best desktop for under $300 for civ 5?

You also don't necessarily need an aftermarket CPU cooler, especially if you aren't going to do overclocking. What you do need though is thermal paste: that stuff can make a huge, huge difference when applied properly, and a vial that is good for 5-6 uses will cost you 10 bucks tops.

AMD Piledriver architecture isn't that useful for gaming, especially since Civ5's DLL code isn't optimized well for multiple cores (the engine might be, I do not know). Something like an AMD Phenom II x6 Black T1100 will perform just as well, possibly even better in some cases, for half the price. Plus there's the usual AMD vs. Intel price-to-performance thing: the rule of thumb is that AMD is better in price-to-performance under $120 - $150 depending on who you ask, but anything above that is Intel's reign by a country mile, so if you're sticking with a $200 CPU, I'd go for an Intel i5 or i7 one.

As a final note, remember, when it comes to desktops, you should be aiming for price/performance, not pure price or pure performance (unless you really don't care about the other). It's better to buy a $200 card that won't need upgrading for 6 years than a $150 card that will need upgrading in 3 years.
Laptops are slightly different matter, though the reasoning behind them is the same as the reasoning behind why going for pure performance is not a good idea: the more expensive the laptop, the sooner it will become outdated for the task you bought it for. A $2000 gaming laptop that can run today's games at the highest settings won't be able to run games at highest settings in a 1-2 years, while a $700 laptop bought for everyday use and some light gaming will probably still be good for everyday use and light gaming 5 years later.

The main problem with a desktop is you can`t just upgrade cheaply. You have to almost literally buy a whole new laptop. This is a very expensive way to do things.

A desktop is cheaper and is easily upgradable. My PC is basically six years old, but over those six years I`v always upgraded. Today, nothing in my pc is the same age except for the case! All of it has been upgraded gradually, saving me a ton of money and giving me a pc that rivals the mid-high end ones you`d pay out the nose for in a store.

AMD Piledriver architecture isn't that useful for gaming, especially since Civ5's DLL code isn't optimized well for multiple cores (the engine might be, I do not know).
Like almost all games, it probably only uses, and is only optimized for, two cores.

Like almost all games, it probably only uses, and is only optimized for, two cores.

Based on my time debugging my mod, it's definitely not that simple. The game will usually have at least 11 threads running at once (I've seen it climb up to around 19 once), though only one thread is for the DLL's code. Tasks that run on separate threads include the audio systems, the virtual filesystem, certain graphical systems, and a bunch of ntdll threads that could very well be anything.

Based on my time debugging my mod, it's definitely not that simple. The game will usually have at least 11 threads running at once (I've seen it climb up to around 19 once), though only one thread is for the DLL's code. Tasks that run on separate threads include the audio systems, the virtual filesystem, certain graphical systems, and a bunch of ntdll threads that could very well be anything.

1 thread doing almost all the real work (the DLL) one. The others are IO bound.
On a machine with 2 cores, the OS will place the DLL on one core and all the others on the other core.

With more, the sub ones would also get spread out across all of them, but will have little impact on performance unless there's some other program in use that's hogging one of the other cores.

OK so I've cut the CPU ang gpu.
Does this look on? Do I need a soundcard?
Is there anything else I could cut down on?PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz Triple-Core Processor ($100.47 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($115.20 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $623.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-30 08:50 EDT-0400

OK so I've cut the CPU ang gpu.
Does this look on? Do I need a soundcard?
Is there anything else I could cut down on?PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz Triple-Core Processor ($100.47 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($115.20 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $623.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-30 08:50 EDT-0400

The memory, hardrive, graphics card, case are nice.

PSU is a little on the low side, go for a 600W to 700W to be on the safe side.

Have you thought about an i5 intel cpu or an intel i7? they are a little more expensive, but well worth it. If you can`t afford i7 go i5. AMD are cheap, but can run very hot and use more power.

You would need to change your motherboard to one that could use Intel 1150 motherboards. Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are good brands to go for.

As for soundcards, most Motherboards come ready for sound, so they are not essential. However, if you want more `oomph` and less motherboard work, a good soundcard can help.

Have you thought about an i5 intel cpu or an intel i7? they are a little more expensive, but well worth it. If you can`t afford i7 go i5. AMD are cheap, but can run very hot and use more power.

You would need to change your motherboard to one that could use Intel 1150 motherboards. Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are good brands to go for.

As for soundcards, most Motherboards come ready for sound, so they are not essential. However, if you want more `oomph` and less motherboard work, a good soundcard can help.

Adds a bit more going for i5 and 600w seems to be more too. Is 500 not enough?PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($218.25 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $759.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-30 11:07 EDT-0400

AMD probably runs hot if you over-clock. I've been running AMD stuff for years though and it's been cooler than the intel stuff I've had/seen.

A month for me on speed 5 in EU IV is 4-5 seconds. People running on I5s and i7s are reporting months 3-4 seconds. I outperform some of the intel builds in our weekly MP games in Civ V (IE I consistently roll turns noticeably faster), though I suspect it is my graphics card vs theirs that is causing that difference in performance.

IMO Intel is quite a bit ahead for high-end builds, but AMD wins the budget build competition, especially if you start using stuff that can take advantage of the extra cores.

If you want to improve marginal performance for marginal cost, AMD + better graphics card wins until you start getting into the higher prices far as I can tell.

Adds a bit more going for i5 and 600w seems to be more too. Is 500 not enough?PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($218.25 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $759.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-30 11:07 EDT-0400

AMD is fine if cost is a problem. When I got my first PC I chose AMD due to price so go for it.

A 600 watt psu should not cost that much more. A good PSU with plenty of power is very important. It is like the heart of the body. If the PSU starts to have problems with power this will have its effect on the rest of the system, especially if you`re going AMD as well. Don`t skimp on it, even if you have to leave out your soundcard. Also once you get a good one, you`re future proofed as psus are a pain to install and uninstall.

Use this to help you see what you need. Always get more power than the sytem calculates for any extra stuff you may get.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Adds a bit more going for i5 and 600w seems to be more too. Is 500 not enough?

Where's the thermal paste? I'm serious, don't underestimate the power of that goop. I lowered the temperature of my CPU by about 15 C with thermal paste alone. I even re-applied thermal paste on my GPU, which barely lowered temperatures, but did lower fan rates by about 1000 rpm.

The key thing to remember about power supplies is that their capacitors decay: even the ones labelled as "Gold 80 Plus" or something similar will end up with diminished power output over time. Even if you don't need the extra 100W now, that extra 100W will come in handy in 6 years' time when your power supply's decay might start dipping its power output dangerously close to your power requirements. Think of that 100W as another 2-3 years on your power supply's lifespan.

As I said, the turning point between AMD and Intel is roughly around the $150 mark. If you're willing to go for a $200 CPU, by all means, go Intel, but if the extra $50 - $100 is too much, there's no shame in going AMD; Civ5 is a fairly mainstream enough game that you'll be able to find benchmarks online for how well certain CPU's run Civ5.

LOL, OP is at double his budget. You can get a new Mac Mini for $500 and never have to deal with Windows again.
http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

Mac Minis are terrible for anything other than HTPC's (Home Theater PC): they feature the immobility of a desktop coupled with the inability to upgrade of a laptop. Even if they come at a low price point, they can cost twice as much in the long run because of how poor they are for upgrades. Their only real upsides are how quiet they run and how inconspicuous they look, which is why I'd say they are still decent as HTPC's. Even if you ended up installing Windows on it, Apple's PC drivers are notoriously unreliable. If I had a nickel for every time I've been forced to deal with Apple's drivers f*cking things up on someone else's machine...

Mac Minis are terrible for anything other than HTPC's (Home Theater PC)

A mini is terrific for running Civ V or BERT -- which is all OP is looking for! It might not do well with Civ VI, but maybe it will be okay. Any game that has a native OS X port will be fine. Steam games are pretty well supported, but there is non-Steam version of V if you would rather.

Even if you ended up installing Windows on it, Apple's PC drivers are notoriously unreliable.

We agree that installing Windows on a Mac is a terrible idea...

There are many ways to evaluate a motherboard, but most probably don't matter to you. Given a CPU that limits the selection. That dictates the type of memory as well. Your not going for over clocking or best performance so get the best deal u can find. Sometimes NewEgg will bundle up components to move things faster. Reliability is certainly important which you can kind of match with the manufacturer. Again on NewEgg there are always tons of reviews so I would recommend at least looking there to read the reviews for the MB you are considering.

I have chosen MBs based on their integrated audio before. My current build is both and ASUS MB (MB ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX AM3+ R) and GPU (VGA ASUS|GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GTX670 2G). Keeping your gear with the same manufacturer has a better chance they where actually tested together and might play better with each other.

I looked up what NewEgg has to offer with ASUS AMD MBs and found this comparison:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...$$$$$$$;13-131-942:$$$$$$$;13-131-877:$$$$$$$

The expensive one is revision 2 of my MB which has worked flawlessly for over 3 years now and there are lots of reviews. The cheap one is only $69 but has no reviews. People who build their own PCs tend to spend more as the MB is pretty much the most critical part.

Here is a cheap CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113326 for only $75

Here is a nice little ASUS GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121911 for only $129

Here is better faster memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231538 for only $60

If you chose the nice $165 MB plus this CPU, GPU, and memory that's $430 which is cheaper than your AMD set above.

Finally a nice power supply (650W): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153173 for $70

A good motherboard is crucial next to a PSU. The PSU is the heart, the MB is like the whole nervous system of the body of a PC. If that goes wrong everything on it, the cpu, ram, etc will suffer.
Do your research and try to get a good reliable one. Don`t go cheapest, but something reasonable. Asus is reliable. Don`t forget to thank people for helping you!

An i5 is a good choice. No need to go with a pricier i7 - it will be years before it offers any considerable advantage, unless you plan on doing things like recording gameplay.

IMO Intel is quite a bit ahead for high-end builds, but AMD wins the budget build competition, especially if you start using stuff that can take advantage of the extra cores.
Even now, very little seems to. That's intentional, as a considerable portion of people still use dual core machines.

I prefer Intel solely because I've never had a problem with it, and over the years I've seen many users report problems with AMD machines. I understand AMD has tried to address this by improving the quality of their drivers, but I still wouldn't recommend AMD to novices.

Top Bottom