[MODULE] Reformed Liches

I've had your mod installed for a while and just now got in a position to use liches. While they feel right in a general sense, I was playing as D'tesh, and they seem like a step down from the Council of Four units. Sure the phylactery guards are massively powerful as a D'tesh player is loaded to the gills with Death mana at that point, but they're immobile. The lich itself, while having great summons of its own needs a Chosen or something to protect it. Maybe you could make your lich get the (RiFE 1.3) D'tesh affinity?

Or, as I don't know what changes you made codewise to make the lich unit a summons, maybe I should be asking Valk to let liches get that promo?

Or maybe Council of Four shouldn't be allowed to become liches, logically speaking? I don't know but this is a neat mod, and it seems to me the civ based on undeath ought to be able to make use of it.

Absolutely all units owned by the D'tesh receive that affinity, so they will be getting it in 1.3.

He'll still have to do something for 1.3, won't he? Because his liches are summons? I wouldn't think wraiths and such (djinn?!?) should get it.

I've had your mod installed for a while and just now got in a position to use liches. While they feel right in a general sense, I was playing as D'tesh, and they seem like a step down from the Council of Four units. Sure the phylactery guards are massively powerful as a D'tesh player is loaded to the gills with Death mana at that point, but they're immobile. The lich itself, while having great summons of its own needs a Chosen or something to protect it. Maybe you could make your lich get the (RiFE 1.3) D'tesh affinity?

My opinion is that the Lich summon is completely disposable. I mean, it is already an upgraded version of immortal, and with a well promoted Phylactery you get two for one. And it is already an extra four of a limited unit. Giving them an affinity on top of that seems excessive.

On the other hand, if all D'Tesh units get affinity you may have a point...

On the gripping hand, I tried making Liches more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. They're immobile, gain experience slower and have a bad city buff. It's not surprising that they seems less than immortal, affinity powered Archmages. But it's four extra archmages with an option for 12...

Or maybe Council of Four shouldn't be allowed to become liches, logically speaking? I don't know but this is a neat mod, and it seems to me the civ based on undeath ought to be able to make use of it.

Lorewise, I don't think D'Tesh really would allow his mages to become Liches, at least not envisaged as in this mod. I'm not inclined to block them on such flimsy grounds though.

Absolutely all units owned by the D'tesh receive that affinity, so they will be getting it in 1.3.

Even UNITCOMBAT_NONE units? In that case, I won't have to do anything.

Come to think of it, the Liches copies all promotions of the Phylactery (with a few explicit exceptions) so it should be good.

So I'm guessing that this doesn't work with the Grigori Adventurer Arch Mages?

-Moosh

In fact making hero mages into liches is the best idea - the lich summons also have the hero promotion and a portion of the free hero XP they gain is passed to the phylactery guard when the lich summon dies... or is sacrificed. Omnipotence has never been so easy :)

Well... perhaps I'm missing something, because I have a Grigori Adventurer who's an arch mage but I have no option to turn him into a Lich. Perhaps I'm missing something?

-Moosh

It is not the hero promotion but the world limit on the unitclass that prevents Lichdom, at least in normal FfH.

Yes, and I think the Lich limit is three, not four as for most other national units.

(And obviously you need Death III, and no amurite worldspell and in this mod be in a city and have no other Phylaceties there and possibly some other stuff I forgot about.)

Code:
def reqLichdom(caster):
	if caster.getUnitClassType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_FLESH_GOLEM'):
		return False
	if caster.isHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_PUPPET')):
		return False
	if isWorldUnitClass(caster.getUnitClassType()):
		return False
	pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(caster.getOwner())
	if pPlayer.getUnitClassCount(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_LICH')) >= 4:
		return False
	return True

No, you may have 4 Liches as well, unless this modmod changed that.

A clarification on the lich limit, please. Odalrick, is the limit four liches or four phylactery guards? I was looking around the promotions list and found an indication that a phylactery guard could materialize two liches (so I ought to be able to field 8) under the right circumstances.

Also, the guards seem to wake up when the current lich is destroyed (in my case disbanded after a war to cycle the xp back), is that something you did? If so is there anyway you could wake them up if a)they go up a level or b)there's enough xp on their lich(es) to level them (as it seems to me you'd want to get the new promos as quickly as possible if the liches aren't in the middle of something).

A clarification on the lich limit, please. Odalrick, is the limit four liches or four phylactery guards? I was looking around the promotions list and found an indication that a phylactery guard could materialize two liches (so I ought to be able to field 8) under the right circumstances.

The limit is on the Phylactery Guards.

It's a long word to write so I tend to write Phylactery or Lich and hope people understand what I mean. ;) And sometimes when I write Lich I mean the whole set: Phylactery Guard, right Lich and left Lich together. Also, the last posts have been talking about Liches in general. (And technically, the Phylactery Guard is the common Lich unit, UNIT_LICH.)

Also, the guards seem to wake up when the current lich is destroyed (in my case disbanded after a war to cycle the xp back), is that something you did? If so is there anyway you could wake them up if a)they go up a level or b)there's enough xp on their lich(es) to level them (as it seems to me you'd want to get the new promos as quickly as possible if the liches aren't in the middle of something).

Yes, it's something I did; and no, I can't think of a way to do what you ask.

It seems unlikely that the Phylactery gains enough experience to gain a level on it's own. I suppose a new Hero that started focused on Death and turned Lich might still have a way to got to 100xp before levelling up grinds to a halt.

When considering disbanding the summoned Lich, just look at how much experience it has. If it has a lot and isn't doing anything important, just disband it. And if it is important then presumably it already has the promotions it needs to do those things anyway.

When you get Twinsoul the Phylactery Guard is permanently "awake" anyway so there is no need to wake them up.

(Twinsoul is basically an upgraded version of Twincast, available only to Phylacteries. It automatically replaces Twincast both when becoming a Phylactery and levelling up.)

Top Bottom