Freedom tenet Treaty Organization

sunbeam

Warlord
How do you deal with this? I've used it before in the late game with Venice (who can have a trade route with every city state). It is the biggest building block in a diplomatic victory.

And to be blunt it makes patronage obsolete. I know there are things in that tree for happiness and whatnot, but you can get guaranteed allied without basically doing anything other than trading (assuming no other civ does the same thing)

Several games I've gone Order, and had my main opponent go Freedom. Maybe it is a coincidence but these opponents were already doing well at the city state game. They get that tenet and it's all over.

Short of somehow getting embargo city states passed, or declaring permanent war and looting trade routes, what do I do?

Also can anyone tell me what Autocracy's gunboat diplomacy actually does? If the city state fears my military I automatically gain influence every turn?

So far I have had far better results going freedom than autocracy or order. I gather order is supposed to be good for science, but I've never lagged with freedom.

And on the kind of game I play when I go freedom, I have so much money I just buy every building anyway, so faster factories doesn't mean much.

Same thing with buying spaceship parts.

How do you deal with this? I've used it before in the late game with Venice (who can have a trade route with every city state). It is the biggest building block in a diplomatic victory.

Yes, this along with Arsenal of Democracy are the best tenets to gain influence over city states. It is also an nice synergy since both tenets are for the same ideology.

And to be blunt it makes patronage obsolete. I know there are things in that tree for happiness and whatnot, but you can get guaranteed allied without basically doing anything other than trading (assuming no other civ does the same thing)

I would argue that Patronage helps in other ways if you keep allies over the entire course of the game. But yes, if you want, you can easily get a Diplomatic Victory with Treaty Organization (and maybe Arsenal of Democracy) without a single tenet invested in Patronage.

Several games I've gone Order, and had my main opponent go Freedom. Maybe it is a coincidence but these opponents were already doing well at the city state game. They get that tenet and it's all over.

Short of somehow getting embargo city states passed, or declaring permanent war and looting trade routes, what do I do?

This should be enough if you manage to do it early enough. The AI loves to propose embargo city states, so you can easily get this proposed, if you really want it.

Also can anyone tell me what Autocracy's gunboat diplomacy actually does? If the city state fears my military I automatically gain influence every turn?

Yes, it also adds a boost so City States fear you easier, so you can get City States to fear you with less units. But you have to be careful not to stand in the CS territory (before you become friends) and not demand tribute (even though you can). If you actually demand tribute, you lose a lot of influence, and it is a lot harder to get the CS to fear you (at least for some time).

Top Bottom