Renderer Error

just resumed civ v after this error drove me away. My drivers are all up to date I've changed the graphics card settings to favor performance and I now have a cooling pad and canned air to hopefully prevent overheating. Is there anything else I can try? Last night I was able to play for a few hours before the render error showed it's ugly head again but its very annoying to have to back out like that.

Finally found a fix that works for me. In the Civ V Video Options menu disable GPU Texture Decode. I've played several times using DX11 with all options on High and the frequent crashes associated with leader animations have entirely disappeared.

This worked for me too. 3 hours in and no crash.

Hi, Im playing a normal game, Rome, earth map, epic speed, settler lvl, with 11 other civs. Anyway While Im playing I suddenly get this error message... every time on the same turn when player 5 is active.
FGXRender11::present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DECVICE_REMOVED, Driver Failure

I have had this problem under the entire game, showing up on random. Until now. Now reading some of the posts on the Forum. I think it started as I deleted my Mod folder. (I couldnt even start the game until the folder was deleted) I think my game had some issues with some mods I was using but never mind that. Can you guys help me with this?

Moderator Action: Merging this post with the main thread on the subject. Hope you can find some useful advice there.

Alright, something's fishy over here and i've had enough of that weird stuff. :cry:

In the last few days (maybe two or three weeks ago), i've been experiencing numerous crashes when leaving the game from the "Close Menu".
Between 75&90% of the time... as soon as i click on *Exit to Windows*, the cursor changes to the Win_Arrow-Pointer --but-- only within a specific area inside that Menu Grid.
The only way to actually leave the game is to Three-Finger-Salute my way out to get to the Task-Manager and stop the running instance of Civ5. The usual box (program has stopped responding) is on the desktop which i also need to click away.

There's nothing special about my game options, settings and running Mods; it could be EUI or ReallyAdvancedSetUp (since they both provide alternate LoadScreens-LUA+XML files), just dunno what causes those crashes exactly.

I've inserted the MDMP file below to help with a sturdy diagnostic that would result in a definitive solution to this extremely annoying flaw.

Please, help -- this simply ruins my gaming hours beyond reasons!! :(

Attachments

• civilizationv_dx11_395131_crash_2014_8_2T2_24_11C0.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 218
Ah-- Com'on... there's got to be someone, anyone at Firaxis that can actually help me with this.
Dennis? Anybody else? A kind enough coder that would inspect that MDMP?

All are too busy working on Beyond-Earth, or what. I really **might** buy this new title of yours - but you've got to throw me a bone here.

I need *A* fix for that (very specifc) weird flaw, asap.

Hurry!

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem.

Have you tried verifying your game cache (Steam --> Library --> Right-click Sid Meier's Civilization 5 --> Properties --> Local Files --> Verify Integrity of Game Cache)? If any files are downloaded as a result of this verification, repeat until no files are downloaded. If you already tried that (or it didn't help), you could uninstall/reinstall the entire game. An even more radical procedure would be to uninstall/reinstall Steam (you'd then have to redownload all your Steam games).

We don't see the Firaxis/2K developers anymore in this forum, probably for the reasons you gave. There's also a strong possibility that the problem is caused by one or more of the mods you're running. Do you also crash if you play an unmodded game?

Verifying the game cache was one of the first things i've tried... No luck.
I've also cleared the Database(s) folder (many times over!) and restarted with a freshly rebuilt set... No Luck.

Re-Installing Civ5 or even Steam is a drastic measure i'm not willing to take for a number of reasons;

1) I can cope with the silly flaw - at times. Sometimes if i just "Exit to Menu", the game won't crash. Much less than the "Exit to Windows" option.

2) Some Mods might be guilty as charged, AFAIC. I did the whole tricky One-By-One verifications and narrowed the problem to maybe just two; Really-Advanced-Setup or EUI. But it's absolutely impossible to prove without inspecting the MDMP file... 98% sure there's a clear trace in it that could lead to a definitive solution. Memory, stacks, a process which can't reset my Win7HP(64b) to the desktop properly... unless i see a clue in some LOG, i simply can't fix it.

3) The game *must* still be supported by Firaxis. Imagine that -- $125+ handed over in numerous DLC and Expansions over time. We, gamers, deserve better than total silence from that developper.

Invalid License Data warnings from VB2010-Shell is even worst. This *IS* supposed to be able to read the MDMP. The giant M$ won't care either about the tragic flaw, has been going on & on for years.

There's nothing wrong with the PC too.

If Civ5 refuses to perform as it should - whatever the cause may be - the only way for me to enjoy this game again is to find the RIGHT answer. It is certainly annoying to suffer through such a mystery.

Find me a MDMP reader or let anyone at Firaxis deal with my stuff... otherwise, i'll re-think my decision to purchase Beyond-Earth, or more.

Ya know i might just have found something strange about this issue...

Activated the Asserts-Log process and it gave me a DX11 failure warning;

[64794.172] DBG: FGXRenderer11::present failed hr=DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Driver failure

THAT could very well be the actual cause. Fixing it is whole new ball game though. But -- i'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Contradict me someone or else, i'll assume the worst about some Driver flaw for the DXGI stack.

OK, the renderer error is a known problem. I haven't read that thread for a while now, but it might contain some helpful information.

Lonnnnngggg thread... but there's key info about drivers, video-card (might the case -indeed) faulty, threaded submission config to D3D, etc.

I'll read the whole thing - just in case.
Thanks Petek!

PS; okay...

Here's what i tried from reading hints splattered all over the thread above.

1) Config.ini editing:
**; Set to 1 to enable threaded submission to D3D11
Threaded Submission = 0
--- It was 1.

2) Reduced from 8 to 4X MSAA anti-aliasing in settings-game options. Strangely the "Decode to GPU" option is shadowed on my PC, maybe the NVidia GTX-550Ti (overclocked by design) doesn't allow this.

3) The NVidia configuration had a Desktop-Rescaling option set to GPU processing instead of on Monitor-Display. Changed that too.

So... i've reloaded a few oldish saves that consistantly crashed with the "Exit-To-Windows" sticky cursor flaw.
And - none has redone the same weird crashes as before.
Let's hope the problem has been solved for good.

If all fails again, i'll have to search for something else.

;)

Hope those fixes hold up! I'll merge this thread with the main renderer error thread, just to keep everything in one place.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

Petek...

:sarcasm: -- duh. The horrific flaw has returned exactly like it was!

Just about ready to give up on this unless someone can fix it - for real.

(Can the initial thread posts be transferred back into Bug Reports since it seems like a different issue than what you've sent it with??)

Your problem is slightly different than the other renderer errors: Everyone else gets a popup error message during game play. Your games crash when exiting and generate an entry in a log file. I wonder if that's significant? Have you tried some of the other possible solutions, such as (if possible) increasing the video card's fan speed or changing its power settings? Please post your DxDiag file, since that might contain some useful information.

Regarding your request to move some of your posts back to the Bug Reports forum: I can do this if you really want, but I think it's better to keep everything in one forum. It makes the problem easier to understand.

You might be right about Video-Card settings or fan speed... i hadn't opened up the PC-TowerCase yet. But i certainly will have a peek inside to find dusty clugs. These are usually symptomatic beforehand though.

I've just looked up into the DXDiag report and as expected, nothing there that could explain why the flaw occurs. Everything seems in good order while i have any most recent drivers for both the NVidia GTX-550Ti and supplemental Video related assets.

I'll let you know if some "In-House" dust cleaning could resolve the issue.

Cleaned up... (Just a bit dusty, btw)
Reboot... (Took awhile, Win certainly has a reputation for having slight difficulties with Video-Cards detection upon system modifications.)
Speed Fan... (From around 1400RPM to 2250, only)

**STILL** crashing on Exit to Windows.

I -- Give -- Up! :(

I have the same video card with the same problems. I also have pretty much given up which is pretty sad as I have played Civ since civ 2 days. I am hoping its a bug that will be fixed.

Hi Knobby,

Try this: From Main Menu, select Options, then Video Options. Uncheck the GPU Texture Decode option. You may have to play for several hours before concluding that this suggestion worked.

Please post again if this didn't help (and include a copy of your DxDiag file). You can find information about the DxDiag file here. Also. please let us know if the above suggestion fixes the problem for you. Thanks!

Top Bottom