R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

I dont understand.

I downloaded 2 files. Created 2 folders on MODs folder (RED Data files and RED WWII Edition v7). Extratect each file onto each folder. Started civ 5 and installed mods. Turned on just data files and edition. Games starts rigth, but my production is empty.

I missing something in this extraction files.

Don't install the files in Civ 5. After you place the mods in the mod folder, extract them using WinRAR or 7zip.

Sorry about the double post but I just encountered a major glitch in my game as Britain. Around the start of the game I conquered Ireland, Iceland, and Libya to give myself more production and what not. Around turn 30 (not entirely sure, but may have been the perma alliance with France), all of the territory in Ireland and Iceland reverted back to it's original owner, just like with the fall of France bug.

Sorry about the double post but I just encountered a major glitch in my game as Britain. Around the start of the game I conquered Ireland, Iceland, and Libya to give myself more production and what not. Around turn 30 (not entirely sure, but may have been the perma alliance with France), all of the territory in Ireland and Iceland reverted back to it's original owner, just like with the fall of France bug.

do you have a savegame from just before the reversing perchance ?

Do you know if Paris was captured by Germany or Italy at the same time ?

I don't know when, but you can play it once when you used country annex another city states before auto declare war,
then the declare war events happened, the territory reverted back to it's original owner and your units can't enter it :confused:

I know for a fact that Paris wasn't captured because I had line of sight on it the entire time and I was also defending France quite well.

Another bug I found was when I declared war on Spain and Portugal (I know I'm a dirty Britain), the game would automatically put me back at peace with them a few turns later. This lead to me declaring war enough times that the city states came close to banding together against me, which I kind of don't want to happen... Wait a sec... Maybe I do want it to happen...

One thing I noticed about the AI is that even on Deity the build times for most of their cities are extremely long. This basically leads to the AI not having much more than their starting army and making the winner the person who can use the starting army the best (obviously the human). City states also rarely build units because of this.

I have my autosave on every turn so I'll go look for a save before the bug.

Edit: I can confirm that the bug happened after I ended my 30th turn and went into my 31st. I have uploaded the autosave from turn 29 (so you can end turn and get the bug) and the autosave from turn 30 (so the bug happens as soon as you load the save)

Attachments

• AutoSave_0029 AD-1941-June.Civ5Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • AutoSave_0030 AD-1941-July.Civ5Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
I don't know about the AI not producing units, in my current game as UK (turn 65, deity), Germany is definately producing units and they are producing a lot more units than me, got to admit playing as the allies is far more difficult than playing as the axis

Perhaps it's because that late in the game most of the high-production cities have no buildings left to make, and can only build units.

Well I just finished my first game as Germany. I definitely enjoyed it but here are some things I noticed that would have made it more enjoyable.

1. The AI has no idea how to use air units properly. They attack ground units with their fighters even when it is a costly attack which leaves them open to bombers. My Luftwaffe wasn't overly powerful early on but after nearly constant war and use of my bombers I was able to promote my initial bombers to Siege 3 and Logistics. Logistics is crazy powerful. This made capturing cities very easy.

2. The enemy had very small and weak armies. The only nation to even put up a bit of a fight was Britain and that was because they were gifted a unit every turn after I invaded them. However, even after I withdrew my entire army from Britain to send East to fight the USSR they couldn't really do much. They had Edinburgh completely surrounded with Infantry but after 5 turns of constant attacks they still hadn't taken the city.

3. Judging by the Leader traits I am assuming that you are going to be adding Partisan units to the French. I think that would really help. I was able to redeploy my entire army to Britain and then to the East without having to worry about any fighting in the West once France fell. Having Partisans pop up occasionally would definitely help.

4. I think Sethyboy0 is right that the AI is producing buildings for much of the game instead of units. I noticed that most cities early in the game had low defense and were easy to take but when I invaded Russia Smolensk, Kiev, and Moscow all had Defense scores of 65 or more even without any units garrisoned. I don't think this would be possible unless they were building defensive buildings during the 40 turns before I captured them.

5. I didn't realize this but capturing your enemies' capitals ends the game. Playing as Germany I found Paris, London, and even Moscow to a lesser extent to be very easy to capture. The AI just makes very little attempt to defend them. I think if the AI were to use Fighters for Intercepts it would make capturing cities much more difficult as I was able to bomb a city down to 1 HP in 1-2 turns and then just mop up with a land unit, especially after I got Logistics promoted bombers.

I think I might try again as either Britain or USSR on a higher difficulty and see if I see the same things. I definitely enjoyed playing it but I just wish that I had encountered more resistance.

thanks !

and yep, the naval and air issues are going up in the priority list.

my first attempt will be to force AI fighters mission to "intercept" at start of turn.

about the number of units, I'm a bit reticent to make the AI "cheat" too much, but if even in deity it don't produce enough, I'll have to do something for it then.

Edit: I can confirm that the bug happened after I ended my 30th turn and went into my 31st. I have uploaded the autosave from turn 29 (so you can end turn and get the bug) and the autosave from turn 30 (so the bug happens as soon as you load the save)

thanks, looking at it now...

I'm at turn 50 now and I can say that Germany has finished producing its buildings and is spamming out tons of units.

Basically, if you want to really kick ass, blitz your enemies as fast as possible before they have a chance to build up.

I'm at turn 50 now and I can say that Germany has finished producing its buildings and is spamming out tons of units.

Basically, if you want to really kick ass, blitz your enemies as fast as possible before they have a chance to build up.

Yeah I think that is the biggest problem right now. Playing as Germany I conquered Moscow on turn 42 I think so nobody really got a chance to build any units. I produced maybe 10 units and bought another 10 in my game but the AI produced almost nothing. My Blitzkrieg strat was a little too powerful. But I was also playing on Prince so I am going to see if it changes on a higher difficulty.

Guys try playing as the UK its actually far more difficult =p ... playing as the germans you can blitz your way through the game quickly...

Something that seem to really mess it up for Italy is the fact that they can only attack "Nice" from 1 tile, making it very difficult to capture it. Italy sent troops around but then they get the supply issue and they never really get anywhere despite outnumbering the french. I suggest you change the 2 tiles above Nice to hills, so units can move through there as well.

But I was also playing on Prince so I am going to see if it changes on a higher difficulty.
that's why I've set the default difficulty to deity. As/If the mod improves the AI at some point, I will change the default difficulty setting, but before it's done you should play at that level if you want a challenge (and report if it's not challenging enough at that level :D ).

Something that seem to really mess it up for Italy is the fact that they can only attack "Nice" from 1 tile, making it very difficult to capture it. Italy sent troops around but then they get the supply issue and they never really get anywhere despite outnumbering the french. I suggest you change the 2 tiles above Nice to hills, so units can move through there as well.

In almost all my test when playing Germany, Italy always get Nice and Marseille at least (except in V6/V7 where I've given a few more units to France and not to Italy, so I've added some to Italy too in V8)

But anyway I don't think Italy AI should be able to invade south of France easily, the Nice defensive value is something I want to keep.

OK so I started another game as the Soviets on Deity. I managed to conquer Brest-Litovsk and Lwow in Poland before the Germans so that gave me a nice buffer zone for their eventual War Dec. I also captured Helsinki during the war with Finland but declined to advance any farther. Here are some things that I have noticed:

1. Germany is getting their butt kicked. You can see from the screenshots that 2 turns after they declared war on me they have been pushed back nearly out of France and have very few units left to defend the Western Front. Their war over there was going fairly well early but they suffer heavily from the attrition of nearly constant warfare and low unit production. You can also see that I outnumber them about 3-1 on the Eastern Front and will likely massacre them pretty soon.

I think Germany would likely benefit from an extension of the timeline to give them more time to defeat an enemy before declaring war on their next foe. They had just finished fighting Poland when they War Dec'd Denmark and Norway and then the next turn they Dec'd Holland and Belgium. This would also give their later opponents time to build up some defense but their early opponents would just get steamrolled by their overwhelming early Army and Air Force.

2. France made some gains in Italy early on but the Italians have countered and appear likely to take Marseille and then Nice.

3. The Materiel shortage didn't really affect me at all as the Soviets. I think the Materiel issues with the Germans stem from the free Blitz promotion which makes them use tanks far more than any other power. Giving Germany some more Factories might help them.

4. The Soviet economy is rough. I was struggling to break even for most of the game and I was getting close to the point where I was about to have to stop producing units. I ended up manually going through every one of my cities to make sure that they were working as many gold hexes as possible, which wasn't very fun. Maybe you could remove some of the roads from the far eastern cities?

*A couple of possible bugs I noticed*

1. I noticed that a few of my units and 1 of the German units had the "Supply Line Cut" marker over them even though they should have been supplied. I don't think it was actually affecting their combat stats though. You should be able to see it in the screenshot.

2. On one turn for some reason my production of T-34s in Moscow and Stalingrad was cancelled with no warning. A couple turns later I was able to build them again.

I think I am going to start another game as either Italy or UK tomorrow. I think I am leaning toward Italy as UK doesn't seem too difficult.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 378
  • Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 339
Thanks !

1/ germany may need a second "wave" of units, or maybe a full industry at start (for the AI), yes.

3/ depend if you use KV-1 intensively... I will add an armor promotion to the heavy tanks, right now the T-34 is a much much better choice (well it should be a very good choice, but not that much compared to the KV-1)

4/ wanted, you can't have strong reinforcements and strong economy and strong tanks and strong everything, that would be imbalanced. A button to set global citizen focus have already been requested, and I may add one as a middle-ground solution.

the bugs :

1/ seen this one, the unit don't have the promo but it's shown, I'll have to see what's wrong in my conversion of this mod.

2/ is confirmed too, the player is submitted to an unit ratio that was intended for the AI, will be fixed in v.8

About the Ireland/danemark bug, thanks for the savegames, I think I've an idea of what's going on...

I've made a function to liberate plot that a player may have gain via a city capture but that was belonging to a friend of the actual owner.

For example, Germany invade Poland, some of Poland territory is linked to Prague, France capture Prague and then get the captured Polish territory with the city and keep it.

The function was a fix for that, but added this bug, I think it will be fixed in v.8

The other issue is maybe related to France diplomacy : if France made peace with Spain or Portugal, so do you.

I'm not really sure on how to fix that last point, but the simpler way may be to ask the player if he really want to become permanently allied with another civ before making the alliance, so if you want to go and conquest every CS you could.

I will also add a function to make a minor civ pick a side when attacked. And some major DoW automatically when one of their colonies represented by a CS is attacked.

I got version 5 to work and I have to say I'm enjoying it, but Version 7 still wont work for me. I've done everything, including extracting the files and all, but when it gets to 81/105 on my mod browser when installing the mod for use it freezes my computer and I'm forced to shut it off. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I'd like to play the updated version.

The mod browser is crashing for unknown reasons when trying to install the core files, you have to extract the files manually in the mod folder using an archive manager like 7zip (and remove the .civ5mod files from this folder), and don't use install from the ingame mod browser.

New version available (download) :

v0.8 (Aug 25, 2011):
- Bugfix : Captured territories was wrongly liberated in some cases when making a permanent alliance
- Bugfix : Unit ratio for AI was wrongly applied for the human player too
- Feature : allied and friend CS give you a portion of their reinforcements in materiel and personnel
- Feature : "Fall of Poland" when Warsaw is captured by Germany or USSR with territory splitting if both are still at peace.
- Feature : add probability and more units available for calling reserve troops by the AI
- Feature : liberating a CS city give a diplo boost
- Balance : infantry start with city siege (+20% against cities)
- Balance : remove one movement point to a retreating unit (was all).
- Balance : occupied cities produce less reinforcement than normal cities unless an Administrative Building is build
- Added: third (this one's even smaller, damn bugs, taking all my time !) batch of units from danrell's WW2 packs:
- Poland units: infantry, Vickers MkE Type A, 10TP, PZL P.11, PZL P.37​

note: each version adding new units is incompatible with all previous save, end your current game before upgrading !

Top Bottom