite a bit worse than most tablets.

It's probably best to wait for Windows 10 to come out, but if you can't wait, get a 64 bit processor and at least quad core, at least 4 GB of RAM (8 would be much better), and a graphics card that will support the next version of Direct X which last I heard is expected to come out on or shortly after Windows 10.

The specs for what was listed amounts is actually quite a bit worse than most tablets.

It's probably best to wait for Windows 10 to come out, but if you can't wait, get a 64 bit processor and at least quad core, at least 4 GB of RAM (8 would be much better), and a graphics card that will support the next version of Direct X which last I heard is expected to come out on or shortly after Windows 10.

I'll be using Linux anyway I think.
Alienware?

He doesn`t need to wait for Windows X, as long as he gets 7 or 8, he will get X free automatically.

Also, if you want the cheapest, best pc, don`t buy ready made. Buy the parts and build your own. It`s easier than it looks. You can save at least $100 or more doing it that way and you`re not paying for labour which is another $100 freed up I bet. The hardest part is the research, but there`s plenty of info on the net computer sites.

He doesn`t need to wait for Windows X, as long as he gets 7 or 8, he will get X free automatically.

Also, if you want the cheapest, best pc, don`t buy ready made. Buy the parts and build your own. It`s easier than it looks. You can save at least $100 or more doing it that way and you`re not paying for labour which is another $100 freed up I bet. The hardest part is the research, but there`s plenty of info on the net computer sites.

Is $500 a good budget fr something decent to play Civ v, Half Life, COD, etc.?
What video card would be recommended and what mobo/processor?

I'm running Civ5 on a $350 rig with a solid CPU, 8GB of RAM and a crappy integrated graphics card. I don't know the level of details but they're on the upper end and the game looks really good in full HD

Seems expensive?PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($208.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($115.20 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1005.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-29 11:14 EDT-0400

If you already have a computer tower, I can picture getting mobo/processor/graphics card to put in it for ~500 and having something solid. I have a radeon 7870 and amd fx 8 core that, including the tower, was ~700 a bit less than 2 years ago. That runs the game pretty well. I wonder what turn time is good these days on dx11.

Seems expensive?PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($208.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($115.20 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1005.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-29 11:14 EDT-0400

$600 is being spent on GPU and CPU, and you may have them a bit higher than you need for just Civ V. You should be able to get a decent video card for half that, and you could probably get a perfectly fine CPU for half that as well.

I have not build a PC for a couple years so I don't have any recent experience with what's out there but you seem to be shopping at the high end. I get most of my components at NewEgg.

Top Bottom