How to combat Deity AI tourism?

Athenaeum

Prince
This seems to be one of my biggest flaws on Deity/Immortal...combating the dominant tourism AI.

My way of getting by has been to rely on another AI to resist the dominant tourism AI from becoming influential with it. This works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't and it's a pretty crappy thing to rely on.

I would like to be able to defend against dominant AI tourism on my own without relying on another AI to do it for me...would you recommend any tips for this?

Getting your culture up is pretty obvious...but what are some good ways to do this mid-game and late-game? I typically build and fill all my guilds.

I'm not sure I understand tourism too well.

In my experience it doesn't seem to do much of anything till you get to the later technologies like Broadcast Towers (and policies like the 3rd level Freedom one to give you more tourism in cities with the towers).

I've seen references to people doing it really early. I have tried something like this with Piety and trying to get sacred sites, but it is so rare I can afford to fill Piety. On the rare occasions I can it seems like an AI civ has already taken sacred sites (they love this, and hate tithe like the plague; I have never seen tithe taken by the AI).

I've managed to build the parthenon, and done all I can to build culture. But nothing starts to move till technologies at the end of the tree.

Of course I never use the Aesthetics tree, so maybe that is the key.

Ha ha. Easy answer is you don't, instead wait with your ideology pick to see which one the culture runaway picked and follow suit. Usually it might get voted as World Ideology.

A trickier way of dealing with that if you're not going for the culture win is to have guilds and own tourism early enough, yes even musicians and try not to fall too behind (you will anyway). Either way vote your ideology as the world ideology

A little tourism very early goes a long way; it's much easier for your tourism to reach 10% of the leader towards cultural victory than to maintain more than 10 times the culture that their tourism is.

Becoming influential means their cumulative tourism surpasses your culture, correct? I'm not talking about your tourism vs their tourism, I'm talking about your culture vs their tourism.

The easiest is conquest. If you see an AI hoarding cultural wonders, conquer it's cities. You get to steal some of it's great works and steal it's places to store them, so it won't be able to produce lot's of tourism until refrigeration. But basically if you get his 3 main cities, that AI will be out of the game, and if you get them early enough they won't bother you with ideology pressure at all.

It the ai is already bothering you with ideology pressure, and you don't have enough tourism to counter it, you might want to eliminate that AI from the game because if others pick that ideology it's only going to get worse for you.

It is rare that an AI will win culturally before you get a chance to win, games go up to T350 (on Deity) and there is still no AI winner, you most likely win by then.

Becoming influential means their cumulative tourism surpasses your culture, correct? I'm not talking about your tourism vs their tourism, I'm talking about your culture vs their tourism.
Ideological pressure, unlike cultural influence, only goes in one direction, so it is actually the net influence level of Civ A vs Civ B. Even being 10% influential (Exotic) over the tourism leader will at least reduce ideological pressure. Tourism is always nice to have even if you aren't going for a CV.

My way of getting by has been to rely on another AI to resist the dominant tourism AI from becoming influential with it. This works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't and it's a pretty crappy thing to rely on.

This is my biggest frustration with Deity games as well. So far, I am not seeing any good answers in this thread.

Getting your culture up is pretty obvious...but what are some good ways to do this mid-game and late-game? I typically build and fill all my guilds.

With this sort of game, it seems to me I would have to increase my culture by 4-5 times what I am already typically getting from guilds and themed Oxford and Hermitage. It feels broken.

The easiest is conquest. If you see an AI hoarding cultural wonders, conquer it's cities.

Yes, playing completely different would do it. But that is not really helpful advise!

It is rare that an AI will win culturally before you get a chance to win, games go up to T350 (on Deity) and there is still no AI winner, you most likely win by then.

It is less than half the time, but I would not characterize the phenomenon as “rare”.

With the Iroquois DCL, I lost by CV on turn 262. But that seemed to be something of a fluke since most players won later than that. Had it not been a shared map, I would have chalked the game up to being unwinnable (for me, with my current skill set).

@Athenaeum, I think the only solution might be to replay the map, knowing who ahead of time who will be the Tourism run-away, and try and grief them from the start. That is what worked for me with the Iroquois DCL, but I have not had the chance to try the strategy again. With that game, Inca was too distant for me to war on them directly. (And for games where this is typically a problem, the CV runaway is often on a different continent.) But on my retries, I never signed DoF w/ them, bribed others to DoW them whenever I could, and even bribed Inca to DoW his neighbors once or twice. It was all enough to slow down his CV or to provide another AI (either Polynesia or Russia, results varried) the space to work on their culture.

I don’t think it is feasible to increase your culture enough to make the difference, which is really poor game design I think. Helping to engineering some competition might be practical.

Q: How to combat Deity AI tourism?
A: Kill them.

A: Kill them.

If you can pull it off, that works for every problem AI! But like I just wrote, variations on “learn to play better” are not very constructive. But at least you are trying to help on that front.

Even being 10% influential (Exotic) over the tourism leader will at least reduce ideological pressure.

Yes, but it won’t prevent (or even slow) an AI getting a CV. Yes, tourism is always nice to have even if you aren't going for a CV.

It's not a variation on 'How to play better'. If you play peaceful, you are permanently playing catch up with whichever one of Casimir/Pocatello/Ahmad/Gandhi etc has built 10 wonders and is basking in salt and desert hills. If you go to war, you can eliminate their tourism and use if for yourself.

I'm not being an antagonistic douche, I'm really trying to highlight that there doesn't have to be a dichotomy between Tall/Peaceful and DomV. Conquest is useful towards any victory. It won't give you the fastest SVs or DiploVs, but it really can help with CV a LOT. It helps with DomV, too, I hear ;)

I am still only on Immortal, but I have not been bothered excessively by Tourism pressure since I started paying better attention to the tourism modifiers. Try and avoid letting the AI have open borders with you, but do try and get them with them. That's a 25% swing right there. Get a diplomat to capitols with a different Ideology. Get a trade route open, it won't give you a net benefit but it will get you to 10% (Exotic) 25% faster. Start early with a few great works.

I also like the culture pantheons and collecting religious buildings which help with culture.

Yes, playing completely different would do it. But that is not really helpful advise!

Paying attention to other civs tourism, and building an army if you are in danger of losing the game, is not playing completely different. This might interfere with your plans (maybe you wanted to turtle for a SV) but you need to be reactive to the events in the game.

You may want to predict if a certain civ will be posing a thread in the future and plan accordingly to weaken them. Getting the capital and maybe 1-2 other core cities is not really changing your strategy completely. I did not say to go for domination, just take a detour in your grand strategy to make sure that you will have a chance to win.

Sometimes is enough to keep them at war the whole game with bribes, but that may not be reliable. So you are left with two things to slow down the AI: be faster yourself to surpass the AI and win before he gets a chance, or stop him by conquest. Conquest if the most reliable strategy here.

It is less than half the time, but I would not characterize the phenomenon as “rare”.

If you constantly try to kep the AIs that are in front busy with war, it is rare. But T350 was probably a bad example because it is pretty late. You can win before T300-T310 on most games.

With the Iroquois DCL, I lost by CV on turn 262. But that seemed to be something of a fluke since most players won later than that. Had it not been a shared map, I would have chalked the game up to being unwinnable (for me, with my current skill set).
The Iroquois DCL was fixed, someone had an extra setter (among other modifications). This is in no way a game to analyze the situation of stopping an AI that will win before you. The DCL games are interesting maps, that give something special or challenging to players. Using those turn times for benchmarks is not really correct since randoms maps are more diverse. For example how many times do you get a nice map like in the Russia DCL?

@Athenaeum, I think the only solution might be to replay the map, knowing who ahead of time who will be the Tourism run-away, and try and grief them from the start.

This is certainly not a solution, maybe at the second attempt that AI will try a different VC and you don't really need to do anything different. Replaying or rerolling maps is not a strategy.

Make sure you use a non island map such as pangea where it is easy to reveal most civilizations because cultural victories can come too early in non pangea maps way before the modern eras.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the OP's question. The issue isn't combatting AI tourism to prevent ideological unhappiness, it's combatting AI tourism to prevent the AI from winning a culture victory.
I would add that burning Great Writers and Artists (Golden Ages boost culture) rather than creating great works and allying with cultural city states are effective ways to boost your culture in a pinch. Declaring war on the AI will keep it form getting trade route and diplomat multipliers to tourism regardless of whether you actually try to invade.
Ultimately though, you need to keep in mind that, given enough time, powerful AIs will be able to win the game one way or another, and part of the game's challenge is winning before that happens.

Paying attention to other civs tourism, and building an army if you are in danger of losing the game, is not playing completely different. This might interfere with your plans (maybe you wanted to turtle for a SV) but you need to be reactive to the events in the game... Getting the capital and maybe 1-2 other core cities is not really changing your strategy completely. I did not say to go for domination, just take a detour in your grand strategy to make sure that you will have a chance to win.

I generally appreciate the time pressure from other AI to win quickly enough. Some of my most entertaining SV games have been when I had to mount a late-game strike to cripple an AI that had a couple more SS parts than I did. That’s fine.

My complaint is that a CV runaway cannot usually be dealt with that way. First, a CV runaway usually has to be dealt with much earlier than a SV runaway. There just are not enough turns and technology to take their cap quickly. Second, even taking three core cities hardly slows down their tourism, so the conquest would have to be much more robust than that.

You may want to predict if a certain civ will be posing a thread in the future and plan accordingly to weaken them.

I find it very hard to predict that there will be a single tourism run-away until it is too late for contingency plans.

Sometimes is enough to keep them at war the whole game with bribes, but that may not be reliable.

And again, keeping them at war the whole game, requires knowing from the first WC that they will be a problem -- and that no other AI will be tourism oriented.

So you are left with two things to slow down the AI: be faster yourself to surpass the AI and win before he gets a chance, or stop him by conquest. Conquest if the most reliable strategy here.

When this has been a problem for me, I was already finishing the game as quickly as I could. I was also warmongering to the best of my ability.

I am appreciating more the appeal of starting out game looking for a (Tradition-based) domination run. Warmongering helps every victory type and, once you are good at it, conquest is the most reliable strategy for every game.

The Iroquois DCL was fixed, someone had an extra setter (among other modifications).

Fair enough, and it was the tourism runaway (Inca) that had the extra settler. My point is that an AI wining by CV before T300 is not “rare” in my experience. I agree with Athenaeum that having to depend on another AI to keep them in check is extremely unsatisfying -- and I am not reading any really good OT advice in this thread so far. Sorry!

Replaying or rerolling maps is not a strategy.

My hope is that maybe someone can point out some very early signs that a single tourism runaway is likely?

Even better would be a recipe to have my culture significant enough to reliably delay any AI CV to turn 325 -- while letting me turtle to an SV. At this point, I am skeptical that such a recipe exists.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the OP's question. The issue isn't combatting AI tourism to prevent ideological unhappiness, it's combatting AI tourism to prevent the AI from winning a culture victory.

Yes, exactly.

I would add that burning Great Writers and Artists (Golden Ages boost culture) rather than creating great works and allying with cultural city states are effective ways to boost your culture in a pinch. Declaring war on the AI will keep it form getting trade route and diplomat multipliers to tourism regardless of whether you actually try to invade.

I usually theme Oxford and Hermitage. Should I be burning those GP instead?

Ultimately though, you need to keep in mind that, given enough time, powerful AIs will be able to win the game one way or another, and part of the game's challenge is winning before that happens.

Yes, and I very much appreciate that design. I am of the opinion that it is remarkably well balanced really. I am okay with all the advantages the Deity AI get -- except I think tourism is buffed a little too much.

Top Bottom