The Civilization Franchise- dead?

I know this is probably the wrong forum to post it in, but does anyone else think this is the end of Civilization? I mean, Civ V was a disaster, and they haven't released any expansions or made a real effort to fix it. They might try releasing a better game later on, but is that really likely? If Civ V sells well, they'll just release another game like it, but if it doesn't, they may end the franchise entirely. I'm not sure what to think right now.

What are you talking about? Civ V is still one of the most played games on Steam.

What are you talking about? Civ V is still one of the most played games on Steam.

Steam is the biggest rip off ever,,,,you pay somone to hold your copy of the "game" online...

okay what if you can't connect to internet(after moving to a new home) the internet is down( bill arrived late) or what if theres an overload(too many people on Steam)????

I'm just old fashioned,but I love the fact I have the power in the disc....

Steam is the biggest rip off ever,,,,you pay somone to hold your copy of the "game" online...

okay what if you can't connect to internet(after moving to a new home) the internet is down( bill arrived late) or what if theres an overload(too many people on Steam)????

You don't have to be online to play it you know. And you'd have to have had internet connection at some point of time in order to purchase it in the first place, so you could simply download it then. Logic fail.

I often play my Steam games offline.

Old thread is old :p I think that thread sums pretty well the feelings of atleast half of the civ community at the time ...

Well, the future of TBS is definitely on the hands of gamedesigners that know how to mod ( like Soren did ). We already had a ex-modder with a cool "Let's make a hybrid between Ol'civ and PG" idea designing a civ game and we got Civ V :D

On the Civ franchise ... well, CivWorld is definitely not a TBS in any sense of the term, Civ V is a step back in terms of AI understanding of the game it is playing ( really, even civ III AI understands it's game better and we're talking of a AI that allowed kill zones ) besides some ( sometimes not so ) subtle issues introduced by the square->hex conversion and CivRev is quite shallow for a TBS. So, the short term prospect is not famous :p

Won't Kael and his gang be somewhere at the top of the modders list?

And you'd have to have had internet connection at some point of time in order to purchase it in the first place, so you could simply download it then. Logic fail.

Logic fail. You ever heard about the concept of something called 'local retailer' aka. 'shop'? You just walk in, grab your packaged disk, leave your cash and then go home and play? ;)
Believe me, it's a great and rather simple technologie which has been refined and working perfectly centuries before anyone ever knew about the internet...

I don't care if they release another one, I care if it is fun and requires strategy like Civ 4.

Civ will continue until Civ 104, at which point they will realize that they've reached the true essence of CIV and let it go out with a bang.

But in reality, given the trends in gaming today it's more likely that we'll see some action game called "Civiliz6tion: Mao's Revenge" than for that ever to happen.

Does anyone have the actual sales figures for Civ IV vs. Civ V? That'll probably play a bigger role in what direction Firaxis goes next than anything else.

Logic fail. You ever heard about the concept of something called 'local retailer' aka. 'shop'? You just walk in, grab your packaged disk, leave your cash and then go home and play? ;)
Believe me, it's a great and rather simple technologie which has been refined and working perfectly centuries before anyone ever knew about the internet...

Yeah and I can really see how that's relevant when talking about steam. Truly this revelation has opened my eyes to the fact that you don't have to purchase a game on steam by connecting to steam.

Yeah and I can really see how that's relevant when talking about steam.

:rolleyes:
You DID notice the word 'disc' in the other guy's statement, didn't you??? It is actually the last word you quoted...
So the guy was rather obvioulsy comparing Steam (where "you'd have to have had internet connection at some point of time in order to purchase it") with a disc (where you DON'T). And I guess that was THE point...

Yeah and I can really see how that's relevant when talking about steam. Truly this revelation has opened my eyes to the fact that you don't have to purchase a game on steam by connecting to steam.

Seems like a valid point to me. Many games that can be purchased at local retailers nowadays require you to activate them on Steam to play, which contradicts your point that "you'd have to have had an internet connection at some point of time in order to purchase it in the first place" - the post that gps was responding to in the first place. I do agree with you that it's not nearly as bad as King Kalmah made it out to be, though, since you only need to go online once to play your copy of the game (unlike some other recent forms of DRM which require a constant connection).

Seems like a valid point to me. Many games that can be purchased at local retailers nowadays require you to activate them on Steam to play

This "point" is entirely your own invention - King Kalmah said nothing regarding it. In fact it would go against his earlier claim (that purchasing via retail is superior to steam) since, as you said, many retail games require internet connection anyways.

So the guy was rather obvioulsy comparing Steam (where "you'd have to have had internet connection at some point of time in order to purchase it") with a disc (where you DON'T). And I guess that was THE point...

No. He said that steam is a rip-off because it requires that the user be online. I responded by informing him that steam games can be played while offline and that they only require you to be online once - during installation. Purchasing a steam game in the first place requires internet connection, so it's impossible to be ripped off in the way he claims.

Purchasing a steam game in the first place requires internet connection, so it's impossible to be ripped off in the way he claims.

Really don't wanna be nitpicking here, that's what he said:

You pay somebody money so he withholds your copy of the game and punishes you with stupid DRM BS instead. You can't play your purchased game whenever YOU want, but whenever some server on the other side of the world allows you to. Basically. You can talk yourself into how great this is and what advantages this brings and put some candy on top of it. But in the end it's still another ridiculous copy protection scheme satisfying some distributor paranoia while punishing the honest customer. If the DRM server is down for whatever reason in two or five years time and you changed your hardware until then or whatever => no more gaming for you. In your eyes this might be a great distribution concept. In the eyes of others (me included) it's a rip off and it's a trap I won't go into. I've accepted a lot of ridiculous copy protection schemes in my 25 years of computer gaming. I won't accept online DRM in any form. If that means I can't buy any computer games any more so be it. There are other ways to spend my limited spare time...
Which btw. brings us back to topic. I followed Civ through all incarnations starting with Civ for MS-Dos, but if the company won't change it's policies, I'll stay with Civ IV...

Won't Kael and his gang be somewhere at the top of the modders list?
Well, Kael is a quite sui generis modder ... his FfH was actually more solid standalone option than the half-baked attempt of a Colonization remake on top of Civ IV engine Firaxis sold some yers ago. In a certain way he already was a game designer when he was a modder :p

Anyway, in spite of the respect I have for his modding work, I can't say if he will be able to cope with making a game from scratch because he didn't had that chance yet ( so far his only work after FfH was to try to fix that Elemental mess, IIRC ), but I have a little more faith than the one Civ V lead designer deserved ... Note that this is not a ex post factum bashing, just a comparison between FfH II ( Kael BtS mod ) and FF ( Jon BtS mod ) ;) Kael mod has a solid idea and execution behind, while Jon's one has a cool idea behind with some serious defects in implementation ....

You pay somebody money so he withholds your copy of the game and punishes you with stupid DRM BS instead. You can't play your purchased game whenever YOU want, but whenever some server on the other side of the world allows you to. Basically. You can talk yourself into how great this is and what advantages this brings and put some candy on top of it. But in the end it's still another ridiculous copy protection scheme satisfying some distributor paranoia while punishing the honest customer. If the DRM server is down for whatever reason in two or five years time and you changed your hardware until then or whatever => no more gaming for you. In your eyes this might be a great distribution concept. In the eyes of others (me included) it's a rip off and it's a trap I won't go into. I've accepted a lot of ridiculous copy protection schemes in my 25 years of computer gaming. I won't accept online DRM in any form. If that means I can't buy any computer games any more so be it. There are other ways to spend my limited spare time...
Which btw. brings us back to topic. I followed Civ through all incarnations starting with Civ for MS-Dos, but if the company won't change it's policies, I'll stay with Civ IV...

You're wrong. You can play single player steam games whenever you want as long as they're installed on your system.

Hey guys, if the "Legends of Zelda" series can make a comeback after Zelda 2, then Civ can as well. :)

You're wrong.

Yeah whatever. You can't seriously tell us, that you can evade online check and re-registration forever. There are situations (especially if you intend to actually use internet sometimes) where the online check is repeated and if the server has gone dead by then, all the money spent on your games will be lost. Believing in anything else than that is beyond naive...

Top Bottom