Pocatello builds Forbidden Palace in 2 turns?

Vajrajina

Chieftain
Turn 173: Pocatello Entered the Renaissance Era.
Turn 175: Pocatello completed the Forbidden Palace.

I would have a hard time expressing my frustration over this matter. I could have built the thing ages ago, but I was confident that nobody else was in the Ren era, so they couldn't contest it (just kept building cargo ships).

How is this possible? I seriously doubt he used an Engineer. But even if he did, 2 turns (maybe 1?) is way, WAY over the fence.

I don't think AI is capable of using Great Engineers (unfortunately) but that would seem most likely explanation, since that will give him FP turn after. Even with multiple production caravans it seems unlikely that he could finish it in two turns. What difficulty level are you playing on, and are you using mods that change AI behaviour?

I've had Alexander enter Renaissance Era and the very next turn build the forbidden Palace. It's obvious he popped an Engineer.

First I was angry, but later on I tipped my hat and said: "Well played, Alex."

The ai maybe did use the great engineer and took an extra turn of building to finish the wonder. Some larger wonders sometimes still need a few more turns to finish after the use of an engineer.

I would be hard pressed to believe they have the brains to do that, and also that he just-so-happened to have an Engineer to get the main wonder I wanted for my diplo game.

I'm on Emperor. I have no mods or anything like that.

So what's the problem? ^^ You didn't get the wonder because you delayed it forever? Okay, that will make the game slightly more difficult. Things don't always go the way you plan them, that's part of Civ 5. Now you know that AIs can snipe wonders. Adapt your strategy and move on.

Also, sometimes it seems the AI can use GEs to snipe wonders from YOU even if you try to save/reload. Though uncommon, that can happen, especially if they have a spy in your capital.

On the plus side, you have cargo ships which mean more money/growth. Hopefully that can cut your losses.

I would be hard pressed to believe they have the brains to do that, and also that he just-so-happened to have an Engineer to get the main wonder I wanted for my diplo game.

I'm on Emperor. I have no mods or anything like that.

The AI can and does use great engineers to rush wonders. The AI love the FP so don't be surprised that they rushed it.

If it's T175 and you still haven't had time to complete FP, something's wrong. Try working on your growth and science: a tech lead is the best way to secure an important wonder. It's quite possible to hit ST by that point and even well before it, so you would have had Banking a long time ago. I'd probably start working on it pretty soon after Banking unless I had something really critical I needed to get up, because you never know when an AI is going to hit the Renaissance and start building it, and they may have better hammers than you.

I was ahead in the things you suggest, the reason why I didn't go for it is exactly that: Everyone else was in the Medieval era. So I believed that as long as I don't get a ,,An unmet player/x have entered the Renaissance era", I'm safe.

I've reloaded cuz I can, got and got the FP. Just to give you an idea how well I'm doing in science: I'm in the modern era, 3 of them are industrial the rest are still back in the Ren era. So that's not a problem.

I just underestimated the venerable AI.

I can confirm the AI will use Great Engineers, its frustrating I know but remember people complain equally about the AI being lacklustre.
It is programmed to win afterall, and Forbidden Palace happens to be one of those Wonders that is highly relevant to multiple victory strategies.

We do it to them. It would be cheating if they did NOT rush it.

Also, sometimes it seems the AI can use GEs to snipe wonders from YOU even if you try to save/reload. Though uncommon, that can happen, especially if they have a spy in your capital.
That might also be an affect of the weird "cheating" behaviour the AI does that someone reported, namely that it will build a wonder all but the last turn, then start building something else, and then when another player is 1 turn away from having finished the wonder, the AI will turn production back to that wonder and finish it just before them. If you reload to a couple of turns before, the AI will just choose to finish it a couple of turns before, and will always beat you by 1 turn.

Btw. I'm pleased to hear if AI is actually capable of using GEs. I usually see the AI having GEs sitting unused in their cities but maybe they just don't have any available wonders. They do regularly plant them as Manufactories from my experience.

What's the big deal? DOW 'im and "build" the wonder with troops. :)

Be careful with his bonus attack in his own territory, though. I mean, sure it's the AI, but you never know.

Btw. I'm pleased to hear if AI is actually capable of using GEs. I usually see the AI having GEs sitting unused in their cities but maybe they just don't have any available wonders. They do regularly plant them as Manufactories from my experience.

If you usually see GE sitting unused in cities then they aren't regularly planted as manufactories.

The AI actually does that fairly often, but it is picky about its wonders, it may take a while before a wonder they actually want is available and it may never happen if they are behind in tech. So it isn't rare to see a GE waiting endlessly to be used for a wonder that will never be put in queue.

However sometimes it happens, I can confirm that as well.

I don't think AI is capable of using Great Engineers (unfortunately) but that would seem most likely explanation
It can.

Use of that type of great person ability was the only thing I could find in the XMLs. I couldn't find anything regarding using them as tile enhancements.

From what I recall, the entries related in some way to number of turns, ie perhaps the number of turns it will hold onto a great person for rushing/bulbing something.

If you usually see GE sitting unused in cities then they aren't regularly planted as manufactories.
Now you're taking my words to literally, I guess I should have used the word frequently rather than usually. Anyway, I do see AI planting manufactories fairly often, it might have to do with the fact that I modded manufactories to increase production yields to make them a more viable alternative to rushing a wonder, I don't remember if AI also planted their engineers in original game.

Also, doesn't do the Forbidden Palace require the Patronage tree to be unlocked? Maybe it took the AI one turn to get the tree open.

Top Bottom