SCENARIO: American Civil War Full-Release Version

Did you enjoy playing this scenario?

• Yes, this is one of the best ever, please send it to Firaxis.

Votes: 62 39.5%
  • Yes, this scenario is well-made.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Yes, but improvements could be made.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I cannot vote at this time.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • No, I didn't really like it.

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
Yes, there are several "what if" concerning The Civil War.

Assume Union had lost Washington D.C. and Baltimore
April 1862:

Great chance Union sueing for peace.

Ahhhh, Procifica, I have just one problem with your scenario, and it is a big one. While playing v2.10, on the 4th turn or so, I have invisible units attacking me! Three of them destroyed my weakened 2nd Div Army of Missouri! Afterwards, I had my artillery battery there, so I checked and discovered that there were NO UNITS for two squares around! That's impossible! So basically, I have invisible units marauding around the countryside with at least three movement each, neither of which is supposed to happen.

Aargh! My game crashes when trying to load 2.10. My computer dislikes me.

Noldodan, must be the Confederate Irregulars attacking. :)

I can tell you that there is one Confederate Irregular at almost every Confederate town in Missouri, all of Conscript strength (their A/D is 6/5, their movement is 1, like a normal unit, and they have -1 HP). The town of Carthage has 4 Confederate Irregulars, 3 of which are Veterans, and 1 is Regular. Confederate Irregulars are "invisible", as are Raiders, Union Riders, and Confederate Guerillas. Conscript has 3 HP, Regular has 4 HP, and Veteran has 6 HP normally.

Home Guards, Garrisons, and cavalry units (except Raider and Union Rider) can detect Invisible units. I suppose I probably should at least put a small Union Cavalry brigade in Missouri somewhere.

2nd Division, Army of Missouri is in Springfield, Missouri, with 3 brigades, which rounds out to 10 HP worth of units for a total of 5,000 men. This is about what Brigadier General Lyons had in June of 1861. The Confederate forces at Carthage, Missouri have 1 brigade of regular troops (McCulloch's brigade, about 2,000 men), 1 brigade of cavalry (I forget the cavalry commander's name, about 2,000 men), and 4 brigades of Confederate Irregulars (Price's Missouri Irregulars, which total about 9,000 men). This is a total force of 13,000 men, under the technical command of Price but actually excercised by McCulloch.

In actual history, Lyons's command was nearly destroyed not far from Springfield, and the remains of his army retreated to Rolla (which by that point was Union occupied). So, what happened to you isn't really far off from what should happen. :)

I did find one bug though, which has been promptly fixed and a new version will be uploaded fixing it. Home Guard (small) wasn't flagged to detect invisible. The Home Guard in Springfield though is a regular Home Guard and wasn't affected by this bug.

I'm also adding a Conscript Union Cavalry to Brigadier General Pope's command near Quincy, so they can detect the Confederate Irregulars in northern Missouri. As far as I know there wasn't really any Union Cavalry in southern Missouri at this time, so without information proving otherwise, I can't add any down there. :)

I also have added a Conscript Cavalry unit to St. Louis. And, I've removed one brigade from Fayetteville, Arkansas (which should have been removed, this was an error).

This version will be promptly uploaded, since it fixes a bug. :)

Originally posted by anonymous4401
Aargh! My game crashes when trying to load 2.10. My computer dislikes me.

At what point in the loading does it crash? Are you trying to load a saved game from Version 2.00PRE? No saved games from previous versions will work with Version 2.10PRE.

Concerning what if:

Have you any thoughts of what chance( in %) CSA
should have to win the scenario?

I think 25%-30% would be right.

I named the file differently than the others for some reason, so my simple changing of the number from 2.10 to 2.11 didn't work.

The download should work properly now.

Yeah, I'd say the odds of a typical player winning with the CSA should be roughly 25 to 33%. A skilled player should be able to win at least 40 to 50% of the time.

As for the Union, a typical player should be able to win at least 67% of the time.

This is what I'm hoping the scenario establishes anyways.

I hope more people will vote in the poll, rate the thread, and POST their opinions about the scenario, especially if it is really positive or really negative.

I realize that it's outside what you want to do with this scenario, but a major motivation for the Confederates, and what they saw as their primary way to gain independence was to convince European powers, particularly France and Britain to recognize the Confederacy. Primarily this would make the Union blockade illegal in the eyes of the world, and it would lead to the possibility of military intervention by either of those powers. Now they knew that just like in the revolution, they'd have to win an astounding victory against the Union to get recognized as a country. But that whole thing's kind of against the more tactical ambiance of this scenario, so I understand its ommision

That being said, I have no problem with that percentage, Roco. It might even have been slightly higher at the outset, but as the Union mobilized, the South's chances got less and less

Well, jamesjkirk, that's sort of the idea behind the shorter games which I'm going to put up for PTW in the next couple days. Once the Confederates conquer say Washington DC, Cincinnati, and St. Louis (in the real short game), the Europeans recognize the Confederacy and the Civil War is over.

I upped Rocoteh's %'s a slight bit for the Confederacy. :) If it was Human vs. Human, then the odds of the Confederacy winning would decrease over time, but since its against a VERY VERY stupid AI, the odds probably would increase over time if the human player plays very well.

I really would like to know who is purposefully lowering the ratings of this thread and giving the scenario negative feedback in the poll. It is obvious that someone is using multiple log-in names to give this scenario a bad reputation.

I encourage everyone not to judge the scenario anymore by Polls or thread ratings. These are no longer accurate of real users opinions. Please judge the scenario on its own merits.

Moderators, can you please delete the Poll? I don't want it up if someone who is immature and has no concept of the rules is going to abuse it, and nothing be done about it.

2 very low votes on ACW in 2 minutes.

It seems like the "brave" sniper is back again.

To those who really likes ACW:

Please vote!!!

I agree, Procifica.
Its best to remove the poll.

This ONE person (yes its only one coward) will
continue with his sabotage.

I wouldn't mind if the thread rating could be removed as well...but I don't know if that can be done or not.

I don't mind negative feedback, but I'm not happy when someone deliberately and repeatedly gives a negative response in a NON-VERBAL manner. This isn't exactly the most popular time of day/night for people to be online, so I doubt 2 random people would give the scenario explicitly bad ratings, and do so for the other ACW thread (which is dormant) as well.

I hope Moderators can explain if there is a way
to stop this kind of sabotage.

Can you stop rating for this thread? If not sabotage
will continue.

How are the graphics add-ons coming along? I plan on downloading this scenario as soon as I get to the computer with Civ3 as it sounds really cool. Only thing that would make it better, so far as it sounds, would be graphics. I seen something that said that they'd be up within the week but that was like 10 days ago.

Thanks!

Well, when I made that statement, I was unemployed, and now I have 2 jobs...so my time for the scenario isn't what it used to be. I'm fortunate to have today and most of tomorrow off to get some of the unit graphics up. Right now, I'm using the regular Civ3 graphics for all units. The unit graphic optional downloads will only be for certain units, as 1) not all have been made yet, and 2) I don't know how to make them or have the time so I have to rely on others.

Alright, the following units will have custom graphics available for optional download as soon as I modify their .INI's to be compatible with this scenario:

Union Cavalry
Confederate Cavalry
Raider

Union Adv. Cavalry
Confederate Adv. Cavalry

Confederate Irregular
Confederate Guerilla

Transport

Union Rifleman
Confederate Rifleman
Enfield Rifleman
Springfield Rifleman

Horse Artillery

Native American Warrior

Union Ironclad Warship
Conf. Ironclad Warship

Confederate Ironclad
Confederate Ram

This is a total of 9 custom graphic sets, some are being used for more than one unit.

I think the new "sudden death" rules will improve ACW.

I am going to the wilderness for a week now, and will thus
not be in the forums for a while.

I am really looking forward to see feedback,reflections
and thoughts when I am back.

Rocoteh

I'm hoping these unit graphics will add more flavor and realism to those who desire it. 18 total unit custom graphics. Some units aren't going to require custom graphics, as good ones already are in Civ3, but others still will need them in the future.

Top Bottom