COTM 108 First Spoiler - Middle Ages

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
COTM108 Japan: First Spoiler - Middle Ages

This is the first spoiler for COTM108. In order to post in this thread, or to read further down this thread than this post you must have played the game to the middle ages, or submitted or abandoned your game.

Do not discuss anything that happens in the middle ages. Do not disclose locations of resources or any other spoiler information.

Please limit map posting to the starting continent.

Hi,

This is my timeline for the COTM108 QSC. As it is the very first time, I post a QSC result, I hope everything is ok :

4000 BC Move worker W to discover the wheat. Move the settler NW to start with 2 GB + 1 G+Wheat and water.
3950 BC Kyoto founded. Search for Alphabet (to get Philosophy 1st)
3450 BC Hut opened by culture with barbarians inside. New contact : Portugal. Trade The Wheel vs Pottery + 10g
3000 BC Most advanced : #7
2800 BC Contact France. Trade Wheel + Pottery vs BW + 10g
2670 BC Contact Korea. Trade Wheel + Pottery vs Alphabet + Warrior code + 10g
1990 BC Portugal steal me 23g
1990 BC Happiest nations : #8
1500 BC Trade Korea : Writing vs IW + Masonry + 150g. Trade Portugal : Writing vs 48g. Trade France : Writing + 110g vs Mysticism
1175 BC 1st to Philosophy. Trade Portugal : Philosophy vs Horseback + 46g. Trade Korea : Philosophy + Literature vs Mathematics. Trade France ; Philosoph vs 52g.
1075 BC France destroyed a town from Portugal...
1000 BC Iron linked. 8 towns, 1 settler, 3 workers, 5 warriors, 2 archers, 4 spearmen, 1 curragh

Haven't tried GOTMs or COTMs but decided to give this one a try after a long break from Civ. :)

First turn moved the settler next to the river. When the borders expanded the hut popped 3 barbs and had bad luck with rng... barbs killed almost half of my population. Had a little skirmish with the portuguese very early but nothing special happened.

I managed to keep the tech lead to the middle ages and was preparing swords to attack the koreans but then the portuguese sneak attacked me in the south when my army was in the north! They took my gems but i made a counter-attack and took them back.

Entering the middle ages i'm still in despotism bevause of the war with portuguese. Planning to wipe them out and then revolt to republic.

I only recently started with the Civilization series. This is my first GotM and only second game at Emperor difficulty.

I took a little too long getting the 4 turn settler pump at my capital operational, but don't think my start went too badly overall. Around 1000 BC my empire spanned 11 cities (29 population), 4 workers plus 2 cheaply bought slaves, 7 warriors, 9 spearmen and 3 curraghs. Both horses and iron connected and the republic slingshot within a few turns reach. I had so far stayed at peace with my neighbours, but France had taken Lisbon early so only Korea was somewhere close to my own level.

In hindsight I should have started a war earlier, but being the aggressor is not yet a very dominant trait in my playstyle... Portugal recovered its strength in time, and decided to attack my first settlement on their side of the southern mountain range. They brought the still weak French into the conflict as well and I took quite a few losses pushing their invading troops consisting primarily of swordsmen back from the mountains until I had scrambled together enough catapults to gain an advantage. I entered the Middle Ages having taking Lisbon with a combined force of swordsmen, horsemen and catapults, establishing it as a base for further retaliation into their territories.

COTM 108

Settler west sees the wheat, worker north. Next turn move worker north and consider to move another two turn for the coast tile NW of the wheat. But then decide against it and settle on the tobacco in turn 2. after seeing the lands, i wished i had wandered further…

Start on Pot, build an initial settler
3500 get 25g from the hut on border expansion. See wine and 2nd wheat
3350 meet Portus, they have Alpha but wont accept TW for it. Yet.
3250 first settler out
3200 decide to trade TW+5gpt+3g for Alpha, even though that seems to be a very steep price… start on Wri
3050 found 2nd town SW of 2nd wheat, S-SE-SE of capital
2800 meet France (i still have no troops), they and Ports are now up Mas and BW. Good they have techs, but of course now it looks better i would not have made the TW deal.
2630 gran in capital
2510 see horses in the south
2430 first settler from factory; warrior-settler combo factory from here on!
2390 curragh as first military unit built 
2310 see French curragh, a rare sight
2270 first barb camp, lucky they did not come earlier
2230 Ports have 160+ gold, how come?
2150 see gems in the south
1990 meet Korea and can make a fine deal: TW+CB for BW, WC, 2 slaves and 35g. they also have IW
1910 strategically build a town by the gems, securing those and horses. Connect first lux to all towns (except the new one)
1830 found 5th town S-S-SW of cap
1725 horses connected; Writing in. 2 slaves look too juicy, trade Wri fort hem+HB+112g with Portus; 91g+Mas with France; IW+25g with Korea
1650 N-NE-NE-NE
1625 2nd gran finished
1575 find iron to the north
1350 gems connected
1225 Philo in, not early enough to get Rep. Someone on the other continent got it first.
Abandon game.

again, the remaining time won´t be enough for me to finish the game. so i decided to sink no more time into this. currently cannot see how i could participate in the XOTM.

other than the lost SS, i was far ahead in everything. no idea how the other continent managed to get Philo. but surely there was some fast and sloppy playing on my side.

t_x

Well, if Astronomy is enough, then The Great Lighthouse will also do.

Not saying that this was the case, as you can get Astronomy fairly early as well. Just four Technologies into the Middle Ages, one of which you should be able to get by trade from Scientific tribes.

I got domination in the same year: 650 AD. What a coincidence!
But I had bad luck with the Lighthouse: one turn before I would have finished it, Amsterdam built it on the other continent... [pissed]

Then I thought for a short moment about using the "two-step suicide ferry process", but as the gaps were too far and too many, I thought I would lose too many galleys in the process and so opted for going for Astronomy. After Astronomy and taking Amsterdam as the first target, the conquest of the other continent was then quite quick. I guess the capacity-3 ships together with movement 5 enabled me to catch up the lost time compared to supersova's game?!
Also I was able to sell some of my tech advantage to the other continent and use the cash for upgrading lot's of galleys and horsemen. So the other continent basically financed their own demise... :devil:

Top Bottom