The King should do something...anything

thehouse1

Chieftain
I'm very annoyed how linear all the relationships are in the game. I was hoping that Col 2 would allow a more interactive complex relationship with the king. Sadly the opposite happened.

1. REF is directly connected to liberty bells.

2. The relationship to the king is directly connect to you paying him.

3. There is only one benifit in paying the king; 1/2 price troops.

4. Tax increases are directly related to number of goods should in Europe.

Here are some examples on how to make the relationship with the king more interesting

1. Every colony could automatically have a bonus independance rate equal to 1/3 of the current tax rate.

2. A happy king could slow REF growth rate and/or the growth of tax rate.

3. A very happy king might be willing to forgive a boycott.

4. The king could offer you something gold/ships/troops to start a war.

5. The king could encourage the development of new markets by eliminating the tax on a good for 30 turns.

6. The King should have relationships with other European leaders. If your king is at peace with France and you attack New France you take a hit in your relationship with the king. IF they are at war you get a bonus.

...etc. My point is the game would be dramatically better if the King did anything.

7. If you get your relationship high enough and maintain it for that level for 50+ years, he grants you a voice in Parlament, winning you a Loyalty Victory.

I would be very happy if the treasure galleons really showed up :p

Another thing that I would like is to interact with the other kings, to circumvent boycotts or to try to gamble in diferent markets ( or to get military help of more or less oficial kind , like "volunteers" :p )

I agree with the #7 idea, but to make it harder to do, I would recommend having the king demand the 50% cut of ever treasure wagon you collect in order to stay in his good graces. On the other hand, he very frequently asks me for >75% of my gold reserve so I guess it's already pretty challenging to stay on his good side!

I agree with the #7 idea, but to make it harder to do, I would recommend having the king demand the 50% cut of ever treasure wagon you collect in order to stay in his good graces. On the other hand, he very frequently asks me for >75% of my gold reserve so I guess it's already pretty challenging to stay on his good side!
75% of 10,000 is 7,500.
75% of 100 is 75.

All you have to do to keep good relations with the king is to know how frequently his requests come and make sure you have a low amount of gold.

However, the point the OP is making is that the King is a useless foil in the game since a smart player will deny a payment of even 10 gold to the King with no real consequence. Good relations with the King aren't worth the micromanagement effort they entail.

3. There is only one benifit in paying the king; 1/2 price troops.

Not to mention that this is penalty in disguise. Every unit bough from king increases threshold for getting REF.

In short, if you buy solider for 750gp, he'll increase REF by amount equal to producing 750 liberty bells.

I agree, your relations to your King should lead to some noticeable effects in gameplay.

Maybe it would be an good addition if you could trade or talk to the other european kings as well (in Europe only?). But first this game need built in more flavour again.

I like the idea of the idea of a "Representation with taxation" victory. Being able to gift him your Map, Goods, Treasure, Units and Gold could provide some additional diplomatic leverage. Supporting him in foreign wars might be another option.

If they expand the victory conditions, being able to win in a "Canada" Scenario would be nice - stay on the King's good side, build up your colony to a "self-sufficient" level, build up your rebel sentiment high enough, and then negociate yourself into your own "dominion." Maybe to make it more challenging, you could even be forced to play the next 50 turns, where you have to agree to their every whim. You could even add a case like if you were England, "England declares war on France. Citizens no longer demand luxuries (ie. temporary boycott on cigars, coats, etc...). Do your part and donate 500 muskets, 200 horses, and 300 food to the cause of war within 10 turns." If you can't fulfill these demands, then you either lose or just have a lower score.

*edit: thinking about it, it would be neat to have situations like that in the normal game as well. Maybe during the normal game, if you succeed, then the first 20 turns after the "war" all cargoes jump in price, or taxes are reduced, or maybe even the king donating to you a pack of veteran soldiers. If you don't fulfill their demands, then your taxes double.

Not to mention that this is penalty in disguise. Every unit bough from king increases threshold for getting REF.

In short, if you buy solider for 750gp, he'll increase REF by amount equal to producing 750 liberty bells.

The difference is that you get Veteran Soldiers, which are so much better than those death-prone militias.

I'm very annoyed how linear all the relationships are in the game. I was hoping that Col 2 would allow a more interactive complex relationship with the king. Sadly the opposite happened.
on how to make the relationship with the king more interesting

3. A very happy king might be willing to forgive a boycott.

Or you could 'slip him a bribe' as you could in the original game. :)

Top Bottom