New TOT install w/ TOTPP & Catfish's Graphics Modpack

RecurCivity

Chieftain
My Civ2 playing has been reinvigorated since discovering this forum and being able to install my old original Civ2 on my Win7 laptop using the patches and instructions I found here. (Thank you, everyone!) So when I got an Amazon gift card, I bought a used boxset of Civ Chronicles. It's in really good condition -- looks never used, except for the box slip cover -- and I'm excited about trying out the "new" Civs, especially TOT.

I installed ToT using Catfish's instructions, using the most recent TOTPP patch*, then tried installing Catfish's attractive graphics modpack. I have the TOTPP terrain overlay set as it says in the instructions, but I get a really garbled map. When I uninstall the graphics modpack, the original goes back to its dull-but-functional normality.

I really want to have the brighter, more distinguishable graphics from the modpack (I find the original so ugly, I haven't played TOT yet, except to test it). I'm attaching the screenshots I made.

I appreciate any help!

*TOTPP 0.9.1 -- not the one posted today. I will try that & see if using the updated patch makes a difference.

Attachments

• strangeTOTscreen.png
    strangeTOTscreen.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 403
  • another strange TOT screen.png
    another strange TOT screen.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 395
  • NormalTOTscreen.png
    NormalTOTscreen.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 304
Looks like the overlay patch is not kicking in, either because it's not enabled in the launcher, or the @OVERLAYS section is missing from Rules.txt. The latter should look something like this:
Code:
@OVERLAYS
For, 16, 32, 133
Hil, 16, 32, 297
Mou, 16, 48, 199
Jun, 16, 32, 1

Only thing I changed to overlays in 0.10 is a bug fix, so upgrading won't make much of a difference for this problem I suspect. If you can't get it to work, feel free to post TOTPP.ini & Rules.txt so I can take a look.

Looks like the overlay patch is not kicking in, either because it's not enabled in the launcher, or the @OVERLAYS section is missing from Rules.txt. The latter should look something like this:
Code:
@OVERLAYS
For, 16, 32, 133
Hil, 16, 32, 297
Mou, 16, 48, 199
Jun, 16, 32, 1

Only thing I changed to overlays in 0.10 is a bug fix, so upgrading won't make much of a difference for this problem I suspect. If you can't get it to work, feel free to post TOTPP.ini & Rules.txt so I can take a look.

O frabjous day! The upgrade actually does fix it! (I'd reinstalled the patch -- and the graphics, even individually -- several times yesterday, so I know it was the upgrade that fixed it. Either that or the Goddess of Strategy Gaming has smiled upon me today! :))

Thank you, NamelessOne! And everyone else who's done such good and generous work here!

Wouldn't have expected that to fix it. Makes me wonder if there was something wrong in the previous version, but glad to hear it's working at least. :)

It's my fault. I obviously can't keep pace with your changes. I was uploading the fix to my site as you posted. I forgot to add a line to the installer batch file that copies over the new rules file with the required @OVERLAYS section. AmeliaAT's post has also helped me spot the same issue with the Extended Original game. The new version of the mod pack is up. Uninstall the old version through Install.bat. Re-download the pack and reinstall. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this in the ToTPP thread, because at least one person stated that they'd tried the new terrain overlays version.

It's my fault. I obviously can't keep pace with your changes. I was uploading the fix to my site as you posted. I forgot to add a line to the installer batch file that copies over the new rules file with the required @OVERLAYS section. AmeliaAT's post has also helped me spot the same issue with the Extended Original game. The new version of the mod pack is up. Uninstall the old version through Install.bat. Re-download the pack and reinstall. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this in the ToTPP thread, because at least one person stated that they'd tried the new terrain overlays version.

Hi, Catfish! I found another quirk or two -- though I haven't tried with your new modpack, but since it's a slightly different sort of issue, I thought I'd post the screenshots here.

The civ'pedia entries for the Wonders and the Improvements are wonky. The smaller icons aren't appearing correctly (they don't seem to be associated with the right spots on the file or something?) for either section, and the text for the Wonders is jumbled up, by which I mean that the text that describes which effects go with which Wonder aren't matched properly. For example, it says that Darwin's Voyage eliminates the period of unrest between governments, and the Eiffel Tower acts as a police station. I haven't read every description of the Wonders, but none of the ones I did click came up correctly. The descriptions for the Improvements appears to be correct, though.

Attachments

• CivTOTstrangeImps.png
    CivTOTstrangeImps.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 293
  • CivTOTstrangeWonderDesc.png
    CivTOTstrangeWonderDesc.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 258
  • CivTOTstrangeWonders.png
    CivTOTstrangeWonders.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 268
The graphics from Improvements.bmp have been corrupted because of a long-standing copy-and-paste typo in my mod installer where the Icons.bmp file was backed up in its place. I corrected that at the same time as the above fixes. I've attached the original Improvements.bmp file from the Original game. Put it in your Original_Graphics\backup folder, and if you've restored the Original game files from that backup, put it in the Original folder as well.

Those mismatched Civilopedia descriptions are the sorts of things you expect to find when you use pedia.txt from an earlier version of Civ2 with ToT, eg, like the file found in the main ToT folder. That's independent of my mod. Where are you saving your saved games? Your Original games should be saved in the Original subfolder.

Attachments

• ToT_Improvements.rar
    240.8 KB · Views: 206
Hmm, I'll have to check the saved game issue. I thought I was saving them to the Original folder.

Thanks for the bmp -- will this fix the Wonders problem (the graphical one, not the descriptions), as well, or is that a different bmp?

It was caused when the graphics mod was uninstalled and the batch file restored the incorrect file. So if you've uninstalled the mod, yes, placing the file in those folders will fix it. If you plan to install the fixed version of the mod that I uploaded today, it won't matter so much, as a working Improvements.bmp file will replace whatever one you have in the Original folder.

Top Bottom