Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

20. In CIV (1 or 2 i cant remember) you used to get to build your palace whenever the Citizens loved you... has this gone?

21. Spaceship victory how do you launch it? Last night I had 1 turn left in the game (before 2050) and i finished the final part (and all multiples of the other parts) but it didn't launch...

22. Last night I was able to build Canon's a few turns went by and I went to build some more canon's but I wasn't able to, only Catapults. I had to wait a few turns to go by before I could build them again.. whats up with that?

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do I bombard cities and units? I have catapults and I can attack with them, but that causes them to be destroyed. It does collateral damage, but doesn't reduce the city defense bonus. So how do I bombard cities to reduce their defense bonus?

Tephra said:
20. In CIV (1 or 2 i cant remember) you used to get to build your palace whenever the Citizens loved you... has this gone?

21. Spaceship victory how do you launch it? Last night I had 1 turn left in the game (before 2050) and i finished the final part (and all multiples of the other parts) but it didn't launch...

20. No, the palacing buildup is gone. It would have been a neat thing to keep in, though.

21. You no longer actually launch the spaceship, it does it automaticly. If you can't build any more of the ships pieces in cities, and all the parts are done, then, you should win. I'm not sure if it takes a turn to actually "launch", though. Anyone want to verify this?

S_Money said:
This is probably a really stupid question, but how do I bombard cities and units? I have catapults and I can attack with them, but that causes them to be destroyed. It does collateral damage, but doesn't reduce the city defense bonus. So how do I bombard cities to reduce their defense bonus?

There's an button that's got a picture of a target on it when you have catapults, or any other seige weapon selected. Click that. (I didn't see it at first, myself.)

23 (i think). Is there a "free range" camera option? Sulla's walkthrough topic mentioned it, but I haven't figured it out yet. Did it get turned off for the final release?

i am confused about the concept of power in Civ IV

does it actually increase production as in previous versions?
I don't think so. an icon appear at the world map showing that this city has power along with the religions.

Prince David said:
24. Can you make armies in Civ IV?
No. The very cool promotion system has replaced it.

25) How do you skip the second intro movie (the one about how the earth began, yada yada)? It's nice the first few times, but having to listen to it for 5 minutes every time is getting annoying :(

rahidz2003 said:
25) How do you skip the second intro movie (the one about how the earth began, yada yada)? It's nice the first few times, but having to listen to it for 5 minutes every time is getting annoying :(
Mouse click works for me.:D

rahidz2003 said:
Thanks...for some reason, it doesn't work for me though, guess I'll have to find a way to get rid of the intro :(

*adds to list of bugs*
Haave you also tried: esc, enter, & space bar?

I'll post my GNP question here....

I'm getting pounded in GNP in my games. What am I doing wrong? My total has been less than half of the average of the other civs! Horrible.

Taronas said:
hi, three questions here (the most pressing currently:

10. Can I somehow from the City List screen (F1) jump to a specific city in the list to manage it or change production directly? Clicking anywhere in the table seems to do nothing and hitting "Return" just ends the turn even if this screen is up :(

I double-clicked on a city, and it's production queue appeared at the bottom of the screen. Have you tried that?

26 - Can there be more than one religion in a city? If so, where is the information/ratios about the different religion present ?

27 - What are the different ways to convert a city from one religion to another?

28 - I send missionaries into cities with a religion already present, and they always fail, why? How is the success/failure ratio calculated?

DarthCycle said:
26 - Can there be more than one religion in a city? If so, where is the information/ratios about the different religion present ?

27 - What are the different ways to convert a city from one religion to another?

28 - I send missionaries into cities with a religion already present, and they always fail, why? How is the success/failure ratio calculated?

26) Yes, you can get more than 1 religion in a city. I was trying for all seven religions in all of my cities (for the Free Religion civic). I don't know where the ratios are on a city basis, but the Convert advisor (F7, I believe?) tells you on a worldly basis.

27) I don't think you can convert a city. You can only add to the religions.

28) One of the religious civics prevents non-state religions from being spread. That could be the problem. However, I was running on Free Religion, and was having failed attempts to spread my religion(s) around.

29) Where can you see the buildings your city currently has? I know you can zoom into a city and have to guess what each building is, but is there a list somewhere on the city screen that I've missed?
30) How can you destroy buildings? For instance, when I change my religion I want to get rid of temples and monasteries of old religions in order to convert quicker. How can I do that?

Crap, forgot to number mine, like going to a deli....

31) I'm getting pounded in GNP in my games. What am I doing wrong? My total has been less than half of the average of the other civs! Horrible.

:D

BlackMonsterUK said:
29) Where can you see the buildings your city currently has? I know you can zoom into a city and have to guess what each building is, but is there a list somewhere on the city screen that I've missed?
30) How can you destroy buildings? For instance, when I change my religion I want to get rid of temples and monasteries of old religions in order to convert quicker. How can I do that?

29 on the right of the city screen is a list of the buildings

30..don't know if you can destroy them, (since they don't cost maintenance any more) but you don't need to, you will never get rid of a religion in a city. And I don't think religious buildings in a city discourage another religion from coming in (not sure though)

Krikkitone said:
What are the formulas for

13. City Maintenance
14. Civics Upkeep
15. Inflation

16. Is there some effect of empire size/city number in either a) beaker output or b) tech costs [if so what is it?]

17. How are the value of trade routes determined

18. Formula/mechanism for generating war weariness?
19. Formula/mechanism for passive religion spread?

bump these questions (only 17 has been answered to my knowledge)

good ones Krikkitone

also,

32. Are people finding the worker automation adequate? A few times it has seemed like there could be more useful improvements and sometimes later in the game my workers are just sitting in a city when they could be improving others.

and

33. how do you turn on window mode?

Oh, and one more:

34. I am a little confused about which wonders are for everyone and which can only be built once in the world. It seems like they all say "only 1 left" or something like that. Is there somewhere I can look for this info?

Top Bottom